Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: setting up website help needed

  1. #1

    Default setting up website help needed

    finally decide to do my own webby

    dun need something professional, just a page that is nice and simple ( those flash effects are nice, i rather like those from www.objectifs.com.sg) and can link to an image viewer to show off my images

    1. do u guys hire someone to do it? How much does it cost? I'm not IT smart, but think i can pick up on how to maintain it afterworks.
    2. Or are there some templates that i can buy online?
    3. On a tight budget here...200-300 that kind

    any advise?

  2. #2

    Default Re: setting up website help needed

    Templates cost about USD50. There are plenty to choose from, go to templatemonster.com or other template websites.

    To host the site it is about SGD$120- $150 per year depending on how much space u want.

    If you want a student web designer to help you customise a template I suggest allocating another $300-$500 to your budget. So all in you need to set aside about SGD$600 including a years hosting.

  3. #3

    Default Re: setting up website help needed

    how about a blog? It is free and easy to use, plus can integrate your photos in.

    Otherwise there are plenty of picture sites around to publish yr photos, e.g. Flickr
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

  4. #4

    Default Re: setting up website help needed

    well if its a biz u are doing, dont use those free flickr..
    looks damn unprofessional.. even if your photos are good.. people will not be very impressed..

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: setting up website help needed

    Quote Originally Posted by yamcake View Post
    well if its a biz u are doing, dont use those free flickr..
    looks damn unprofessional.. even if your photos are good.. people will not be very impressed..
    Flickr isnt free for a pro account and not everyone can afford their own website, its about the photos not where they are. Any self respecting client or photographer will tell you that. People will be impressed if the photos are good, not if its in some fancy site.

  6. #6

    Default Re: setting up website help needed

    Before I proceed, I would like to state that I'm not advertising for anyone nor do I have any affliations with any companies.

    Recently, I am in the midst of setting up my own photo gallery online and got myself subscribed to www.limebox.com.sg. The thing I like about this company is that they are offering 2gb of webspace for a mere S$5/- , which I believe it's affordable to most of us. And the best part is, their servers are hosted in SG and their response time has been rather fast so far.

  7. #7
    Senior Member velasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PARISris , Singapore
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Re: setting up website help needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Optodexine View Post
    Templates cost about USD50. There are plenty to choose from, go to templatemonster.com or other template websites.

    To host the site it is about SGD$120- $150 per year depending on how much space u want.

    If you want a student web designer to help you customise a template I suggest allocating another $300-$500 to your budget. So all in you need to set aside about SGD$600 including a years hosting.
    there is no need to spend 600 bucks seriously.
    i have many websites and i dont take out a single cent.

    hosting can be requested by many sites that offer hosting if you dont need freedom to advertise or to commercialize. Even so, there are cheap plans by local hosting companies that can be as low as 60 per year, if you dont need overtly large space.

    Since you are new to webdesigning and all, getting intouch and knowing more bout it thru blogmaking or free services such as geocities.com is sufficient as of now. wordpress also gives pro looking templates.

    As far as i know, layouts and designs dont cost that much. theres plenty of webdesigners (mostly overseas) which do layoutsand codings for low cost. Its all a matter of sourcing out ,really

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Serangoon North
    Posts
    2,225

    Default Re: setting up website help needed

    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_puppi View Post
    Before I proceed, I would like to state that I'm not advertising for anyone nor do I have any affliations with any companies.

    Recently, I am in the midst of setting up my own photo gallery online and got myself subscribed to www.limebox.com.sg. The thing I like about this company is that they are offering 2gb of webspace for a mere S$5/- , which I believe it's affordable to most of us. And the best part is, their servers are hosted in SG and their response time has been rather fast so far.
    Wah.. this Limebox.com.sg looks good and cheap.. too bad I need to wait for another 9 mths before I can change my hosting company..

  9. #9

    Default Re: setting up website help needed

    any other palce to get not so expensive but good templates?
    I especially love this http://photoidentities.com/ ( but their prices are a killer)
    imagevue is a good one too..but i'm looking for a more comprenshive site

    to a guy who PM me offering his service: thanks...i like ur examples sites, but i'm looking for something more sophisticated..

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore / Japan / China
    Posts
    1,928

    Default Re: setting up website help needed

    http://www.bludomain.com/

    these people build very nice photo sites

    many photographers use their templates



    Quote Originally Posted by cosycatus View Post
    finally decide to do my own webby

    dun need something professional, just a page that is nice and simple ( those flash effects are nice, i rather like those from www.objectifs.com.sg) and can link to an image viewer to show off my images

    1. do u guys hire someone to do it? How much does it cost? I'm not IT smart, but think i can pick up on how to maintain it afterworks.
    2. Or are there some templates that i can buy online?
    3. On a tight budget here...200-300 that kind

    any advise?
    Last edited by rncw; 1st July 2008 at 09:00 AM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: setting up website help needed

    Quote Originally Posted by rncw View Post
    http://www.bludomain.com/

    these people build very nice photo sites

    many photographers use their templates

    woots, simply love the BLU webbies...haha, even their $100 template looks nice...only stupid thing is you got to pay an additional $100 if u choose not to host with them...duh..
    anyone other similar ones out there?

