Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Calibration of light meters

  1. #1
    Member sprewell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Serangoon Central
    Posts
    1,723

    Default Calibration of light meters

    Hello everyone,

    I am relatively new to light meters but recently i acquired a Sekonic L-308.

    I did some search on the web and read many articles about calibrating their light meters. However, none of them managed to elaborate further on exactly how do they calibrate their devices.

    Anyone here kind enough to explain how to calibrate the light meter?
    Hasselblad 503CW | 100mm f/3.5 CF | Contax 645 | Zeiss 80mm f/2 | Website

  2. #2

    Default Re: Calibration of light meters

    You shoot at the settings recommended by the meter. You look at the pix from your camera. If you are doing incident metering and the highlights are blown, you will need to adjust it. Ditto, if you are doing reflected metering and you find your shadow detail is gone, you will need to adjust it.

    In other words, it's to adjust your meter to fit with your camera's sensor.

  3. #3

    Smile Re: Calibration of light meters

    L308 is a handheld meter, if i am not wrong. most of such meters are incident meter unless optional accessories are used to read reflected light. wheras camera's sensors are designed for reflected readings.

    your statement is misleading, without further explanation.

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post

    In other words, it's to adjust your meter to fit with your camera's sensor.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Calibration of light meters

    I suggest you read the specs of the meter. And understand how to meter.

    Most importantly, it's to understand what to do when you have the reading and compare with your pix.

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    L308 is a handheld. meter, if i am not wrong. most of such meters are incident meter unless optional accessories are used to read reflected light. wheras camera's sensors are designed for reflected readings.

    your statement is misleading, without further explanation.
    Last edited by waileong; 29th June 2008 at 08:54 PM.

  5. #5

    Smile Re: Calibration of light meters

    i do not own a L308. care to elaborate pls.

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    I suggest you read the specs of the meter. And understand how to meter.

    Most importantly, it's to understand what to do when you have the reading and compare with your pix.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Calibration of light meters

    You shoot at the settings recommended by the meter. You look at the pix from your camera. If you are doing incident metering and the highlights are blown, you will need to adjust it. Ditto, if you are doing reflected metering and you find your shadow detail is gone, you will need to adjust it.
    This is what I do with my Minolta IV F, when it reads it actually give two stop higher. So now I just reduced two stop lower from the meter and the exposure turn out fine

  7. #7

    Default Re: Calibration of light meters

    Quote Originally Posted by sprewell View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I am relatively new to light meters but recently i acquired a Sekonic L-308.

    I did some search on the web and read many articles about calibrating their light meters. However, none of them managed to elaborate further on exactly how do they calibrate their devices.

    Anyone here kind enough to explain how to calibrate the light meter?
    For incident light meter, it is calibrated to give mid grey when the same light source falls on an 18% grey card.

    For reflected light meter, it is calibrated to give mid grey when the reflected light from an 18% grey card is measured.

    Light meters are already factory calibrated but give you the option to tweak to your preferred setting like exposure compensation. It is preferrable not to tweak it yourself and just compensate the exposure manually.

    Download the L-758 manual (below) and read the section on Camera Exposure Profiling. It might give you a better idea of how the meter works with your camera.
    http://www.sekonic.com/upload/files/...al_English.pdf

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •