Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: After calibration, monitor looks warmer. Normal?

Default Re: After calibration, monitor looks warmer. Normal?

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Tell them their screen is wrong, when they print it out it will look like what you get on your screen..
    the funny thing is...when i send to my printer, they do not reproduce the colors on print.i have to physically sit down there with them till they adjust to the right tone i want and they will click print.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    the funny thing is...when i send to my printer, they do not reproduce the colors on print.i have to physically sit down there with them till they adjust to the right tone i want and they will click print.
    Photo lab or offset printers?

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    Photo lab or offset printers?
    photolab.
    what's offset printers?

Send to Colourlab lah.. Many photo labs are not colour managed also.. sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    Hi Guys,

Just got a Spyder3Pro and went about to calibrate my 19" Viewsonic LCD monitor. Was using sRGB color mode all the while. After calibrating, the colours is now on the warm side and it looks yellowish. I kinda prefer the old colors which is brighter and less yellowish. Is it normal because my eyes is too used to the old settings?

Thanks
    BTW, I had a sypder 2 which was faulty and the colors given were too warm. Quite obvious. Best if you have a another good LCD for comparison. I use my epson P3000 as a comparison as I think the P3000 LCD is very good.

I got the faulty spyder exchanged and the new spyder calibrated much closer to reality.

you saved your pics with srgb profile? or adobe?

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    you saved your pics with srgb profile? or adobe?
    i usually shoot in adobe, then convert to srgb in CS3.

i usually shoot in adobe, then convert to srgb in CS3.
    hmm..maybe have to change printers. maybe they din calibrate properly

photolab.
    what's offset printers?
    if i am not wrong, offset printers are the ones that do large scale printing, like press and magazines.

anyways, here's a little contribution. wrote some stuff on this topic a while back.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382295

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Tell them their screen is wrong, when they print it out it will look like what you get on your screen..
    i did. end up giving them 2 sets. 1 with the proper colors 1 with something that they wanted.

i shoot for friends who has zero knowledge on color management.
    havent had complains from ppl that i shot for free yet.

photolab.
    what's offset printers?
    Which Photo lab did you sent to? I know Grace at Sunset Way, KT at Hong Lim, Fotohub at Bugis and Colorlab at Adelphi delivers consistent results because I usually send to them. Converting from Adobe to sRGB will result in weird color conversions especially orange and red. I usually shoot in sRGB if my final print output prefers sRGB. Before sending for print, I make a habit of doing a soft proof in Photoshop to get a rough idea of how its final colours is going to be like. For e.g. a bright red viewed in Photoshop might not be the bright red you see in print. It certainly helped me a lot to check for out of gamut colours.

Offset printers are the big machines that prints magazines/books etc. They also provide color proofs which sometimes may go nuts if your monitor is not calibrated to their standard. But that is another headache for another day.

May be should consider "calibrating" the room light to 6500 as well

erm wait. i still dun get it.

so lets say im TS. I calibrated my screen, and now everything looks warmer/yellowish & stuff.

of course, my pictures will look yellowish, so I have to correct the yellow colour back to white? (assuming im using a calibrated neutral printer) otherwise the print will look yellow too?

and if i push the yellow back to white, when viewed on other (unclibrated) screens will look blueish right?

and another OT qn. I do photo editing for a studio. when I view my edited photos on the studio mac, it always look flat, lack of contrast. I even lowered the contrast of my screen so I will raise the contrast to my editions. But they still look flat on the Mac. Im using a PC though. The Mac screen is calibrated to the printer, my PC is not. izzit coz of the gamma difference between the mac and pc screens?

what should I do? should I raise the contrast my editions somemore so the pictures will look contasty in the MAC? or should I just leave it?
    Last edited by IsenGrim; 28th June 2008 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    Which Photo lab did you sent to? I know Grace at Sunset Way, KT at Hong Lim, Fotohub at Bugis and Colorlab at Adelphi delivers consistent results because I usually send to them. Converting from Adobe to sRGB will result in weird color conversions especially orange and red. I usually shoot in sRGB if my final print output prefers sRGB. Before sending for print, I make a habit of doing a soft proof in Photoshop to get a rough idea of how its final colours is going to be like. For e.g. a bright red viewed in Photoshop might not be the bright red you see in print. It certainly helped me a lot to check for out of gamut colours.

Offset printers are the big machines that prints magazines/books etc. They also provide color proofs which sometimes may go nuts if your monitor is not calibrated to their standard. But that is another headache for another day.
    im sorry, but what is soft proof? and how to go about doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by IsenGrim View Post
    erm wait. i still dun get it.

so lets say im TS. I calibrated my screen, and now everything looks warmer/yellowish & stuff.

of course, my pictures will look yellowish, so I have to correct the yellow colour back to white? (assuming im using a calibrated neutral printer) otherwise the print will look yellow too?

and if i push the yellow back to white, when viewed on other (unclibrated) screens will look blueish right?
    the yellowish tint is not really that yellow..more of warm white. and after a few days it will look white to you, and what you knew was white will look more blue.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    the yellowish tint is not really that yellow..more of warm white. and after a few days it will look white to you, and what you knew was white will look more blue.
    hmm? but i tot the point is to correct the warm white away into neutral white?

eg: my screen was previously set at 5000k, and my white looks "white". but in reality, when compared to a neutrally calibrated printer, it is yellowish (or warmish white). Thus when I calibrate my screen to 6500k, it will reveal the yellow to me (or warmish white). then i exclaim, "no wonder my prints looks warmish white (yellow)". and then from there i correct the yellow (warmish white) back to the correct white i want.

is that not right?

Quote Originally Posted by IsenGrim View Post
    hmm? but i tot the point is to correct the warm white away into neutral white?

eg: my screen was previously set at 5000k, and my white looks "white". but in reality, when compared to a neutrally calibrated printer, it is yellowish (or warmish white). Thus when I calibrate my screen to 6500k, it will reveal the yellow to me (or warmish white). then i exclaim, "no wonder my prints looks warmish white (yellow)". and then from there i correct the yellow (warmish white) back to the correct white i want.

is that not right?
    so your original setting was warm white (5500K) which caused white to turn out more yellow on your printer. yeah..so you will have to correct that to your calibrated white (6500K).

I'm now forcing my brain to accept that the white I am seeing is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    I'm now forcing my brain to accept that the white I am seeing is correct.
    patience...dont have to force. it will happen naturally in the next few days

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast