Thread: Falling Flower

Default Falling Flower

Hi everyone,

I've been practising shooting flowers for the past month with my AF-S 60/2.8 and I thought it would be good post a couple of shots here once in a while to get some feedback from you guys.

The following shot was taken in the balcony of the house (not mine) I'm putting up at now. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the flower's name is, and neither does my host family know. I would definitely try to find out though! I am intending to buy an encyclopedia or some other reference book so I can label my flowers properly.

What I was trying to achieve with this particular angle was the sense that the flower is falling into the blurred background. I got the stigmas in focus as they seem to be reaching up towards the viewer, giving the sense that the flower is grabbing into the air to stop its fall. It also lends a more 3D feel to the picture. Among the batch of photos I took that morning this was one of two that I particularly like.

I would like comments on:
    1. Composition. Does it convey the theme to you?
    2. DOF. Too little, too much, or just nice?
    3. Any other comments!

Nikon D40X, AF-S 60/2.8, f5.6, 1/80s, ISO100, handheld, no flash, slight PP to enhance contrast and colour saturation.

Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

Zhaowei

Default Re: Falling Flower

You might want to cropped to square for this type of composition.

The shallow DOF works for me, only nit is the distracting dark patches on the right background, prefer to have a more even background.

Hi Leong,

Thanks for your comments. I was thinking the same thing about the square crop and the background. It was quite a shame that I didn't pay enough attention to the background when I was shooting.

In retrospect, I think quite a few of my flora shots would look good with a square crop. If only D40X has a built-in square crop function. The only realistic alternative I can think of now is taping a filter to square the lens perspective, which isn't very pragmatic.

Zhaowei

I love cropping to squares. if the camera can do gradient overlay wowee i will so love it.

great shot btw, you will get a better background some other time. cheers
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bleh/
    let the universe surprise you .)

Here's my thought on creating illusion of motion. There's a need for a comparison between the moving and stationary. Example in horizontal motion, a panning shot. You get the feel of motion with a blurred background and a sharp object. In this pic, i guess it lacks that.

In addition, if the flower falls, there will be some kind of spiralling movement of the flower. Perhaps in adding that, motion blur due to spiralling of the flower, can enhance the illusion of a falling flower. If the flower cannot be moved, this illusion can perhaps be created by the photograher's movement during the shutter action.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by zhaowei View Post

In retrospect, I think quite a few of my flora shots would look good with a square crop. If only D40X has a built-in square crop function. The only realistic alternative I can think of now is taping a filter to square the lens perspective, which isn't very pragmatic.

Zhaowei
    i thought u can use some PP softwares to crop the photo?

I find your DOF to be a little too shallow for such an angle because the blurred out area right behind the style or stamen is rather distracting. For a flower like this, I will probably shoot from another angle.