Thread: how about sigma 50-500mm

Default how about sigma 50-500mm

hi guys, in addition to my nikkor 17-35mm f2.8 and nikkor 80-200mm f2.8 set up, i like to reach further

can anyone say something about this sigma 50-500mm f4-6.3 ex dg hsm, is it worth buying?

i am very new to photography, i will be using this lens on my d80 or d300 not now though but in the future.

your honest suggestions/recommendations are most welcome

Default Re: how about sigma 50-500mm

I have used this lens before but its the canon version. Well at 500mm, it definitely cannot match telephoto primes. For general use, no problem. But note its heavy.

its a 2kg lens. nicknamed Bigma. lol. i don't own it but have rented it twice. i would say not everyone will love this lens but the quality is not bad.
    you might want to rent it and give it a try. not very possible to handhold. usually i shoot with it on my tripod which acts like a monopod.

Last edited by dingzyangz; 2nd July 2008 at 05:27 PM.

For someone new to photography, I have to say u have powerful arsenal at your disposal IMHO, i think u should try taking more photos with your current lens, until u know what kind of photography u are into. That aside, the reviews of sigma 50-500mm seems pretty good thou.

thank guys to your reply, just so happened that my singapore company outstation me to somewhere that i can slowly, slowly acquire these lenses

how about in sing, any body renting out these lens? can bring to malaca, or bintan? how much per day?

You can take a look at these threads, they might have what you need.