Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do i need to know about web hosting?

Default Re: What do i need to know about web hosting?

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    anyone know the setting to allow the words within to be searchable on google and stuff?
    it takes time for the pages to appear in the search engines. don't worry. the crawlers need some time to index your page and all. another way is to add keywords in the meta tags to increase search rankings, but abuse of that will get your page pushed even lower.

this search engine optimization stuff is a whole new can of worms, so dont worry about that first. get your blog/page/site up and running the way you want it then figure out how to improve search rankings.
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

zoosh, borrowing your thread,
    I wish to keep a website under my own name, just for fun now, but eventually I wish to add pictures I took, my notes, writings etc

Is there a company locally which can do it, and can I use my name say www.lsc.com or www.petetherock.com etc?

Thanks
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    I wish to keep a website under my own name, just for fun now, but eventually I wish to add pictures I took, my notes, writings etc

Is there a company locally which can do it, and can I use my name say www.lsc.com or www.petetherock.com etc?

Thanks
    with my limited knowledge, i think that means having your own "domain".

Mind if I ask, I am looking for spaces to upload some flash slideshow to let some friends view it.. dunno how to go about doing it, does wordpress allow uploading of slideshow and displaying it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
    Mind if I ask, I am looking for spaces to upload some flash slideshow to let some friends view it.. dunno how to go about doing it, does wordpress allow uploading of slideshow and displaying it?
    wat kinda slideshow?

most of the time, u dun even need WP. You just load up to the server. then u give them the address. Most flash will do autorun.

WP is just to make it more organised.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

Thanks
    some web hosting company will register your domain name for free when you take up their web hosting services. you can check http://www.w3hub.com/. if that domain name is of a registered company you need to provide them the company registration to proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by jopel View Post
    some web hosting company will register your domain name for free when you take up their web hosting services. you can check http://www.w3hub.com/. if that domain name is of a registered company you need to provide them the company registration to proceed.

additional info: u can register the domain yourself or ask the web hosting company to do it for u.. just make sure that u r the owner of the domain instead of the web hosting company. i heard of cases where the web hosting company register the domain under their own name n when the customer want to change company, the domain name is being held by the web hosting company.
    themerchantspace.com

hey zoosh,

did you get the answer to your question about inserting some keywords into your website so it's easier for people to search? does meta data tags actually work on google?
    ---
    "again!" www.rhetoriques.com

I will not recommend anyone to take up deals from those who offer 'free domain' from hosts, mainly because I've seen numerous incidents when the website owner wants to switch host, the hosts tried to make things difficult by not releasing the domains. And they might even transfer the rights to domain harvesters or dealers, meaning that you'd have to pay ridiculous amounts of money just to have your domain back. I would recommend 000domains.com. I've used them for 7, 8 years now.

On the same note, I would also advise against oversellers of paid hosting (i.e., give unlimited bandwidth, unlimited space, or ridiculous amounts at very low price) because chances are you'd end up on servers with very high loads (i.e., very slow load times for your site, especially if running on database, e.g. wordpress and other content management based pages).

Another thing to note is the spam management policy. I know of some webhosts who're helpless against spam, so ended up blocking mails from even dominant users like aol, yahoo and hotmail. If we're talking about a site that has certain image to upkeep, this could be an issue.

If you sign up with a host that throws in Cpanel preloaded with Fantastico, there are many software pre-installed that can make building sites a lot easier.
    Last edited by shinken; 3rd July 2008 at 11:36 AM.

i second shinken on everything.. plus those text ads on the side are just plain ugly.

and i love cpanel. haha
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by ryosae View Post
    hey zoosh,

did you get the answer to your question about inserting some keywords into your website so it's easier for people to search? does meta data tags actually work on google?
    as what antacid had said, google does 'look through' meta data tags.... but the main thing to push up the ranking is not based only on meta data tags... search engine optimization(SEO) is quite complex.. maybe u will want search on google to get a basic idea..
    themerchantspace.com

ooh.. thanks goyy. needed the magic word; SEO.
    ---

ooh.. thanks goyy. needed the magic word; SEO.
    u're welcome.. i read the whole seo ebook found online.. quite interesting... but still hard to implement to my site.. haha..
    themerchantspace.com

Thanks for the advice, so can anyone point me to a possible web hosting site?
    Cheers
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

hey zoosh,

nope. busy lately. and haven't really explored the recommendations and setup from dort... not very IT inclined.... much much worse than many of those at my age using skype, palm, blogs and all the IT stuff. wordpress seems to have tags for post, but no tags for pages... from my understanding which may be wrong, posts are (short) entries that will be listed in a chronological order on the same webpage while pages are separate web pages that can be sequenced as u wish.
    Last edited by zoossh; 3rd July 2008 at 06:44 PM.

Pete, I would say no to Surfspeedy, that's for sure. I just got out after a year's contract (which I advise against too, despite the savings). After some amount of research recently, I went ahead and hosted my blog at 1host.com and my web at downtownhost.com. You could check out the load times. Downtown hosts allow slightly more databases than 1host (e.g., you need 3 databases if u want a blog, a forum and a content management site). With the experience so far, 1host seems to load faster. Both offer very fast turnaround for support services (an extremely important thing to have).

Hey thanks..

Flash slideshow created with soundslides .. so no need WP?

Just need to find any free web host service provider & upload the folder right?

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    wat kinda slideshow?

most of the time, u dun even need WP. You just load up to the server. then u give them the address. Most flash will do autorun.

WP is just to make it more organised.

petetherock: u may want to take a look at this thread: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390057
    a bit similar to this topic.. someone recommend limebox.... or u may want to check out webhostingsg.com for more web hosting company...
    themerchantspace.com

i use 3ix and they're pretty okay so far.. for webhosting
    ---

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12