Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Studying in the night

  1. #1

    Default Studying in the night

    Hi guys, as i was studying deep into the night I suddenly had an inspiration!



    And this is the product! What do you guys think? I basically wanted to capture the loneliness and the sad mood of mugging.

  2. #2
    Member dennisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Freezing Upp Thomson/Mandai!
    Posts
    1,987

    Default Re: Studying in the night

    the chair with fan in front of him killed the pic!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Studying in the night

    i can see the loneliness but not the sadness. the composition isn't right either, the fan with the chair is blocking and the photo frame in the photo is cut in half - you either get the whole thing in the photo or leave it out.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore, North.
    Posts
    128

    Default Re: Studying in the night

    Agree that the photo needs some considerations to bring out the lonely and sadz mood.

    The chair in front is definitely a NO.

    I wonder would a dimmer light and grainy effect could better enhance the effect.

    Or maybe taking the photo at the top left side of the subject (which could better let viewer observe what he is doing) and converting the photo to B&W can do the job too?

    cheers.
    Yong Sak.
    www.yongsak.com

  5. #5
    Member gymak90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Far North
    Posts
    1,448

    Default Re: Studying in the night

    I can understand that mugging is sad and lonely, but I can't tell that from your photo.
    1) Because I can't see any facial expression.
    2) There are too many things on the table plus the fan; they are distracting.
    3) Generally underexposed and colour tone is weird.
    4) Suggest you PP to do b&w or sepia or blue monochrome to bring out more feel.

    Keep shooting
    The best things in life are free.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Studying in the night

    Quote Originally Posted by 73H 64M3R View Post
    i can see the loneliness but not the sadness. the composition isn't right either, the fan with the chair is blocking and the photo frame in the photo is cut in half - you either get the whole thing in the photo or leave it out.
    Thanks for reminding me on the composition!


    Quote Originally Posted by dennisc View Post
    the chair with fan in front of him killed the pic!
    Oh yea, the nitty gritty details to a great photograph!


    Quote Originally Posted by yongsak View Post
    Agree that the photo needs some considerations to bring out the lonely and sadz mood.

    The chair in front is definitely a NO.

    I wonder would a dimmer light and grainy effect could better enhance the effect.

    Or maybe taking the photo at the top left side of the subject (which could better let viewer observe what he is doing) and converting the photo to B&W can do the job too?

    cheers.
    The reason why I did not convert this picture into a B/w picture is because I felt that the picture worked because of the color harmoney. I am not sure if it is due to different monitor, but it seemed that it is slightly less saturated on firefox than on safari. I guess its the different rendering, but yea, I am playing with one directional lighting.


    Quote Originally Posted by gymak90 View Post
    I can understand that mugging is sad and lonely, but I can't tell that from your photo.
    1) Because I can't see any facial expression.
    2) There are too many things on the table plus the fan; they are distracting.
    3) Generally underexposed and colour tone is weird.
    4) Suggest you PP to do b&w or sepia or blue monochrome to bring out more feel.

    Keep shooting
    1) It was on purpose that there is no facial expression because I wanted to capture the effect the lighting had on the subject. It is a kind of overall shot feeling.

    2) I am not quite sure about this because it kind of signify the huge amount of work that the student had to complete, thus the mess on the table. If the table is neat and tidy, it might turned out to be an irony. But yea, I will try that out.

    3) It was meant to be underexposed because this is not a normal snapshot. It is meant to play with the one directional lighting from the kitchen. The colour tone is being tweaked to be harmonious.(note the cup table cloth and clothes are all of the cooler colour scheme.)

    4) the same reason why I did not want to monochrome the shot. It just so happens that the colors are harmonious.

    Thanks for all the honest comments, keep them coming in! You guys had allowed me to see the photograph in a new light!

    -----------------------------------------------
    Http://crazyhamster.net for the best youth blog!

  7. #7
    Senior Member velasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PARISris , Singapore
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Re: Angelling

    Quote Originally Posted by xuanlu425 View Post
    Very good, hoped that writes a better article, here aoc gold want to propose that some my view, hoped the author holds reader's point of view, take them as the starting point, found the new breach, stood looks at the question in Age of Conan gold standpoint, like this will have is better, more real ffxi gil.
    huh?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    1,775

    Default Re: Angelling

    Quote Originally Posted by xuanlu425 View Post
    Very good, hoped that writes a better article, here aoc gold want to propose that some my view, hoped the author holds reader's point of view, take them as the starting point, found the new breach, stood looks at the question in Age of Conan gold standpoint, like this will have is better, more real ffxi gil.
    haha i also huh already.... how did final fantasy gets involved in this pic lol
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •