Thread: How long does it take to upload your photos on to the web??

Default How long does it take to upload your photos on to the web??

I use flickr, paying, and I find that uploading 300+ 10 MP JPEGS takes like nearly 12-24 hours. Is that the experience that u share? From my trip, perhaps total of 20+ GB of photos, it is nearly 4 days now, and I am still uploading the photos and not even halfway through. Does it normally take so long to upload?? Thanks.
    I have a near-mint Olympus E-620 Underwater Case for Sale. PM me for a great deal!

Default Re: How long does it take to upload your photos on to the web??

Yes. I normally upload around ~3-4GB to my Flickr Pro account and I just let it run overnight at home and while I'm at work. It takes quite a while with the super-high-res images we tend to shoot at.

You may using broadband and have the highest speed subscription but what some folks are unware is that there is a difference in upload and download speed. When they sell you a broadband package and they say like 512kbps, 3Mps or 8Mps. They are smart to market the download speed and NOT Upload Speed. For example 512kbps and 1Mps, you are getting only 256kbps for uploading speed. For a 3Mps broadband, you are only getting upto 35o kbps. You do the math. This is not exclusive to Singapore ISP only.. all ISP around the world does that. They figure you are more likely to download website or stuff more then you would upload. So why not limit the resources by switch the speed down. They could also claim that it is all to ensure less spamming occurs as one of the reasons.

And you also have to know one important thing about internet and how it works. When you send your data packets( which is your photo in this case) you are not sending it from your PC direct to Flickr. And it is not sending it as one big data file, it si cut into small chunks and each pack sent out to them, you get a signal back saying it is done and instruct your PC to send another packet. So it does this millions of time for your uploading of photos all those hours. And it much get a signal to say okay or it will keep sending the same old packet or just hang there waiting. Okay so now It will leave your PC, gets to a hub or relay station around your housing area, gets to Singnet then make it's way out of Singapore and it gets bounce through a few more node points ( some are fast and some are slow) before it gets into flickr's server where your account is kept. There again are more bottle necks too.

Flickr is very popular with millions of people. Whether you are paying or a free user, I don't think there is a special pipe just for you exclusively. So you have share that internet pipe along with everyone else trying to pull our photos and website codes to view the wedpage of flickr or in your case trying to put your photo up to them...etc Imagine a door way and you have 5 people trying to make their way through to the other side of the door with another 5 people from the other side trying to do the same thing. It will take a while right? Now imagine 100 people trying to do the same thing.

That is why I tell all my friends, don't pay so much for up to 3-8Mps of broadband speed if you are the only one at home using it. Even if you have a few people sharing internet from one connection at home, 3Mps for MOST surfing is more then enough or overkill. The only people who need that kind of raw speed are those connecting to multi sites that also have broadband and not just normal broadband but speed that is just as fast as what you subcribed to.

Not everyone in the world has broadband too and some ISP are still offering 512kbps as the fastest upload speed for their internet servers. So in that sense even ifyou have a 8Mps broadband at home, accessing a site that has only a 512kbps speed output, it will just mean you still have to sit and wait at your end for it to throw you the file at 512kps speed and NOT 8Mps. The opposite is true too. that is why it takes you so long to upload. You can send your data out as fast as 8Mps but if flickr can only take in data at a slow cow speed of 512kbps ( which by the way is only half of 1Mps if you did not know by now) then you will find yourself waiting a very long time at your computer.

So if all you are doing is only to let people see your picture on the PC and you are not going to let them steal it or use the photo. Why are you sending such huge files over to flickr???? I would convert all of them to something like 800x600 pixel and put a watermark on it and send it out with a medium jpg compression. Useless I am selling the pictures. And if that be so, you are out of luck bro...it will take a long time to upload. No choice. That is why folks like me, when I am downloading a movie or upload some huge graphic project file for advetisement in another country, I will set it to send and leave it on while I go sleep and work. Hope that answer your question.
    Last edited by sammy888; 27th June 2008 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oly5050 View Post
    I use flickr, paying, and I find that uploading 300+ 10 MP JPEGS takes like nearly 12-24 hours. Is that the experience that u share? From my trip, perhaps total of 20+ GB of photos, it is nearly 4 days now, and I am still uploading the photos and not even halfway through. Does it normally take so long to upload?? Thanks.
    www.speedtest.net
    Objection !!!

I always resize then upload. And I dont have many photos to upload too. So not that long.