Thread: Diffuser / Shadows

Default Diffuser / Shadows

With a Stofen Omni Bounce on my SB28, can I just use the flash directed at my subjects, without bouncing off a ceiling? Does this still soften the lighting and reduces shadows? Or is it necessary to bounce the Omni-bounce off a ceiling?

Reason I am asking is becos' if I shoot pix of my 15mth baby, may be too far below a ceiling to bounce the flash effectively.

The stofen Omni Bounce have a reduce factor of 2.5. If you aim direct at the subject, the flash output will be less by 2.5 times.

I don't really think it will have the bounce effect. I used SB28 with Stofen Omni bounce too.

ToMyself
    Guests

Default Re: Diffuser / Shadows

For a on-camera flash to produce soft lighting it must first be fitted with a diffusor. Secondly, the diffusor surface area MUST be larger than the subject.

Unless the Stofen Omni Bounce is larger than your baby, the flash output will still behave like a direct point source. It will remain harsh and you will still see hard shadows.

Your SB28 has a guide number of 36. Reasonably powerful for a small flash. Its flash head is designed to swivel in almost all directions. So there's no limit to where you can bounce off the light and you should take full advantage of the swivel feature.

Without the Stofen diffusor attached, the white curtain, white wall, white foam board are some of the surfaces you can bounce the light off. The ceiling is only a commonly recommended one.

Default Re: Re: Diffuser / Shadows

Originally posted by ToMyself
    For a on-camera flash to produce soft lighting it must first be fitted with a diffusor. Secondly, the diffusor surface area MUST be larger than the subject.

Unless the Stofen Omni Bounce is larger than your baby, the flash output will still behave like a direct point source. It will remain harsh and you will still see hard shadows.

Your SB28 has a guide number of 36. Reasonably powerful for a small flash. Its flash head is designed to swivel in almost all directions. So there's no limit to where you can bounce off the light and you should take full advantage of the swivel feature.

Without the Stofen diffusor attached, the white curtain, white wall, white foam board are some of the surfaces you can bounce the light off. The ceiling is only a commonly recommended one.
    So, I would still have to bounce the flash to 'soften' the shadows then? Okie dokie.