Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 118

Thread: BayBeats Photographer

  1. #21

    Default Re: BayBeats Photographer

    Quote Originally Posted by relinquishingjunk View Post
    To some of us who are into gig photography, we don't care whether it's free labour or what. It's about your passion for photography. It's not about the money, not being paid and all. Well, it's all up to the individual itself, though.
    That's incredibly selfish. Free photography is going to have serious repercussions on the photography industry in the long run. Being paid for your work, even a small fee doesn't mean that your passion is compromised.

  2. #22

    Default Re: BayBeats Photographer

    Quote Originally Posted by relinquishingjunk View Post
    To some of us who are into gig photography, we don't care whether it's free labour or what. It's about your passion for photography. It's not about the money, not being paid and all. Well, it's all up to the individual itself, though.
    I salute your passion for photography. Keep up the great spirit.
    BTW I've several events over the next few weekends would you like to help me for free.

    At least I have given you a great opportunity to show your passion, of which you should be thankful.

  3. #23

    Default Re: BayBeats Photographer

    Well, why thank you alot Jopel.


    Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    I salute your passion for photography. Keep up the great spirit.
    BTW I've several events over the next few weekends would you like to help me for free.

    At least I have given you a great opportunity to show your passion, of which you should be thankful.
    Last edited by relinquishingjunk; 30th June 2008 at 10:37 PM.

  4. #24

    Default Re: BayBeats Photographer

    Quote Originally Posted by relinquishingjunk View Post
    To some of us who are into gig photography, we don't care whether it's free labour or what. It's about your passion for photography. It's not about the money, not being paid and all. Well, it's all up to the individual itself, though.
    To me, it's not just about free labour. It's a matter of being "commissioned" to take photos without compensation. The moment you press the shutter, the image does not belong to you anymore. That sort of dampens my passion.

  5. #25

    Default Re: BayBeats Photographer

    Quote Originally Posted by relinquishingjunk View Post
    Good! Anyway, good luck to you! All the best!
    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Zohan View Post
    That's incredibly selfish. Free photography is going to have serious repercussions on the photography industry in the long run. Being paid for your work, even a small fee doesn't mean that your passion is compromised.
    **** happens, roll with it. Digital cameras have made photography much more accessible, and the industry has to adept. It's nothing new. Television was supposed to kill print media, P2P was supposed to kill music (hint: it hasn't done so, in fact record sales figures are still being reached), the Internet was supposed to kill both print and television media.. If a working pro can't compete with the material that amateurs like myself generate shooting once in a blue moon, then too bad for them. The industry, particularly wedding photographers, seems to be saturated with largely talentless and/or unmotivated characters (either on it's own should be enough to produce at least above snapshot-quality work), I wouldn't miss them.

  6. #26

    Default Re: BayBeats Photographer

    Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    I salute your passion for photography. Keep up the great spirit.
    BTW I've several events over the next few weekends would you like to help me for free.

    At least I have given you a great opportunity to show your passion, of which you should be thankful.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

  7. #27

    Default Re: BayBeats Photographer

    Quote Originally Posted by relinquishingjunk View Post
    To some of us who are into gig photography, we don't care whether it's free labour or what. It's about your passion for photography. It's not about the money, not being paid and all. Well, it's all up to the individual itself, though.
    Ya, i do agree with you as it about passion (for me, at least) and i do shoot for free but i dont shoot for free blindly

    Most important it is for a good cause. But not for exploitation.

    I would prefer to enjoy at the Baybeats with my friends from other countries and just snap what i want without obligations. And Esplande is not run by "GOV", it's private organization if i am not wrong and Baybeats are organize by an event company call Awakening Production.

    As for this, those would love to have more access like, going to the back stage or closer to the Bands and stars or better view and freedom at the front stage. THis will be a good chance for you if u dun mind shooting for them for you passion. But pls do check what their expectations.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

  8. #28
    Member OldFlower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    392

    Default Re: BayBeats Photographer

    Hmm.. sure is an effective way to get free images from countless hopefuls out there...

  9. #29

    Default Re: BayBeats Photographer

    Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    **** happens, roll with it. Digital cameras have made photography much more accessible, and the industry has to adept. It's nothing new. Television was supposed to kill print media, P2P was supposed to kill music (hint: it hasn't done so, in fact record sales figures are still being reached), the Internet was supposed to kill both print and television media.. If a working pro can't compete with the material that amateurs like myself generate shooting once in a blue moon, then too bad for them. The industry, particularly wedding photographers, seems to be saturated with largely talentless and/or unmotivated characters (either on it's own should be enough to produce at least above snapshot-quality work), I wouldn't miss them.
    You are right of course (esp about the wedding industry) but I am with Tupi guy about the knowing when to shoot 'for free'.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: BayBeats Photographer

    Offering free services and respecting your own work are very different. Don't mix them up.

  11. #31

    Default Re: BayBeats Photographer

    Quote Originally Posted by OldFlower View Post
    Hmm.. sure is an effective way to get free images from countless hopefuls out there...
    Baybeats reserves the rights to the images taken at Baybeats, so it won't be the hopefuls that they will be getting free images out off, but those that evidently are good enough to get the nice comfy spot between the crowd and artists. I'd consider that payment enough, and besides, Baybeats is a free event after all, so it's not like the photographers would be turning the gears of a for-profit event.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zohan View Post
    You are right of course (esp about the wedding industry) but I am with Tupi guy about the knowing when to shoot 'for free'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Offering free services and respecting your own work are very different. Don't mix them up.
    I am against people making use of amateurs by offering them paid gigs at outrageous rates (100 bucks for a wedding for example) while giving them the idea that they're receiving anywhere close to the amount of a career photographer. That's outright exploitation. However if an amateur knows the prevailing rates and the person looking to hire knows the potential quality difference between career and amateur work, and still does it, then it's market force and the industry has to adapt to that.

  12. #32

    Default Re: BayBeats Photographer

    Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    Baybeats reserves the rights to the images taken at Baybeats, so it won't be the hopefuls that they will be getting free images out off, but those that evidently are good enough to get the nice comfy spot between the crowd and artists. I'd consider that payment enough, and besides, Baybeats is a free event after all, so it's not like the photographers would be turning the gears of a for-profit event.
    But Esplanade will have the exclusive rights to use those images in their promotional material in the future. All this without extra payment to the photographer. What happens if the image is so good that it's used as the key image in the next Baybeats reproduced in brochures, posters, newspapers? All this with just a credit. Doesn't that make it exploitation? This actually happened to to friend who shot in Esplanade for an event and had his images used for major promotional pushes for 2 or 3 years at least.

    On a side note: how much work have photographers have gotten work from a credit in 6pt font by the side of the image? Seriously.
    Last edited by Zohan; 30th June 2008 at 07:20 PM.

  13. #33

    Default Re: BayBeats Photographer

    Baybeats is singapore bands?? any from other country?? i dont mean malaysia, as in further

  14. #34

    Default Re: BayBeats Photographer

    Wah seh! I think this thread is becoming more of like a debate already liao. But nevertheless, opinions are welcomed though. Well, everyone has their own views on things, don't we? Some might see it in a positive way and some might see it in a negative way. Hence, nobody forces anybody to do this.

    If you think you're up for it, then just go. And good luck!

    And as for those who don't, it's ok. No worries.

  15. #35

    Default Re: BayBeats Photographer

    You can go to this website: http://www.baybeats.com.sg/ to check it out.


    Quote Originally Posted by kebeye View Post
    Baybeats is singapore bands?? any from other country?? i dont mean malaysia, as in further

  16. #36

    Default Re: BayBeats Photographer

    U like it u do it. U dont like it u dont stop people from doing it.

    IF someone offer you to have a go at vogue editorial and provide the equipments and and and.. free flight and accomodation! But pictures rights are to them and its free labour. would u miss the opportunity becasue you are not paid for the shot. would u miss the opportunity because you cant have the copyright of the pictures you shot? Would you miss the opportunity beacuse fashion isnt your thing.

    im with u, relinquishingjunk.

    Sorry to say but why always look at the money involved. I know its important, money is not everything but most things. Are you not happy when you peek into the small lil 2-3" screen behind your dslr and smile at what you just took. That moment is priceless to me. Maybe you can say yeah, priceless to me cause out of 100000 pictures, only 1 made me smile. I would say, so what, at least i have 1 photo which you dont because you think damn right that your photographs deserve to be paid but sadly, i dont think so.............

    if u take something, return something. simple right. If you like gigs, shoot it. paid or not. And return your wonderful work to the people who appreciate gigs.
    If you happen to shoot at some marathon, paid or not. Wouldnt it be very nice to let whoever have their photos? Dont have to be money and rights always. Dont you feel happy when another person who receive the photo you took and says thank you?

    okie thats what i feel. sorry for the lengthy post.

  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lomohome
    Posts
    269

    Default Re: BayBeats Photographer

    i'm with k3nshinx and relinquishing junk. if you guys don't wanna join. Don't comment. This is an exhibition and contest page. this is not a kopitiam or critique page. Get the drift guys.

  18. #38

    Default Re: BayBeats Photographer

    There's a difference between giving them a copy, and giving up all your rights to the photo. You do know that you won't even be able to put them on a website / flicker / blog etc to share with your friends even, if they don't give permission right? If they want to use the photo but don't want to credit you, it's also their right.

  19. #39

    Default Re: BayBeats Photographer

    Quote Originally Posted by AlteredVision View Post
    There's a difference between giving them a copy, and giving up all your rights to the photo. You do know that you won't even be able to put them on a website / flicker / blog etc to share with your friends even, if they don't give permission right? If they want to use the photo but don't want to credit you, it's also their right.


    well i dun mind that they dun credit me as i want get expose as many events as possibe so in the future that i have the experience to shoot in the type of event.......

  20. #40
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: BayBeats Photographer

    Quote Originally Posted by k3nshinx View Post
    U like it u do it. U dont like it u dont stop people from doing it.

    IF someone offer you to have a go at vogue editorial and provide the equipments and and and.. free flight and accomodation! But pictures rights are to them and its free labour. would u miss the opportunity becasue you are not paid for the shot. would u miss the opportunity because you cant have the copyright of the pictures you shot? Would you miss the opportunity beacuse fashion isnt your thing.

    im with u, relinquishingjunk.

    Sorry to say but why always look at the money involved. I know its important, money is not everything but most things. Are you not happy when you peek into the small lil 2-3" screen behind your dslr and smile at what you just took. That moment is priceless to me. Maybe you can say yeah, priceless to me cause out of 100000 pictures, only 1 made me smile. I would say, so what, at least i have 1 photo which you dont because you think damn right that your photographs deserve to be paid but sadly, i dont think so.............

    if u take something, return something. simple right. If you like gigs, shoot it. paid or not. And return your wonderful work to the people who appreciate gigs.
    If you happen to shoot at some marathon, paid or not. Wouldnt it be very nice to let whoever have their photos? Dont have to be money and rights always. Dont you feel happy when another person who receive the photo you took and says thank you?

    okie thats what i feel. sorry for the lengthy post.
    You still don't get it do you? Submit all your photos for all I care. Then be told that you are not allowed to show your photos to anyone ever again. I'll see your smiling face then.

    And if you think any chance to click akins to improving your craft, think harder. You are not even learning.
    Last edited by Kit; 1st July 2008 at 07:26 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •