Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: DSLR prices are going down down down

Lightbulb Today's straits times

Hits right to my point

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/tec...99331,00.html?

Some important points:

1. The average "joe":

"FOR technology buff Jason Tay, digital photography means being able to get that perfect shot, simply by snapping multiple pictures and deleting unwanted ones. And he hardly prints his pictures anymore because it is easier and cheaper to share pictures via e-mail"

2. The advent of digital cameras has opened up photography to many more and prompted others to pick up more sophisticated cameras. A Canon spokesman said: 'More point-and-shoot users are turning to digital single lens reflex cameras because their skills have improved and they are willing to move on to another level of photography. The falling prices also speed up the move.'

Whatever it is, i for one am a digital photography starter (one that started photography through digital cameras) and i am happy with the level of progress i have made over the past few months. With just a canon g3 and a 128mb card in my arm, i have taken hundreds of photos and have learnt immensely from each of those photos.
    So, armed with a G3 & a 128Mb worth of CF, you think you have learn alot and are happy with your level of progress. Fair 'nuff. However, your claim that when shots turned out bad, you feel the pinch.

Now, if you don't mind sharing, when was the last time you handled a film camera? When was the last time you shot off a roll of film?

"FOR technology buff Jason Tay, digital photography means being able to get that perfect shot, simply by snapping multiple pictures and deleting unwanted ones. And he hardly prints his pictures anymore because it is easier and cheaper to share pictures via e-mail"
    Case in point: Getting the perfect shot by snapping multiple shots. No dis-respect to Mr Tay, but that would hardly help you in your point at all Flinchy.

You are talking about faster learning. Which part of the shoot and delete mentality helps a photographer in learning faster? You want to convince people that digital photography is the way to go, or at least, the faster medium to work with.

Yes, that is all true. Embracing technology etc etc... but being able to review your shots sooner, being able to share them via email doesn't help you become a better photographer.

And of course, you are making all these comparison of digital being better than film for learning purposes. Now, ask yourself again, how can you substantiate all your claims that digital is better whe you have never really shot with film extensively?

--
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Pegasus
    Guests

Originally posted by Wolfgang
    So, armed with a G3 & a 128Mb worth of CF, you think you have learn alot and are happy with your level of progress. Fair 'nuff. However, your claim that when shots turned out bad, you feel the pinch.

Now, if you don't mind sharing, when was the last time you handled a film camera? When was the last time you shot off a roll of film?

Case in point: Getting the perfect shot by snapping multiple shots. No dis-respect to Mr Tay, but that would hardly help you in your point at all Flinchy.

You are talking about faster learning. Which part of the shoot and delete mentality helps a photographer in learning faster? You want to convince people that digital photography is the way to go, or at least, the faster medium to work with.

Yes, that is all true. Embracing technology etc etc... but being able to review your shots sooner, being able to share them via email doesn't help you become a better photographer.

And of course, you are making all these comparison of digital being better than film for learning purposes. Now, ask yourself again, how can you substantiate all your claims that digital is better whe you have never really shot with film extensively?

Pegasus
    Guests

Default Re: Today's straits times

Originally posted by FLiNcHY

2. The advent of digital cameras has opened up photography to many more and prompted others to pick up more sophisticated cameras. A Canon spokesman said: 'More point-and-shoot users are turning to digital single lens reflex cameras because their skills have improved and they are willing to move on to another level of photography. The falling prices also speed up the move.'
    This is obivously sales talk. Bull ****. It should be more p&s users are turning to think that they want to own a DSLR because they thought that they are good enough to use a DSLR. And I dare to say that bulk of the ex-p&s users who bought their DSLR are just half-bake pototoes who will never graduate to taking good photographs except brag about their equipments ...

for the general public, it is not getting the perfect shot by snapping multiple shots and deleting the unwanted ones, but it is choosing the better shots out of the multiple shots.

be it film or digital, to me, it is the learning process (not speed) that is important. no point being trigger happy and just picking the best out of the lot without knowing what went wrong.

whether digital would accelerate the learning depends on the individual. it cuts down the admin time, provided you have the necessaryhardware - PC, flashcard reader and etc.

i still look forward to the pleasant surprises that i get out of the developed film and the day whereby just taking 1 shot is sufficient.

just my 2 cents.

oh dear, why am i drawn into this ....

Default Re: Re: Today's straits times

Originally posted by Pegasus
    This is obivously sales talk. Bull ****. It should be more p&s users are turning to think that they want to own a DSLR because they thought that they are good enough to use a DSLR. And I dare to say that bulk of the ex-p&s users who bought their DSLR are just half-bake pototoes who will never graduate to taking good photographs except brag about their equipments ...
    thats why where possible, i try not to volunteer information, cause it is the photo that counts.

oops, must change my user CP

Originally posted by Wolfgang

dunno:
    Case closed, you are right, i am wrong.

Lets all live happily every after.

I wish to end this discussion. It is plain to see that my views are not shared by the photo savvy community here.

I could write an extensive definition argument, present clear criteria for my definition, provide relevant and sufficient evidence to support my claim, but that would all be for naught in this board.

So it ends here.

