Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Lense From USA by Singpost's 'Vpost' ??

Default Re: Getting Lense From USA by Singpost's 'Vpost' ??

well actually, i believe that the US$1=S$1.37+ rate you look at online or in the papers are institutional rates that only big companies enjoy when changing large sums of money. Banks usually offer quite competitive rates on credit cards as compared to your local changers.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    Besides the GST, u also need to know that credit card company will "mark-up" the exchange rate to their advantage, this is part of their profit. For example, I bought some books from Amazon using S$ VISA card, the exchange rate for that day was about US$1=S$1.37+ but the bank charged me at exchange rate of US$1=S$1.40+, so in effect they earned about 2%.
    Yeah.... I did thought about that. But still cheaper than what it would cost to get even the greyset here.

$1025 USD = about $1375 SGD - even if they markup the rates.... at the most $1420 SGD. Still cheaper than a greyset selling for $1600.....

Now waiting for Amazon.Com to answer the Question about Credit Card Billing address.....

Scuba & Father... For Life

Just got this from Amazon.Com -

Thanks for writing to us at Amazon.com.

All items sold on our website can be purchased with the following
    credit cards:

- American Express
    - Diners Club (U.S. orders only)
    - Discover
    - MasterCard
    - Visa, Visa Electron, and Visa Check Cards
    - Eurocard
    - JCB

We also accept payment from your checking account, Amazon.com gift cards, Amazon Store Card, Webcertificates, and checks, money orders, traveler's checks, or cashier's checks denominated in U.S. dollars and drawn on a U.S. bank.

Currently we don't have any special arrangements to ship to hotels.

Due to the fact that our availability and shipping times are estimates, we don't recommend that you have packages shipped to a temporary residence. If you wish to ship to a hotel, we suggest that you try to include your room number when placing your order.

You can use our shipping estimates to get a rough idea of when your package will arrive. When you are placing an order via the Shopping Cart, you will see an estimated shipping date displayed on the final page of the order form, just before you submit your order. Once your order has been placed, an estimated delivery date will be displayed in "Your Account" (http://www.amazon.com/your-account).

Please keep in mind that a delay that would make a package a few days late when shipped to a permanent address could arrive after your stay at your temporary residence has ended.

Packages delivered to hotel addresses are often left with the manager or mail room. If your package has shipped but will not arrive before your departure, please notify the hotel management or desk clerk in advance and request that the package be refused. When the package is returned to us as undeliverable, we can issue a full refund. Please note that we cannot be responsible for packages that are forwarded to another address from your temporary address.

This is the same reply they send me earlier..... I don't think any 'Human' read my question, but they have a Computer do the answering...... .

If you want to buy lens from US and have them shipped directly to S'pore, try BH Photo. They are very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by arsene View Post
    If you want to buy lens from US and have them shipped directly to S'pore, try BH Photo. They are very reliable.
    Thxs....

But I'm trying to be cheap by having the lens send to my Bro at Salt Lake City.... he could then bring the lens back without GST or extra delivery cost. Or at least..... thats what I was hoping for....

I've found their delivery estimate, provided you use two day shipping and they actually have it in stock, to be very reliable. In fact, my most recent order arrived the next day even though I had it shipped using 2 day - and order was placed in afternoon.

If your brother is going to be in SLC for a week or so, I'd say the odds of the lens arriving in time is extremely high.

Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    I've found their delivery estimate, provided you use two day shipping and they actually have it in stock, to be very reliable. In fact, my most recent order arrived the next day even though I had it shipped using 2 day - and order was placed in afternoon.

If your brother is going to be in SLC for a week or so, I'd say the odds of the lens arriving in time is extremely high.
    Hahaha.... that is true.... until I just saw on Amazon.Com, that they only have 1 set left....

My Brother won't be SLC till next week..... highly possible that the Lens would be gone by then Unless Amazon.Com re-stock NOW or that no one is getting the last set till middle of next week......

I don't even mind paying extra for a faster delivery to the Hotel..... just to make sure my Bro will get it on time

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Hahaha.... that is true.... until I just saw on Amazon.Com, that they only have 1 set left....
    Have no fear, Amazon restocks often. If not, well...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...4L_IS_USM.html

Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    Have no fear, Amazon restocks often. If not, well...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...4L_IS_USM.html
    Thxs for the Link Bro..... if worst comes to worst.... Can still get from B&H....

Ooppsss.... spoken too soon

From B&H website -
    On-line orders cannot be shipped to Hotels / motels / resorts, PMB,FedEx or UPS locations, please Contact Us for more options.
    Last edited by diver-hloc; 2nd July 2008 at 04:45 PM.

Bro

Also got adorama with free shipping and rebate ( USD 1025 )

http://www.adorama.com/CA702004ISU.h...00mm&item_no=1

Regards
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Bro

Also got adorama with free shipping and rebate ( USD 1025 )

http://www.adorama.com/CA702004ISU.h...00mm&item_no=1

Regards
    Ryan
    Thxs Bro....

On-line orders cannot be shipped to Hotels / motels / resorts, PMB,FedEx or UPS locations, please Contact Us for more options.
    Hmm... I guess you could try ordering by phone instead - they take phone orders as well for exactly the same price as online orders, in case Adorama doesn't want to ship to hotels either.

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    You gotta make sure the delivery is within the stated date though. Else little delays and if ur brother checked out ..

( I tried it on Wimberley and KEH though, not amazon ) Simply give them the details of the room to be delivered. The last time they left it at the reception and they informed my friend of the package.

Ryan
    I did an order with Amazon last month. Shipped it to a friend who was going to be sheraton, CT. Package arrived a week before he checked in. He received it as he checked in. No drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiver View Post
    I did an order with Amazon last month. Shipped it to a friend who was going to be sheraton, CT. Package arrived a week before he checked in. He received it as he checked in. No drama.
    Wow.... Best news so far Thxs Bro/Sis

I'm paying extra for faster delivery..... time shouldn't be a problem..... Does Amazon.Com still have stock by then would be the problem.....

Update......

Life SU*KS !!.....

Was checking on Amazon.Com..... and guess what I saw -

Canon EF 70-200mm f4 IS USM L - Shipping: Usually ships within 1 - 2 months

They must have run out of stock !! ..... No way I could send the lens to my Bro now.......

Luckily..... giantcanopy suggestion of - Adorama.Com - still have stock at the same price.... just add $16.35USD to have it ship by UPS 3 Day Air.... and likely my Bro would get it by Next Weeks end...... and best, Adorama.Com uses PayPal....

Hope nothing more goes wrong......

Update....

Just finish buying the Lens from Adorama.Com ...... Now waiting for them to confirm with PayPal. I paid for the 3 day UPS delivery..... hopfully, my bro would get it at Utah by the end of the week.

Now my fear is getting a reject email from them about the address or billing address....

Keeping my finger cross....

Update....

Just finish buying the Lens from Adorama.Com ...... Now waiting for them to confirm with PayPal. I paid for the 3 day UPS delivery..... hopfully, my bro would get it at Utah by the end of the week.

Now my fear is getting a reject email from them about the address or billing address....

Keeping my finger cross....
    Good luck. Lots of people must be watching, hoping for success, intending to emulate you some day

Update.....

Just saw this on my email.... at 0530hr.....

Hi XXXXX,

Your Order is being held for the following reason.

Please be advised that for security purposes we can only ship to
    Hotels if we can verify the stay at the Hotel and we also must confirm
    the check-in dates that they will be in the time frame of the delivery
    In addition we will need to get confirmation that you accept
    responsibility for whatever happens to the package once it is signed
    for by the Hotel staff.

Please respond to us as soon as possible.

Thank You

Not too bad..... I reply that my Brother is already there and will still be there till end of NEXT week. And that I will take responsibility for whatever happens to the package once it is signed for by the Hotel staff..... which is the part that makes me sweat right now..... Waiting for them to reply again......

Update.....

Hard to reply to any email from the Online Store.... since there is a 10-12hr time difference between USA & S'pore..... by the time I answer the 1st email at 0530hr local time, that person in US would have already gone home from work (1730Hr US time).

But..... My order came throught !!

Thank you for your reply. Your order will be shiped out today.

From the desk of.....
    Mayer Klein
    Account Verification Dept.
    Adorama Camera, Inc
    Mayerk@adorama.com
    Phone: 800-223-2500 x 2270
    Fax: 212-645-4533

It should be in My Bros hand in 3 days time...... if nothing else goes wrong

Hard to reply to any email from the Online Store.... since there is a 10-12hr time difference between USA & S'pore..... by the time I answer the 1st email at 0530hr local time, that person in US would have already gone home from work (1730Hr US time).

But..... My order came throught !!
    Great One reason I prefer B&H for such orders - if you can talk to a person and straighten everything out, there's unlikely to be unforeseen delays.

So, from your signature line, how much did you sell your soul for?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast