Thread: canon 50mm f1.8 lens

Red face canon 50mm f1.8 lens

hi all,
    i was thinking of getting this prime lens from canon, but the only reason that i stopping me from getting it is the usuage of this lens? can any one like give me some suggestions on what is this lens good for..etc

thanks!!

Default Re: canon 50mm f1.8 lens

honestly... if you don't know what this lens is good for, why even get it? buy lenses to solve specific needs, and not for the heck of it.
    Alpha

Can be used as a portrait lens on a crop cam.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

very good lens at 130plus$
    cos of its aperture 1.8
    i use it to take my kids
    no regrets buying

well, besides being used as a portrait lens on cropped cameras, it also can be used under low-light conditions given it's large aperture. you could use it to shoot everything else too, and let explore the limits of your imagination somewhat with the large aperture and get a good feeling of a prime lens. The lens is relatively sharper, smaller and less conspicuous than most other zoom lens, so at $130, it's truly not bad.
    1D3, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II, EF 24-70mm F2.8L, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS, Speedlite 580EX II, 420EX

Like others have said, if you can't really find a need for the lens then it's not worth buying even if its cheap. However, if you need a affordable lens for taking photos in low-light conditions then this is really a worthwhile deal. The other uses of this lens can be for taking portraits with the nice blurred background effect. Focusing is quite audible and its not the fastest so it's not very ideal for fast-moving subjects.

I just bought one from SLS Alan Photo @ $124 after bargain. Personally I find this lens good value for money and really good for low light. Very loud and slow err... actually I don;t really find it that loud or slow in fact its reasonably fast...well that its just my personal opinion and sharing my experience on this lens thats all.

Do you buy a vehicle if you don't know how to drive or have any use for it?

As Rashkae and Mark have already pointed out, if you don't have a use for it, don't buy it. Don't get it just because other poeple say it is a good lens, but you have no application for it. Lenses are meant to be used in applicable situations, not bought and added to a collection.

I use it very much indoors, at home... My other other lens is the kit lens so this f1.8 allows much better bokeh effect. The large aperture also allows me higher shutter speed to snap running kids

I only have 2 lens now.
    kits lens and this 50mm f1.8

I use the 50mm more....
    an all occasion lens in my opinion, but just too near....
    50mm.... haiz.

Quote Originally Posted by wawasan View Post
    hi all,
    i was thinking of getting this prime lens from canon, but the only reason that i stopping me from getting it is the usuage of this lens? can any one like give me some suggestions on what is this lens good for..etc

thanks!!
    Erm..... you can use it to take pictures I think... good or not depends on how you use it...