Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Practical Issue: Swapping lenses.

Originally posted by Larry
    for logistical reasons (i need to take names), i try to stick to one body alone.
    Hi Larry.

i read that sentence many times. i still don't understand it. What does taking names have to do with using one body? You can't/don't use a second body bcoz... ?

obviously there are many styles for preferred equipment load here, variety is always good! however, lets not dump on each otheres' preferences here!

anyway, for those who think that 2 bodies and 2 lenses and a third hanging in a pouch is too heavy, i guess you haven't seen pro photogs at sporting events. at F1 there were guys slinging 400 and 600mm lens all at once with a third 70-200 looking puny slung on the other side....what are you going to say to your boss if you didn't get the shot? "soori boss, equipment too heavy lah!"

and for those who want to challenge yourselves with 1 body and 1 lens! good for you! but not if you are shooting for a paying client. what happens if you didn't get a key shot? "soori lor, experimenting and didn't challenge myself enough, can't help it lah!"

on the other hand, i've seen a prominent pro photog shoot a wedding with a range finder and a 50mm prime, and looking at hes shots after that, i have the utmost respect for him!

at the end of the day, we pack our load depending on the anticipated requirements and shooting style. looking at a good shot, we dun ask, he shot with 80-200 or 85 1.4/1.2?

they haven't seen our garang guni lady at work before..

Originally posted by ST1100
    Hi Larry.

i read that sentence many times. i still don't understand it. What does taking names have to do with using one body? You can't/don't use a second body bcoz... ?
    hehheh, ok understandably confusing. for the events that i shoot (more socialite, hi-society stuff), i need to have names to the faces that i shoot (meaning if i take a group photo at some gala dinner for eg, all the people in it needs to be identified), as they're meant for publication in the magazines and media.

so, if i have 2 bodies, it's a logistical nightmare for me to keep track of the name captions for 2 bodies. for me, one body and one paper notepad works best. the events i shoot are inevitably crowded too, so i need to work fast to get the names (which must be correct otherwise my backside is toast).

besides, i've come across few events where i needed instant access to a telezoom lens or i'll miss a crucial shot. e.g. if i know the VIP is gonna go on stage and give a speech, i'd know in advance to switch lenses. anticipation is key in this kinda situation.

also, i'm too stingy to spring for a backup body hahahah. hope that clarifies what i meant earlier.

Originally posted by GitS
    i guess you haven't seen pro photogs at sporting events. at F1 there were guys slinging 400 and 600mm lens all at once with a third 70-200 looking puny slung on the other side....what are you going to say to your boss if you didn't get the shot? "soori boss, equipment too heavy lah!"
    Yes, but without the singlish.

Originally posted by Jed
    Yes, but without the singlish.

i think in those really important situations eg ROM signing of certs u wun have time to switch lens so best to go with a wide angle zoom lens.. during more relax situations eg in park can take time to change zoom lens and can always ask the couple to pose again n again.. during important situations if u missed the shot changing lens there's no way of replaying that particular scene anymore..

Originally posted by Jer76
    i think in those really important situations eg ROM signing of certs u wun have time to switch lens so best to go with a wide angle zoom lens.. during more relax situations eg in park can take time to change zoom lens and can always ask the couple to pose again n again.. during important situations if u missed the shot changing lens there's no way of replaying that particular scene anymore..
    Myth 1: "Those who shoot with primes will miss shots due to changing lens DURING important moments"

Myth 2: "wun have time to switch lens in important events shoot"

I hope those who are experience in event shoots can verify whether what I said make sense.

usually i take 4 lense (2 zoom, 2 prime) in my bag in all occasions. i have only one camera body. i switch lenses frequently during my shooting. i have designed a "standard" procedure for me to do the switching. i dun feel troublesome and i can do it easily and fastly. i use top loading Lowepro S&F Reporter 300. it can eactly hold 3 lenses and camera body with 1 lense on it, which is very convenient. i would roughly describe the the procedure here. heehee...

-before i leave my home, i put 28-70 (which is the most frequently used) on my body. i put the rest three lenses vertically in top-down position (ass up position) and of course, with both front and rear len cap on. same for my camera body with 28-70.

-during the shooting when i need to switch the lense from A to B lets say
    1. left hand hold camera. right hand move camera bag from back to the front of my body.
    2. left hand hold camera, right hand open the top cover of my camera bag
    3. left hand hold camera, right hand rotate and loose up but not remove the rear len cap of the B lense in my bag which i am going to use.
    4. left hand hold camera body, right hand remove the existing A lenses on my camera body and put it into camera bag in top down position.
    5. left hand hold camera body, right hand remove the rear len cap on lense B. put the rear len cap on the back of A, rotate until secure.
    6. left hand hold camera body. right hand take out B and put it on my camera body.
    7. left hand hold camera body. right hand close the cover of camera bag.

during the switch, left hand always hold the camera in rear up position to prevent dust to come in.

i can switch a len in 10 seconds.

ToMyself
    Guests

Originally posted by liuhao
    ..................... i can switch a len in 10 seconds.
    But how many seconds do you take to switch a lens?

Originally posted by liuhao

-during the shooting when i need to switch the lense from A to B lets say
    1. left hand hold camera. right hand move camera bag from back to the front of my body.

7. left hand hold camera body. right hand close the cover of camera bag.

Hey, thanx for the tip. Just 2 qns: do you use the lens hoods? And do you use a camera strap?

Here's my 2 cents worth... sorry ST1100, may not be exactly related to your original post but thot I'd contribute something quite on the topic...

For something as fleeting and where you got to think on your feet, you can't beat a zoom lens.

Of course some photographers will lug around 3 cam bodies and all that but that doesn't mean you should do so. I think experience counts also for you to know what you want to shoot.
    You should not compare a sports photographer who carries heavy 400mm or 600mm lenses, and then think, so for wedding I also must carry at least 2 big lenses (not of the 400m/600mm kind though!) if not more. Got to compare apple with an apple.

The problem is, amateur photographers (like me!) sometimes go overboard and want everything, wide angle shot, close up shot (even macro!!), low light shot, etc. So they even bring their 50 f/1.4 prime in addition to 28-70 f/2.8 giant and another 70-200 mm giant and even maybe throw in a 20-35 f/2.8 or a 24mm prime. Very confusing indeed.

I think in photography, focus (no pun intended) is very important. You really have to decide what kind of shot you really want to include or portray. You can practically use any lens from fisheye to 400mm for a wedding, say. But question is it practical?

I went to a seminar given by a National Geographic photographer once and he commented he was amused at how many lenses amateurs tend to bring for their photo shoots. He said with so many lenses to change and all that, you'll sort of lose concentration and maybe that exact moment. For him, yes, of cos he has more than 1 body and of course, more than 1 lens, but they are mainly f/2.8 zooms. Changing lenses is not quite his cup of tea. But then again, he has the luxury of assistants to help him.

Originally posted by Snowcrash
    Myth 1: "Those who shoot with primes will miss shots due to changing lens DURING important moments"

Aye bro tis not what i meant.. u can use either a single zoom lens or a single wide angle prime.

I've just covered an ROM and a full day & night wedding shoot recently. Being new to this biz, I had 2 lenses (17-40, 28-135) and 1 body (10D). During the both shoots, my main lens was the 17-40. It provided me with lots of coverage and flexibility, especially at the ROM signing, dinner tables and yam-seng sessions where space is very limited.

The only time I switch 28-135 is when there's break time. Only then, this lens makes good head shots, but limited. Unless, you have time to change lens between shots, go for it. If not, go for a wide angle zoom. It'll be your main work "horse" lens.

I'm looking towards a 70-200, but it'll add substantial load. About weight, I got the Optech straps for my camera and bag. This help alot. I carry my bag (Nova 2) with me everywhere I go.

Oh yes, get extra batteries for your flash and an extra flash. It's very essential.

hope this helps...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12