Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations For My First DSLR...

Default Re: Recommendations For My First DSLR...

Thanks for the comments... will still go look around abit more before confirming.

suggest you get a 350D kit or similiar from b&s...

your first camera will not be your last

the technology is fine for the sprinkles...

all you need is a box to capture light. save your money for good lenses.

buying into a new system is very costly

unless you are sure you will have repeated income in LARGE amounts... start small

start modest

2nd hand body, cheap zoom....

spend less than S$600

wait 6 months to a year ...

UPGRADE

Thanks for the tips
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by Benosaurous View Post
    A tip to choose your camera, do more research on the lens build up, because eventually u will go into them. and which type of photography you are looking forward to, do the research with the model of lens, their strength and weakness, and which brand will provide you with what you need. hope that helps

basically in my own opinion canon is really good with sports, night and nature photography(birding, wild animals etc).

wherelse nikon is really good in wide angle, portraits photography

but what in the end, i would say the difference is minor, as technology will improve, and each brand might catch up with one and another. You must love your camera, and believe that hardware doesnt make much difference as long as you are comfortable with what you are using, you will take good photos with the correct skills applied
    This is a cool tip, it helps alot! thanks.
    Last edited by sto12m; 10th July 2008 at 04:31 PM.

more or less confirm going down next monday to get the camera. Got a question on drybox though, i know they have those mini cupboard 30l types but i dun think i need such a big one. Are there any smaller ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth83 View Post
    more or less confirm going down next monday to get the camera. Got a question on drybox though, i know they have those mini cupboard 30l types but i dun think i need such a big one. Are there any smaller ones?
    Is it lack of space to put the dry cabinet that you're worried about? I don't think they use a lot of electricity. And that gives you space to grow. After all, you need space for the speedlight, ultra-wide, super telephoto, macro, fast 50mm. Maybe you should get a 50l

shouldnt compare the 450 with the d60 tho. should be against the 1000d. just a note

but whatever system you get. bottom line is have fun and dont regret

Quote Originally Posted by Raied View Post
    shouldnt compare the 450 with the d60 tho. should be against the 1000d. just a note

is the 1000d here in sg yet? it came out in june right?

Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    Is it lack of space to put the dry cabinet that you're worried about? I don't think they use a lot of electricity. And that gives you space to grow. After all, you need space for the speedlight, ultra-wide, super telephoto, macro, fast 50mm. Maybe you should get a 50l
    wah 50l... must make space in my room liaos... haha... nah dun think i need so much space though, just enough to put the kit and lens as I dun think I will be getting more stuff until maybe a year later when my income starts to increase(kinda still a student now).

Quote Originally Posted by Raied View Post

thats what i feel also 12mp vs 10mp, a bit not fair...anyway this comparsion, the 450d sure wins hands down.
    given the low pricing of 1000d over in japan, looks like d60 sales is going downwards

is the 1000d here in sg yet? it came out in june right?
    wait for next year then perhaps the price would be cheaper by then...dont know what entry lvl canon will announce next...

I guess the only thing putting me off about the D60 is the autofocus.
    go straight for D80. problem solved. top up few hundred more.

if i had gotten the D80 instead of my D40x, i wouldn't be in the situation where i find myself lusting (and ordered already ) the D300.

ok, actually i lust for the D3 la.. but that's outta reach. and had i gotten the D80, i'd be lusting for the higher end nikons anyway but would have no excuse to switch.

i'm not sure about the "dual lens kit" lenses for the d40/d60, BUT the 18-200mm is kinda off-balance because the D40/60 are so compact and light. it's a pain to shoot with for long

Edit: Whatever you do, if you are serious about this hobby, do spend that little bit more to get the D80. or the canon or whatever. think AHEAD!

if u are the kind that just dabbles in alot of things, then get entry-level. that way u dun "lose" so much. not sure about the rest but the D40/x/60 shd be more than enuff for you intially at least.

i didn't do my homework before i got the D40x. i had some prior experience in DSLR in school and wanted to get my own D300 but was quite stunned by the price as a first-time SLR buyer. but i kind of wanted some excuse to upgrade in the future, back then.. just that i didn;'t know that i'd want to upgrade just 7 months plus after buying my d40x
    Last edited by boyboy; 11th July 2008 at 09:24 AM. Reason: add more info without creating new post

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    technology wise, canon is ahead with their iso noise performance due to the cmos sensor.
    That was true one year ago. Not now.

Quote Originally Posted by acpical View Post
    That was true one year ago. Not now.
    only nikon FF range is closing the gap but the DX range, read about some canon 5d users over in dpreview complaining about noise in all levels of iso in the d300.
    although is an unfair comparsion between FF vs DX, the nikon DX range still havent close in the gap in noise reduction technology on the mid-range and entry lvl like d80 and d60.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 11th July 2008 at 09:42 AM.

only nikon FF range is closing the gap but the DX range, read about some canon 5d users over in dpreview complaining about noise in all levels of iso in the d300.
    although is an unfair comparsion between FF vs DX, the nikon DX range still havent close in the gap in noise reduction technology on the mid-range and entry lvl like d80 and d60.
    Ok. So you read about CANON 5D users complaining about the NIKON D300 noise.... and you sound surprised?

As for The D3, that sensor was wholly developed by Nikon. The D40/60/80/200/300 sensors are sony sensors.
    Alpha

ok abit confused here... is the sensor on the D60 good or bad when it comes to noise which i presume happens with higher iso?

Planning to get the camera on monday. think i will head down to MS Colour later in the afternoon to check out the prices. I guess the only good thing about getting the nikon is that I can borrow lens from my neighbor to get a feel before i commit next time. But it seems that the whole D60 vs 450D issue is more in favour of the 450D as the 450D is in a different class. Or should I just burn a bigger hole in my pocket and get the D80 and practice with the kit lens until i am better?
    Last edited by Kenneth83; 11th July 2008 at 02:28 PM.

ok abit confused here... is the sensor on the D60 good or bad when it comes to noise which i presume happens with higher iso?

Planning to get the camera on monday. think i will head down to MS Colour later in the afternoon to check out the prices. I guess the only good thing about getting the nikon is that I can borrow lens from my neighbor to get a feel before i commit next time. But it seems that the whole D60 vs 450D issue is more in favour of the 450D as the 450D is in a different class. Or should I just burn a bigger hole in my pocket and get the D80 and practice with the kit lens until i am better?
    1st of all the 10mp ccd of d80/d60 sure lose to a 10mp cmos sensor of the 400d/1000d when it comes to noise performance in higher iso levels.

but since you already decided on nikon, you should be able to work around the noise issue or you could even ask your neighbour for some advise unless he uses a d300...
    if you are so worried about the MF issue with 50mm primes, then just go straight with the d80 with no regrets.
    kit lens wise, 18-55mm vr or 18-70mm would be better than the 18-135mm.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 11th July 2008 at 03:21 PM.

1st of all the 10mp ccd of d80/d60 sure lose to a 10mp cmos sensor of the 400d/1000d when it comes to noise performance in higher iso levels.

but since you already decided on nikon, you should be able to work around the noise issue or you could even ask your neighbour for some advise unless he uses a d300...
    if you are so worried about the MF issue with 50mm primes, then just go straight with the d80 with no regrets.
    kit lens wise, 18-55mm vr or 18-70mm would be better than the 18-135mm.
    hmm... would it be advisable to get just the D80 body and the AF-S 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED DX lens on its own?

alot of things to consider sia... cos i remember someone telling me to consider spending abit more on a better body first and just get a general purpose lens to get me started. than at least when i decide to get better lens, the body doesn't "bottleneck" it...

hmm... would it be advisable to get just the D80 body and the AF-S 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED DX lens on its own?

alot of things to consider sia... cos i remember someone telling me to consider spending abit more on a better body first and just get a general purpose lens to get me started. than at least when i decide to get better lens, the body doesn't "bottleneck" it...
    the super save money way is to get everything 2nd hand cos i'm also doing that all along with my d40 onwards....

thats why ppl always emphasis on doing more homework.

d60 is a bit of a bottleneck when it comes to the primes issue, not able to AF will slow you down a bit.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 11th July 2008 at 09:59 PM.

Comparing 5D and D300? Isn't that comparing between apples and pears? I would recommend you take 5D and test it against D700.

That said, it is true that Canon tend to give better noise control and retains more detail at high ISO as compared to Nikon cameras. That is 1 of the triumph card Canon holds.

Yes if you have the budget, then D80 will obviously be a better choice than D60. However, it is not as if D60 can't take a good photos. You may need to pay a bit more for lenses with internal motor, if you want AF.
    AF-S 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED DX is very good lens It's cheap, it's constrasty, it's light and it has a very usable zoom range. You can get a 70-200mm F2.8 to add in, effectively you'll get 18-200. Finally the lens has a subject-distance meter. Most kit lens today don't have this anymore. You can save money and buy a 2nd hand lens.
    The best things in life are free.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast