Thread: prime lens??

Default prime lens??

hey, sorry if this qustion is stupid to some of you guys, but i sincerly wanna know what is a meaning of a prime lens?

thanks

Default Re: prime lens??

Lenses with single focal length.

Quote Originally Posted by wawasan View Post
    hey, sorry if this qustion is stupid to some of you guys, but i sincerly wanna know what is a meaning of a prime lens?

thanks
    Lens with fixed focal length (i.e. 50mm), which u cannot zoom.

a lens that's 20/30 years old..

jokes aside, the other 2 have already answered the qns..

Just to add on a little bit. Prime lenses tend to have larger apertures than zoom lens. Something like 50mm F1.4.
    The best things in life are free.

Also add a bit more, prime lenses are usually sharper than zoom lenses.

thanks alot guys!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTan89 View Post
    Also add a bit more, prime lenses are usually sharper than zoom lenses.
    Oooh Ooohh! This is because of the "simpler" construction!
    Meow!

Actually it is not simpler construction as per say. Prime only have to deal with one single focal length (eg. 50mm) thus it uses less glass elements. The less glass elements light has to pass through to the film or Image Sensor, the more clarity of the image is retained. YOu need more glass elements in zooms of various thickness and shape in order to give you that varying zoom lengths (eg..18-70mm)

As clear as you might look at a glass element with your naked eye, it is only at sub-micro level that you see tiny particles impurity or air bubbles which technology has tried it's best to eliminate as much of it but still remains bits of it to some extend and as you stack layer after layer of glass element making up that lens' varying focal length, some light fall-out and distortion or colour aberration will occur. But the good news is it is very small. By today's zoom standard compare to those in the 80s and I dare say 90s, they are much more better made. In those days...if you are a serious or pro photographer you never use zoom lens for shoots. Everyone was doing primes.
    Last edited by sammy888; 29th June 2008 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Actually it is not simpler construction as per say. Prime only have to deal with one single focal length (eg. 50mm) thus it uses less glass elements. The less glass elements light has to pass through to the film or Image Sensor, the more clarity of the image is retained. YOu need more glass elements in zooms of various thickness and shape in order to give you that varying zoom lengths (eg..18-70mm)

As clear as you might look at a glass element with your naked eye, it is only at sub-micro level that you see tiny particles impurity or air bubbles which technology has tried it's best to eliminate as much of it but still remains bits of it to some extend and as you stack layer after layer of glass element making up that lens' varying focal length, some light fall-out and distortion or colour aberration will occur. But the good news is it is very small. By today's zoom standard compare to those in the 80s and I dare say 90s, they are much more better made. In those days...if you are a serious or pro photographer you never use zoom lens for shoots. Everyone was doing primes.
    This is generally also why a 18-200 zoom, while convenient, is usually never very good in resolving detail.

Prime lens is my fav. I used it 95% of the time
    Happy 51st Nday Singapore!!!! Shot this Taiwanese Model @ 30th July Nday fireworks

Quote Originally Posted by wawasan View Post

thanks
    This is not a stupid Q, i learnt something new as well

Prime lenses used less lens elements and thus chances of ghosting and flares due to dust or deflected rays from the direct sunlight is minimum or negligible. Using prime lenses for wide angle landscape shots pointing your cam directly or near a strong like source may not register flares as much as most digicam or zoom lenses.

Pardon my ignorance: with a 50mm f1.4, it means the largest aperture it could go to is f1.4, but still able to get smaller aperture(f5.6, f8, f11 etc.) to capture better DOF?

Quote Originally Posted by thomasinmotion View Post
    Pardon my ignorance: with a 50mm f1.4, it means the largest aperture it could go to is f1.4, but still able to get smaller aperture(f5.6, f8, f11 etc.) to capture better DOF?
    yes you are able to

yes of course

Maybe asking twice will yield more in-depth answers?
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    Maybe asking twice will yield more in-depth answers?
    Hey! Take it easy on him! Maybe it was a technical error?? Hit enter twice or something like that.