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: setting up website help needed

    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_puppi View Post
    Before I proceed, I would like to state that I'm not advertising for anyone nor do I have any affliations with any companies.

    Recently, I am in the midst of setting up my own photo gallery online and got myself subscribed to www.limebox.com.sg. The thing I like about this company is that they are offering 1gb of webspace for a mere S$5/- , which I believe it's affordable to most of us. And the best part is, their servers are hosted in SG and their response time has been rather fast so far.
    I think Limebox has a promotion at the moment, If you sign up for 12 months on any hosting plan you can get a .com .net .org domain name for $5.00 SG per year. If you already have one they will transfer and add an extra year credit onto your domain name.

    Promotion code is : cheapdomain

    I'll search for other Singapore host Promotion codes

  13. #13

    Default Re: setting up website help needed

    Quote Originally Posted by glumpy View Post
    I think Limebox has a promotion at the moment, If you sign up for 12 months on any hosting plan you can get a .com .net .org domain name for $5.00 SG per year. If you already have one they will transfer and add an extra year credit onto your domain name.

    Promotion code is : cheapdomain

    I'll search for other Singapore host Promotion codes
    I don't know about limebox, but I have heard of some companies who deliberately "lock" your domain names with them after your subscriptions, meaning they will have full ownership of your domain name, if you host it with them.

    That's the reason why I prefer my domain name hosting company and web hosting company to be different. For my domain name, I chose namecheap.com, there's another which is godaddy with is not too bad also.

  14. #14

    Default Re: setting up website help needed

    ya.. i also separate my domain name company and web hosting company... using namecheap.com too...

    nv hear of limebox.. is it a new company? i look through their plans.. look good... got any 'hidden' charge? how their service?
    themerchantspace.com

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: setting up website help needed

    Quote Originally Posted by goyyy View Post
    ya.. i also separate my domain name company and web hosting company... using namecheap.com too...

    nv hear of limebox.. is it a new company? i look through their plans.. look good... got any 'hidden' charge? how their service?
    I checked them out on google, they had a few good reviews

    here is one http://josephang.com/blog/2008/05/31...ing-solutions/

    Do not know how long they have been hosting, as for domains ... Singapore webhosting business's have rules and regulations about locking domains, I am sure if you have any worries talk to them directly.

    I have just signed up, good so far ... see how it goes

  16. #16

    Default Re: setting up website help needed

    Got this hosting company from another forum, so just gave it a try, been good to me so far

  17. #17

    Default Re: setting up website help needed

    i think i will put limebox under 1 of my shortlists... my current web hosting contract expiring only in dec...

    nuclear_puppi: so far got any downtime for your site?
    themerchantspace.com

  18. #18

    Default Re: setting up website help needed

    Quote Originally Posted by goyyy View Post
    i think i will put limebox under 1 of my shortlists... my current web hosting contract expiring only in dec...

    nuclear_puppi: so far got any downtime for your site?
    So far from what I know , there was a downtime late last month due to a bug in their cpanel update, but they sent me an email with a detail report of the outage straight after their system was up and running.

    If it might interest you, this is the report that they sent me about 15 minutes after their system was up and running.

    We have had multiple server outages today caused by a bug in one of the CPanel 11 updates, Each server received the update at manual intervals but caused serious downtime on our servers today.

    All servers have been restored to normal now.

    ISSUE : WHM and cpanel 11 update causing HTTP apache issues and mail downloading issues.
    No mail was lost due to the downtime. It was caught on our mail servers.

    Resolution : Rolling back cpanel 11 update back to previous state.

    Downtime : Between 12:00pm SGT till 5:20pm random outage times.

    We apologise for the inconvenience this has caused, please let us know if we can assist further.
    Last edited by nuclear_puppi; 4th July 2008 at 12:59 PM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: setting up website help needed

    is u discover the downtime or they auto tell u got downtime? at least got report...

    my current web hosting company dont even send me a report when my website was down last time.. the worst thing is that their website was also down! end up i contact them through the web hosting forum... quite disappointed even though their service was gd... now i just want to find 1 which can be contactable easily...
    themerchantspace.com

  20. #20

    Default Re: setting up website help needed

    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    Flickr isnt free for a pro account and not everyone can afford their own website, its about the photos not where they are. Any self respecting client or photographer will tell you that. People will be impressed if the photos are good, not if its in some fancy site.
    i agree ... like photoshelter to promote itself it hired a pro photog to use their gallery.. and flickr is actually a good place to be recognised in anycase u can host ur pics on flickr but ur website serves the html from ur webhost so its ok!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •