Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Viet Pho in Singapore?

Default Re: Viet Pho in Singapore?

try the orange lantern at killiney road, opposite the singtel building

Pho in Melbourne. the best joints are the ones at Springvale or Richmond (no surprise since these two suburbs are little Vietnam zones in their own right!). Mekong is just... over hyped, since Bill Clinton supposedly had 3 bowls there.

as for Singapore recommendations. I'll check some of the ones posted in this thread. I am missing pho quite badly, and I'll go look for some pho. mmm!
    chicken fight!

The hubs and I just tried Viet Inn at West Coast Plaza (defunct Ginza Plaza)

Soup was thick, noodles springy, sliced beef comes out medium done, medium sized beef balls with tendons... excellent thick sauce for the cold rolls... almost like the ones you get in Adelaide
    Don't Dance with the Devil in the Pale Moonlight...

Just tried this
    I am afraid it was rather disappointing
    Only redeeming factor is prices are 20% off right now

Pho Goa was better

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by LynneSaur View Post
    The hubs and I just tried Viet Inn at West Coast Plaza (defunct Ginza Plaza)

Soup was thick, noodles springy, sliced beef comes out medium done, medium sized beef balls with tendons... excellent thick sauce for the cold rolls... almost like the ones you get in Adelaide
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Hi guys, i concur with melbourne's vietnamese pho as being the best i've ever tasted UNTIL today.

a surprise call from a vietnamese colleague actually (right now its 3:30am here in Germany!).

both his friend and him took me by the hands through the entire process of preparing the soup, noodles, beef, conditioning the noodles up to lapping up the bowls, followed by authentic brewing of coffee and tea from Vietnam central highlands.

I must admit, i've changed my heart about the melbourne pho affair.

So far I've tried Pho at HV and Orange Lantern......and i've only kept going back to Orange lantern at killiney.

Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post
    Hi guys, i concur with melbourne's vietnamese pho as being the best i've ever tasted UNTIL today.

a surprise call from a vietnamese colleague actually (right now its 3:30am here in Germany!).

both his friend and him took me by the hands through the entire process of preparing the soup, noodles, beef, conditioning the noodles up to lapping up the bowls, followed by authentic brewing of coffee and tea from Vietnam central highlands.

I must admit, i've changed my heart about the melbourne pho affair.

So far I've tried Pho at HV and Orange Lantern......and i've only kept going back to Orange lantern at killiney.
    I don't know who you are, but I have determined that I will be insanely jealous and ignore you as a result

a Vietnamese friend of mine once bought me a packet of herbs that you boil the soup with. but somehow I feel that there's a lot more to just cooking the stock, and from what you said, it seems to be the case.
    chicken fight!

Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    I don't know who you are, but I have determined that I will be insanely jealous and ignore you as a result

a Vietnamese friend of mine once bought me a packet of herbs that you boil the soup with. but somehow I feel that there's a lot more to just cooking the stock, and from what you said, it seems to be the case.
    hahahha

herbs are integral, but good stock should always be prepared.

so even though it seemed like a simple bowl of noodles with beef or chicken, bean sprouts, onions and scallions, there is quite abit of cooking involved.

In fact, he broke his tradition by having both chicken and beef with the noodles, but well, it came out even better than the "combined" version too from melbourne. I felt that there was a stronger spice/herb flavour in his and sweeter than the ones in melbourne, and we did NOT use sugar at all.

so it really makes sense to make good soup stocks like how chinese do. (in fact alot of the vietnamese cooking style are similar like my old chinese malaysian days!).

Unfortunately, in Singapore, most of us are conditioned to eat non "springy" chicken and to accept that chickenmeat should be soft.

Taste, texture, subtle hints and timing are crucial when it comes to cooking. I am crazy about cooking, but its been a long time that i wanted to learn the humble pho from an viet who is as an*l as me when it comes to cooking and tasting food.

Best Viet Pho:
    Flemington, NSW, Australia --
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12