Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light Tripod likes Gitzo Tripod GT1550T

Default Re: Light Tripod likes Gitzo Tripod GT1550T

For GT1541T, I would suggest Markins Q3TR ball head. Not that Gitzo ball head is not good, but for the price/performance, I believe Markins is better... Markins' Q3TR is specially designed for Traveler series type of tripods as the legs are folded back, the size of the ball head and the positioning of the knobs are important.

I have the Gitzo GT1541T paired with a RRS BH-25 ballhead.

It's compact, light and strong. With the twist locks, setting up and tearing down is a breeze.

According to Manfrotto's website.

Your tripod setup weight is only 2.26kg, not 2.6kg?

Quote Originally Posted by Snel lenS View Post
    Hi all,

I am thinking to changing my current tripod to lighter one. I wish to carry tripod for every tour but sometime extra weight can become an issue. I am not familiar with the tripod price and quality. Can help me recomment few light tripod?

My current tripod is Manfrotto 190XProb + 486RC which is 2.6kg in total but really serve me well. May need something 1kg +-.

You can try the benro CF tripod C069-M8 which weight about 0.8kg plus the KS1 head will cost you about $288.

However, at a weight of 800g, can the tripod be sturdy even though it is a carbon fibre? Any bro using this tripod can advise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgconnection View Post
    You can try the benro CF tripod C069-M8 which weight about 0.8kg plus the KS1 head will cost you about $288.

However, at a weight of 800g, can the tripod be sturdy even though it is a carbon fibre? Any bro using this tripod can advise.

Thanks
    nobody using this tripod? sorry the cost is $380..

Thanks
    thats the different between sturdy and study enough. how heavy is ur setup and also wat condition are you shooting at? typical SG summer weather? windy? thunderstorm?

personally i use alu slik that weight about 1.1kg without the head, and its working fine with me even with a 80-200 f2.8 and flash on. best of all, it cost about 1/3 of $380 only.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    thats the different between sturdy and study enough. how heavy is ur setup and also wat condition are you shooting at? typical SG summer weather? windy? thunderstorm?

personally i use alu slik that weight about 1.1kg without the head, and its working fine with me even with a 80-200 f2.8 and flash on. best of all, it cost about 1/3 of $380 only.
    Bro, what model are you using now? I wanted to get a tripod and a head with panning capability.

i wanted to use this for travelling as well as use in locally.. so cannot be those heavy duty type.. so wondering if too light, the tripod will not be sturdy and for such a high price it might not be worth to buy.

I am thinking of getting the 190Xprob but it weight about 1.8kg and with the head, it will be more than 2kg..

Bro, what model are you using now? I wanted to get a tripod and a head with panning capability.

i wanted to use this for travelling as well as use in locally.. so cannot be those heavy duty type.. so wondering if too light, the tripod will not be sturdy and for such a high price it might not be worth to buy.

I am thinking of getting the 190Xprob but it weight about 1.8kg and with the head, it will be more than 2kg..
    the price you paid goes to the build and of cos material (CF being lighter yet stronger). like i said, sturdy depends on the situation you are in...

Hi all,

I'm looking for a travel tripod as well, and have come across the few that have been mentioned here, namely Gitzo 0541, 1540 and 1541. My question is why is a 8kg max load needed when traveling, considering the body+lens combo will be significantly lighter. Even with pro body + 70-200 f/2.8L will be under 5kg. Is the extra 3kg max load necessary, even if you use a ballhead with a lighter max load?

I notice not much comment about the 0541 (max load 5kg, or 4kg when paired with a 1178M ball head), as compared to the 1541, any reason for this? Any comments or comparison on a 0541 vs a 1541 using the same ballhead? Just wondering because 0541 is USD$100 cheaper and 170g lighter.

I think people normally will over spec their equipment so if the actual weight is 5Kg, they will go for some buffer and shoot for a 8kg tripod.

I agree that if this is a travel tripod, the key criteria is the weight. And if a lesser tripod is enough to support the equipment, there is no reason why they should go for 1 series up.
    Last edited by CS TAN; 4th September 2008 at 10:41 PM.

Just wondering then, in this case will be 8kg max. listed load of the 1540 or 1541 be able to support a pro body+70-200 f/2.8 maximum combo load? (Assuming an appropriate ballhead with max load >10kg is used). In theory it is possible, but how about in reality? Anyone with experience can comment?

Reason I am asking this is because one ballhead (not tripod, so he is not trying to make me spend more) representative told me that the 1541 will not be a bit "weak" for this combo, and recommended the Gitzo 2541 insted.

Guys,

when you're travelling, what's the chance of you lugging a full fledged super tele lens with you and using it with your 'travel tripod'?

If you're carrying such heavy gear, what's the point of pinching and bringing a tiny and light travel tripod ? Horses for courses, when you need heavy gear, bring a heavy duty tripod then ?

When you want to travel light, you just bring the minimal equipment that will serve the purpose. The heaviest 'logical' travel combo would possibly be the Nikon D3 with a 14-24 UWA lens. That's like ~2kg ? A light tripod that can sturdily support about 2-3kg with a weigh down hook would be suffice for such an application wouldn't it ? And normally, you don't really need a very tall tripod on your travels. As long as it can reach chest level for the viewfinder, it will work fine for most applications. (especially landscapes and self portraits).

If you need a specific application, in this case weight, go for the lightest tripod that can do the task. If you wan a 'do everything' tripod that can double up for your regular usages, then you have give in somewhat on the weight requirements. There really isn't two ways around it.

Well said bro. Absolutely agree. Fit for purpose. Hence I have one for travel (Gitzo 1540T) and one for heavier load (Monfratto 190XPROB). Can't have it all ya know.
    Nikon D300,Sigma 10-20mm,18-200mm OS, Nikkor 105mm Micro VR, Nikkor 50mm f1.8

I have the GT1541T and Markins Q3T combo for local, travelling and w intent for trekking in Nepal next year. It hold my D300 and 18-200VR real well. Not sure with the 70-200 though. Compact enough to fit fully in my usual backpack when folded. The leg and head shd be about 1.4kg, but sturdy for 15 second shoot w light wind. One of my buddy got the GT2541 & M10, it obvious his combo is real rock but quite unlikely he will bring for travelling. If your objective is for travelling, go for light weight, even with 1.4kg plus the D300 w 18-200, you can really feel the weight after a while. Gitzo will hurt your pocket but when you use it and see your shoot, it worth every cent. I have some long exp shoot in my flickr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/freelah4me
    Last edited by freelah4me; 24th January 2009 at 11:33 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12