Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [News] SAF A strong and silent keeper of the peace

Default Re: [News] SAF A strong and silent keeper of the peace

Huh? SAF day?

Dang! The only news I've been reading was Canon was trounced all over the net by Nikon's latest announcement... This, then, is the Real news.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    There'll always be the keyboard warriors.

This is for all of us who have served and suffered in the SAF and understand that we cannot take security for granted.
    I don't see you volunteering to hunt down MKS.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    Huh? SAF day?

Dang! The only news I've been reading was Canon was trounced all over the net by Nikon's latest announcement... This, then, is the Real news.
    the nikon announcement was real news, coz it made alot of canon users **** their pants!
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    There'll always be the keyboard warriors.

This is for all of us who have served and suffered in the SAF and understand that we cannot take security for granted.
    well i have served before in 1 of the elite units but i have no sense of pride for the country.
    sorry for being a downer here cause i dont understand whats the point of training so much in the end for nothing...even if is to prepare for major conflict in the possible future, thats something maybe i wont even be involve in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by diCam View Post
    xtemujin, you posted a serious topic in a wrong forum la. You wouldn't get a healthy discussion here, especially some with warped mind.
    maybe i can say i'm one of those with the warped mind...i will answer the call if the country needs me not because for the sake of the country but to prove a point to myself that i still have what it takes to be in my unit.
    i have more pride for the unit than the country.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 2nd July 2008 at 11:33 AM.

Two quotes on why we have to have a credible military.

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

Doesn't matter that you'll never ever go for a real fight, the fact that you are ready for one is good enough.

To those who say that it is pointless to train for nothing, to train when we won't have a war.

Well let me share with you a saying from Sun Tzu's art of war. "train a solider for 100 days and use him for only 1 day"

Also what makes one so sure that one won't be involved in a conflict in one's lifetime?

Let me tell you a fictional story...

There are border disputes between 2 nations.... finally one day the generals of Nation A guarding the border decides enough is enough... and launches a massive invasion across the border. Nation B being defenseless as it's citizens doesn't believe in war and it loses ground rapidly. Citizens that try to defend themselves with make shift clubs and spears are captured and summarily executed as "spies".

The government of Nation A frantically tries to reach its renegade generals to order them to cease their operation but the orders are ignored. As the days go by and Nation B falls rapidly... there is a growing voice in the government of Nation A that since the act has been done... might as well go on with it..... The moderates are silenced and the hardliners throw their full support behind the Generals and more troops are committed to the campaign.

So finally Nation B falls and Nation A's army stays on as "liberators".

The United Nations hold meetings and make noise and nations threatens embargo on Nation A and talk of a military force to eject Nation A is mooted.... finally after weeks then months.... everyone decides... actually Nation A ruling over Nation B is not such a bad idea.... besides Nation A has promised lucrative deals for Nations willing to support it's "liberation".... so end of the day..... Nation B becomes part of Nation A....

Far Fetched? Impossible, Fantasy? Well not impossible..... Look at Iraq, Afghanistan, East Timor in 1975 just to name a few examples.

I would say depend not on others to defend us but to defend ourselves. Our SAF has it's purpose and let's not belittle that purpose. After all it has allowed you can to enjoy the peace, your wives and girlfriends are not in the danger of being raped by a marauding army, your brother is not shot for being an suspected insurgent and to allow you to be here talking behind a computer and saying how it is a waste of time to have an Army....
    Last edited by aeskywan; 2nd July 2008 at 12:00 PM.

Defense is important, irreguardless of how we view the SAF. It doesnt matter how wealthly we are, the wealth is not ours unless we can defend it, its the reality of the world we live. This is true also for the individual, family.

Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    To those who say that it is pointless to train for nothing, to train when we won't have a war.

Well let me share with you a saying from Sun Tzu's art of war. "train a solider for 100 days and use him for only 1 day"

Also what makes one so sure that one won't be involved in a conflict in one's lifetime?

Let me tell you a fictional story...

There are border disputes between 2 nations.... finally one day the generals of Nation A guarding the border decides enough is enough... and launches a massive invasion across the border. Nation B being defenseless as it's citizens doesn't believe in war and it loses ground rapidly. Citizens that try to defend themselves with make shift clubs and spears are captured and summarily executed as "spies".

The government of Nation A frantically tries to reach its renegade generals to order them to cease their operation but the orders are ignored. As the days go by and Nation B falls rapidly... there is a growing voice in the government of Nation A that since the act has been done... might as well go on with it..... The moderates are silenced and the hardliners throw their full support behind the Generals and more troops are committed to the campaign.

So finally Nation B falls and Nation A's army stays on as "liberators".

The United Nations hold meetings and make noise and nations threatens embargo on Nation A and talk of a military force to eject Nation A is mooted.... finally after weeks then months.... everyone decides... actually Nation A ruling over Nation B is not such a bad idea.... besides Nation A has promised lucrative deals for Nations willing to support it's "liberation".... so end of the day..... Nation B becomes part of Nation A....

Far Fetched? Impossible, Fantasy? Well not impossible..... Look at Iraq, Afghanistan, East Timor in 1975 just to name a few examples.

I would say depend not on others to defend us but to defend ourselves. Our SAF has it's purpose and let's not belittle that purpose. After all it has allowed you can to enjoy the peace, your wives and girlfriends are not in the danger of being raped by a marauding army, your brother is not shot for being an suspected insurgent and to allow you to be here talking behind a computer and saying how it is a waste of time to have an Army....
    if you dig deep enough on the net, you will realize that the the US war in Iraq and Afghan is built very much on oil. Whatever that is being reported in the media is very much how US wants to hide the real reason for war in Iraq and Afghan.

back to topic.

Within the region, I dare say Singapore has the best hardware. But that cannot be said for the soldiers using those hardware. Have we ever shoot a person before?

I would say psychologically we are not as prepared as our neighbours who has to deal with internal fightings with terrorist cell.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    the nikon announcement was real news, coz it made alot of canon users **** their pants!
    Woah! War started already?

Without bullets but with keywords.

Where are the Canon fighters?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Woah! War started already?

Without bullets but with keywords.

Where are the Canon fighters?
    Apparently, this is a real example of "no need for defense as there were no threat"... now look what happened.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

The point is.

Damn.... i might be mob again in AUG

be noted that military and defense information are highly sensitive, should not be written in public forum, do not get yourself in hot soup.. write more about hobbies is better.

Blog Entries

i am sure that you people are mature enough to stop and think about what you have just typed b4 you press the button

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    Apparently, this is a real example of "no need for defense as there were no threat"... now look what happened.
    i am sure that there are more secret weapons waiting, maybe at photokina from all manufacturers

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i am sure that there are more secret weapons waiting, maybe at photokina from all manufacturers
    Secret weapon like this one?

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    We know about the new Nikon:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Secret weapon like this one?

that's outdated already

this one

All i know is that if there's a war, long term wise we may not win totally, but the agressor does not simply walk away, it will badly handicapped or worse.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12