Thread: Qns regarding fill flash

Default Qns regarding fill flash

Hi all,
    when in outdoor with sunlight, and say if i wanna use fill flash, do i use the flash direct?? or do i do it with a diffuser or bonuce card??
    I am currently using a SB80dx with my Nikon F80.
    For undoor fill flash wise, should i jus choose matirx balance on my flash wo diff/bounce and jus let the flash n cam do the rest???

i read somewhere that when attached a diffuser(is it that omni bounce that everyone is talking abt??) or any angle apart from the (direct angle) the flash output at it full power. So does it mean that with the diffuser, the flash alway fires at the same output be it TTL/3d martix TTL, be it shooting in the sun, or shooting in a dark room??
    I might be wrong, pls advise.

btw anyt link can i read more abt nikon flash and it's terms, i am pretty confuse over all the TTL, 3D, matrix etc....
    thanks

Default Re: Qns regarding fill flash

Originally posted by ace2001
    i read somewhere that when attached a diffuser(is it that omni bounce that everyone is talking abt??) or any angle apart from the (direct angle) the flash output at it full power. So does it mean that with the diffuser, the flash alway fires at the same output be it TTL/3d martix TTL, be it shooting in the sun, or shooting in a dark room??
    I might be wrong, pls advise.
    It does not fire at full power unless you select manual mode. The source that you read probably meant something else.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

ic, thanks for the reply,

so say if i need to use it for fill flash with the diffuser dome, i jus fire according as the cam would know tat it meant to be fill flash, or do i need to step down the flash compensation???

Originally posted by ace2001
    so say if i need to use it for fill flash with the diffuser dome, i jus fire according as the cam would know tat it meant to be fill flash, or do i need to step down the flash compensation???
    I believe the 3D matrix metering should meter the flash correctly. However, personally, I like to dial in slight negative flash compensation so that the flash is not as obvious. It is up to your personal preference.

ToMyself
    Guests

Default Re: Qns regarding fill flash

The Stofen flash diffusor serves no purpose for daylight fill-in flash.

Firstly, it forces your flash to pump out more power to compensate for the light loss. Your batteries get drained very quickly.

Secondly, your working distance will significantly be reduced. Limiting your effective flash to subject distance to less than 3 metres.

Thirdly, if you are using it for outdoor bounce. It doesn't make any sense since there are no hard white surface to bounce the light off. Unless someone is holding a huge reflector board for you. In which case you wouldn't even need a flash difussor as it serves no purpose.

You are better off using the flash directly on TTL mode and perhaps cutting the flash output by -0.5 to -1 EV.

There are several ways to achieve softened bounced light outdoors if you insist on doing so.

1. Use the flash off-camera on a high L-bracket that will allow you to fit a small brolly. Manfrotto and Stigelite makes such camera/flash brackets. The small white/silver umbrellas can be improvised or bought from Lastolite. The other bracket that holds your flash and umbrella and mounts on the stand is the Stroboframe.

2. Or, Mount a white/silver reflector to a light stand or get someone to hold it so that you can bounce your flash off it.

3. Or, simply use a white foam board to reflect light back to your subject with or without the simultaneous use of flash.

Hi all, thanks for all the informative replies =p Thanks

Jus to vertify i got it correct, Can I say that the Diffusor dome is onli usefull if it got something to bounce upon??
    And for the purpose of fill in, a diffusor dome wo bouncing(dome direct towards subject) served not much difference from a direct flash?
    Even with the Diffusor dome, the TTL metering still works?

Btw when do i use the bounce card(the white card pull out from SB80dx) and the diffusor dome??, card when i have nothing to bounce, and dome when i have something to bounce???

will be developing some pic i have tried , hope i can see some effect, thanks all =p

Default Re: Re: Qns regarding fill flash

Originally posted by ToMyself
    The Stofen flash diffusor serves no purpose for daylight fill-in flash.
    It could be useful if the purpose is to diffuse the light over a wider area or if the manual mode is used for the flash.

ToMyself
    Guests

Yes, the diffusor dome is only useful if it has surfaces close enough to bounce upon.

Yes, the diffusor with nothing to bounce on is no different from a direct flash.

Yes, the TTL function works with or without the diffusor.

When a subject is so close or the ceiling so high from the camera that the flash head is tilted almost 90, light bounced off the ceiling comes down vertically resulting in unwanted shadows around the eyebags, under the nose and chin. The built-in bounce card helps to refect some of the light to fill-in shadow areas.

The dome would see effective use if the bounced surfaces are extremely close by. It serves well as a ultra wide angle light diffusor. It serves very well as a back light for objects or people.

Mpenza, why do you need a dome for daylight omni-directional diffusion when there is already a directional diffusor built into the SB80DX flash? The built-in diffusor was designed to diffuse the flash light effectively on your subject when using a wide angle lens with minimum light wastage. Why would you want to use a dome outdoors to light up the photographer's left, right and behind whether on TTL or manual mode when the subject is clearly in front?

One use would be for taking macro shots where you want to direct some diffused light downwards to small subjects near the lens.

ToMyself
    Guests

That's one use I suppose. I believe the SB80DX flash head is designed to tilt down for macro photography.

Thanks all for the replies =p, will be evaluating my shots later =p
    thanks =p