Default Re: Re: Re: Today's straits times

Originally posted by iceman
    thats why where possible, i try not to volunteer information, cause it is the photo that counts.

oops, must change my user CP
    where angels fear to tread? LOL
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

I would recommend the book "Literacies and Technologies" by Robert P.Yagelski
    Take a look at how technology has greatly improved the process of learning, then come here and offer your counter argument.
    Dun need to read Robert's book lah, cause it is plain obvious that you are having a big problem trying to justify your points.

What I am saying is that the medium helps in the process, but it does not naturally lead to one becoming a better learner or in our argument, a better photographer.

Your argument that digital camera users will lead to better photographers does not come with any facts or concrete examples, just a justification by way of conveniently stating the advantages of digital photography over film, of what could be done with the small 3 odd inch screen, and a case example that does cannot be proven.

I could write an extensive definition argument, present clear criteria for my definition, provide relevant and sufficient evidence to support my claim, but that would all be for naught in this board.
    You could, but it seems that you cannot. Your little thesis will fail miserably just like how you have failed when you presented your case with some incoherent ramblings to us.

Good for you in ending the discussion.

wah why you all must flame until so jialat..

i started off with digital ah... 717

i must say i've learnt lots from it

stuff i'd never knew in P&S cams.. i sorta know it now.. all the technical stuff..

Default Re: Re: Hmm....contradict....

Anyway, the main topic was about DSLRs becomming increasingly cheaper.Maybe in the future, message boards will be filled with people having DSLRs but asking questions more commonly associated with newbies.
    Isn't that happening right now?

yuuuuuuuuuurrrrrp

Some of the photos i see don't do the DSLR justice at all

Should just go shoot with a nikon 2500

yuuuuuuuuuurrrrrp

yuuuuuuuuuurrrrrp

yuuuuuuuuuurrrrrp

err isnt it the photographer in question here instead of the cam?
    I think it is a seperate dicussion all and all. I guess the equipment do not make a difference if it is being use by a newbie without the basic funtanmentals, the shots will still show P&S style even if it is a lecia sysem.
    Then again if a P&S cam given to a pro be it flim or digital, i believe the end results would b veri different. dun you agree??

the cam is just a tool tats all dun fault the cam for not being able to delivery what you wanted but more of the photographer himself. but having said tat cam is still important to a certain ectend cos it aids you to acheive what u wan to acheive.

Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by jeffgoh; 16th July 2003 at 12:14 PM.

yuuuuuuuuuurrrrrp

Are saying one need to take 'good' picture' before one can own a DSLR?

Talking

yuuuuuuuuuurrrrrp

plz dont fault the cam .....

bezidez ..... r u trying to imply that a nikon CP 2500 cannot be uzed to take good picz ......?? .....

if a perzon dont apply the correct fundamentalz ..... even if he / she uzez the bezt camera alzo cannot help much .....

can we stop thiz thread or something ..... ?? ..... me feel that itz a bit draggy liao ......

bezidez ..... me thought u wanted to end thiz dizcuzzion liao ...... ?? .....

juzt my TCW .....

Last edited by FOOXX; 16th July 2003 at 02:31 PM.

Deregistered

I use solely digicams. And I believe it all boils down to the individual user. Your eyes, your mentality, your critique tolerance and your willingness to change/improve. The most expensive DSLR is still little more than a paperwieght to a blind man.

Case closed, you are right, i am wrong.

Lets all live happily every after.

I wish to end this discussion. It is plain to see that my views are not shared by the photo savvy community here.

So it ends here.
    hey dude,

I see and understand what you are talking about and I agree with you.

DSLR speed up learning process. My friend took a basic photography course. In the group, some use DSLR, some SLR. Those with SLR shoot selectively when on outing. My friend who uses a DSLR shoot by trying different aperture/shutter speed, ISO etc.

All are newbies to begin with. In the end, my friend understood the concept of DOF, the relationship between aperture/speed etc and could explained to his classmates the difference by showing them series of picture with different exposure.

DSLR has an advantage in night shots (long exposure). Some lazy people with SLR did not record their settings. Hence, they cannot tell why their slides are like that. But my friend knows cos his settings are recorded in EXIF.

There was this zoo outing, 1 guy with SLR took pic of raccoons and the picture turn out blurr. He does not know why but swear that he will not take racoon again (we know he use slow shutter speed). My friend was able to preview his blur shots on the spot and use flash/bigger aperture to increase his shutter speed. Hence, he got some decent shots.

At the end of the course, my friend has thousands of images to choose from for assessments, while those with SLR has a couple of good images (2-6 rolls). One studend fed up with SLR bought a DSLR midway and enjoy the friut of learning and success.

In simple conclusion, DSLR/Digicam speed up learning. Yes, you get to preview your image on the spot, and you make changes and correction on the spot. No need to guess or do bracketing and wait for results another day. If u one is taking pics on National Day, how many National Day do you get in a year? With SLR, u just have to come back next year to try again.
    Last edited by shutterbug; 16th July 2003 at 10:57 PM.

Originally posted by Snowcrash
    Are saying one need to take 'good' picture' before one can own a DSLR?

He is saying some people buy DSLR but don't know how to use it to the fullest.

I am sure u have seen some people here use DSLR like a point and shoot camera.

Not that they are wrong, just a waste. They may end up better buying a P&S digicam.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast