Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: beer and pool

Debra
    Guests

Love the shot and the subject...also one my favorite pasttimes!

My half cents' worth...

1) I feel that the bokeh is overdone but since you're shooting at f/1.8, you might have tried stepping the the aperature from f/1.8, f/2.8 and F/4 to see the results of the bokeh (assuming you're shooting with a D-SLR).

2) Since you went there with an idea of the kind of shot you're taking, you might want to invest in a reflector of sorts. Although the bottle is sharp and in focus, the multicolored reflections off the bottle is very distracting. If your idea is to talk about booze and pool, the overly colourful reflections off the bottle and lack of focus & colour behind it kinda makes it(the bottle) feel a little cluttered.

3) Beer and pool was your subject, therefore both the beer bottle and cue should be in focus. Otherwise, the beer overtakes as the main focus of your shot.

These are just my opinions. Overall, it's still a pretty good shot.
    Wissen Sie, wer ich bin?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/yp-wang/

Originally posted by vince
    2) Since you went there with an idea of the kind of shot you're taking, you might want to invest in a reflector of sorts.
    He went there to play pool, and he won the 2nd price.

Thanks again guys!

Vince,

I appreciate your detailed critique, actually, Sgt. Pepper is correct, I went there for the 9-ball tournament and I was contemplating before that time whether to bring my pool cue or my camera in there. And as you can guess, I brought my cam, this shot had just came out from my imagination, got one Stella, pool cue and waited for a player to be my background.

Your right about getting another f/stops or two (f/2.8, f/4), but this shot is already at 1/90s, or at the expense of another ISO stop, maybe 800 or 1250 (thus noise), and shutter speed of say, 1/30s, I think the player will become more blurred. I just took two shots of this scene and this is the one I preferred.

Beer and pool is my subject and I thought concentrating on the booze is more interesting than everything is in focus.

About my original question that no one seems to bother answering.. yeah, guys, it works for me...

beer and pool, and stay competitive!

YMMV.

Cheers.

Oops...an FYI, I think they can be mixed together but will have to go easy on the beer...otherwise, you'd be seeing 2 or more cue balls!
    Wissen Sie, wer ich bin?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/yp-wang/

Default nice shot!

nice shot! like the blur background n composition!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12