Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Energy Conservation woes...

Default Re: Energy Conservation woes...

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    Canew, your office also about 26 Deg C if I'm not mistaken.
    No Bro, the setting is almost 25 Deg C. Not quite at 25 yet, but almost there. Those occupants of the rooms at the side of the building complained when it hit 25.

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    We were from the same office till last year.
    Ya lar...

I was reading the newspaper last weekend. It was mentioned that there are some cities in the world that are planning to be carbon neutral. I am wondering, how can we be carbon neutral? There are bound to be carbon emissions. Do they mean that they have 'green lungs' area to absorb the carbon emitted?

Carbon neutral means they got some other means to offset their emissions.

For example, let's say City A emits 10,000 tonnes of carbon, so they plant more trees elsewhere that can absorb 10,000 tonnes.

Its may not be the same carbon that City A emits, but the net effect is neutralised.

neat idea...

cant they become carbon negative, and offset some other cities emission..
    ---
    "again!" www.rhetoriques.com

Oh yes, some cities do. That's why they have a carbon trading market, where they can sell it to countries that emit above their quota.

Quote Originally Posted by ryosae View Post
    neat idea...

cant they become carbon negative, and offset some other cities emission..
    human also produce carbon as in CO2 wat... just not as much as direct burning.

instead, y not use the excess carbon to make into diamonds, more economical rite (wishful thinking)
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    Oh yes, some cities do. That's why they have a carbon trading market, where they can sell it to countries that emit above their quota.
    coollll..
    just remembered this site a friend forwarded sometime back: www.babytree.org
    im sure there's plenty more

and for del_ctrlnoalt, www.debeers.com hahaha..
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    Wow! There is such a thing as carbon trading? I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing, swerve.

believe or not.. F1 is a carbon neutral sport
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

:O how many rainforest have they planted by now? ha ha ha
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    believe or not.. F1 is a carbon neutral sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ryosae View Post
    :O how many rainforest have they planted by now? ha ha ha
    Not that way - they have switched to 'bio-fuel'. Even traditionally they used a lot of ethanol mixed in anyway - now they have just switched completely.

Now to weather it was better to leave the farming land they used virgin forest or use it for growing food instead of liquid fuel is a whole other argument.

As the international carbon trading systems get going, it's going to be relatively easy to be 'carbon neutral' but I don't think it will result in an optimal system by a long shot, in particular it already seems to be pushing up food prices as farmers find they can make better money out of fuel crops instead of food crops.

Really we have to restructure our energy use patterns, particularly in transport, where the entire sector is addicted to a cheap high density portable liquid power source - and with western economy's still quoting car sales figures as part of their economic heath, it ain't going to be easy.

Can you see transport being exclusively run by electric railways and sailing ships any time soon ? We have spent the last 100 years or so building an entire world economy around cheap meshed point to point transport fuelled by a high energy density liquid hydrocarbon. Undoing this is going to be hard and painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    Well, dunno to laugh or to be extremely pissed...

Spent some time today morning activating back my connections cos last night someone pulled the plug off the server and switches...

So i found out who the one who pulled it... and the reason? Media say, even if we off the system, its still using energy... so this person go switch off the mains of the server and switches since everyone go home already...
    This person needs to be given a serious talking to. Unless it was the boss, who hopefully you can make understand that you can't just go turning off the infrastructure like that.

It may be worth while investigating the power management in your server(s) at least and configure them to go into lower power modes when idle - like slowing the CPU down and stopping the hard disks when idle. Nearly all servers I currently run have Intel Speedstep or AMD PowerNow, and the CPU's change speed depending on demand. Unfortunately I don't have any RAID controllers that can power down the drives when they go idle.
    Lowering the clock speed is only a small saving, but lots of small savings add up.

Of interest I measured the power of a number of desktop machines at work, and was surprised at the high 'off' power consumed. My Dell 745 used 16w when TURNED OFF. And this was with the lower power mode activated (Wake On Lan disabled). It was about 20W with Wake on Lan enabled. The machine uses about a peak of 80W when running. A Dell prescision workstation (A Dual Socket Quad Core monster) was found to draw 75W when turned off! (And peaked at near 400W when running a compile, and you could probably add another 100W if the graphics card was being pushed as well!).

Just turning an office full of PC's off at their power points over night will save a significant amount of power.

wow... i better check my cpu. this is very interesting to note. thanks.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    wth...i would be damn pissed if some1 does that to the main server supply.
    maybe you could leave a big paste it note telling whichever person not to off everything.
    if we do care about engery conservation, we would have done it long time ago...why wait till now.
    It's better starting late, then never.

GMAN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12