Thread: Sunset @ Nikoi

Default Sunset @ Nikoi

Hi guys,

Took this photo @ Nikoi Island. What I want to convey is sense of tranquillity and calmness the place gives even though the mighty ocean lays ahead

The weather and lighting was good, so managed to take a few good shoots. Will post them in succession. Ií vent done much post production on it, just
    some basic adjustments to enhance the overall feel of the image. I'd like to have your feedback on composition & lighting and anything else you may feel.
    There is some vignetting, but couldnít avoid that with CPL filter I was using on the wide angle lens(noticed it only after I got back).

Default Re: Sunset @ Nikoi

Wow..nice sky.....composition is simple but attractive.

I like waves.
    Maybe you can use a slower shutter speed to capture the moving wave to create a "silky" effect.

Wonder if the photo will be even better if you shift the horizon a little downwards applying rule of third (works well for landscape).

Cheers.
    Yong Sak.
    www.yongsak.com

did you use a filter ? like cpl/gnd ? i see some minor vignette, but i think the sky is nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by liionel View Post
    did you use a filter ? like cpl/gnd ? i see some minor vignette, but i think the sky is nice though.
    Yup, a CPL. I noticed the vignettin only after loading the pics on my laptop

Quote Originally Posted by yongsak View Post
    Wow..nice sky.....composition is simple but attractive.

I like waves.
    Maybe you can use a slower shutter speed to capture the moving wave to create a "silky" effect.

Wonder if the photo will be even better if you shift the horizon a little downwards applying rule of third (works well for landscape).

Cheers.
    I've actually done it a with a slower shutter speed,but its overexposed so i need to fix it in lightroom b4 posting. and there are some shots which almost confirm to the rule of thirds,have to do a bit off PP on those as well
    Last edited by aruns; 4th July 2008 at 04:56 PM.

that sky is marvellous and i would have killed to be there.

composition wise, i am going to say that it is not too bad, but i would have moved more to the right of where you are, to make the angle of the jetty thing more acute. right now it is leading too much to the left, where there is nothing, and out of the picture. a slight change would be alright, because the sky also has a nice diagonal continuing from where the jetty ends.

other than that, i do wish you had given a better exposure, the shadow details are lost on the jetty from my tinkering, and the colors while vivid, are too murky in the foreground for the picture to be saved.

i am also not sure if you want to use CPL here, because increasing contrast between the blue parts of the sky and the clouds do not seem to add any benefit here.

i would also have stopped down to extend the exposure for something in between "frozen" and "movement" waves. right now is more of frozen, which is rarely aesthetically pleasing.

Have u tried it in B/W?

Echo-ing wat Espion had said on moving more to the right, i would like to include go lower. The jetty would lead more to the bueatiful sky.
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

Hmm..thanks for the comments..I'vent tried in B/W yet. I'll post some more over the weeks

Here's my 2 cents.

1- I know, the feeling of overwhelming upon looking at such cloud formation, by the beach with an open horizon; that you dont even know where to start; so one might have this chain reaction; mouth open big big, then adjust camera settings, aim and shoot; then mouth open big big again. A few other possibilities, instead of taking it standing, which I assume here; is

a- to be seated at the beginning or the end or any part of the jetty itself; looking towards the beach or out to the sea. Since the sunset is on the right of the jetty, using wide angle might still capture the clouds. Yes you might not include the jetty in the frame, but knowing the shadow cast on the jetty; I would rather not include at all.
    b- take a shot from below the jetty, use the jetty supports as your frame for the shot. Gotto get very very low down; but heck, it may worth the sight.

2- I am such a colour maniac; sunsets are about colours, and there's no way I would do it in mono.

3- Having said that, the one you have here, the colours are quite mild for my taste.

4- I wonder if you had stayed long enough on the beach to continue snapping away as the sun sets beyond the horizon. The colours would be awesome too.
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

beautiful sky, pity the composition lacks focus, the jetty leading the eye out of the frame. maybe can try to play around with shadow/highlights to bring out some details on the jetty. nonetheless a good attempt

Really nice perspective, but the exposure is such that some details have become murky. I would think you can still afford about a 2/3-stop more of exposure that will still retain your colours.

Personally, I'd include less of the beach. Just a little less.

Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    hmm can i ask roughly how much is the accomodation in nikoi? is there much interest there?

1 hour to bintan then 1 more hour to nikoi right? looked at some photos of nikoi , so heavenly
    This isn't a travel forum; this is the critique corner.

Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    hmm can i ask roughly how much is the accomodation in nikoi? is there much interest there?

1 hour to bintan then 1 more hour to nikoi right? looked at some photos of nikoi , so heavenly
    Please respect the Critique Corner guidelines and refrain from such OT remarks.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

wow..was surprised to see sudden activity in the thread.

cheguthamrin - as you said,i was kinda confused as to what to capture.lots of possible angles and very less time.didn't stay much long after the shot
    andrewtansj - thanks..have a lot to improve on my framing
    calebk - i tried controlling the exposure timings..but didnt give the effect i needed..

anyways,will be posting 2-3 shots from Nikoi for critique soon