Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Travelling with camera gears

  1. #1

    Default Travelling with camera gears

    I am planning on a business trip to the Middle East, Johannesburg and Cyprus. I am very concerned about the humidity level...

    I read that dropping silica gel into camera bag is useless as it's not air tight. Any avid traveller can advise?

    I will be away for about 11 days

  2. #2

    Default Re: Travelling with camera gears

    if you travel for 11 days and you keep moving and using your gear then you dont need to worry about the humidity. By the way every evening you will be back in the hotelroom which should be aircon. So enjoy the shooting
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

  3. #3

    Default Re: Travelling with camera gears

    In humid areas like Mt Kinabalu, you can consider storing your camera and lenses (when not in use) in ziplock bags with packets of silica gel within these bags.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Travelling with camera gears

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    if you travel for 11 days and you keep moving and using your gear then you dont need to worry about the humidity. By the way every evening you will be back in the hotelroom which should be aircon. So enjoy the shooting
    i will be mostly in aircon places most of the item. My cam will not be sling across mi often as this is an official business trip.

    Any advice?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Travelling with camera gears

    11 days shouldn't be much of an issue as it takes longer than that for mold to grow - if need be, put your stuff in a ziplock bag with silica gel packs.

    Will be be going to Limassol in Cyprus? Don't miss out on Pafos (Paphos) for beautiful sunsets & Troodos Mountains.
    hasta la justicia siempre

  6. #6

    Default Re: Travelling with camera gears

    Quote Originally Posted by cmeptb72 View Post
    11 days shouldn't be much of an issue as it takes longer than that for mold to grow - if need be, put your stuff in a ziplock bag with silica gel packs.

    Will be be going to Limassol in Cyprus? Don't miss out on Pafos (Paphos) for beautiful sunsets & Troodos Mountains.
    i am not too worried abt Middle East as the humidity level is around 30+%. Johannesburg is pretty low too...

    The humidity in Cyprus is higher than Singapore, standing around 90+%.

    Cyprus is quite a chill off place for me and I been there quite often. Always frequent Larnaca and Limassol as my two customers are there. Might be going up to Nicosia if time permits...

    For ppl who aint familiar with the Cyprus, the Cypriots are famous for drinking, smoking and womanizing.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Travelling with camera gears

    Quote Originally Posted by juanism View Post
    i will be mostly in aircon places most of the item. My cam will not be sling across mi often as this is an official business trip.

    Any advice?
    still 11days no worry, your gear anyway most of time in aircon
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

  8. #8

    Default Re: Travelling with camera gears

    since you are going to Johannesburg, you should worry about the security of the camera instead of the humidity. The crime rate is pretty high there, an Asian will stand out like a sore thumb there. Thats how i feel walking around their shopping complex. else the humidity is pretty low there as compared to here

  9. #9

    Default Re: Travelling with camera gears

    Security is my other concern but nothing much I can do. "high-alert" will be the best position to be in.

    Primarily, doing business is first priority and taking pictures will be secondary

  10. #10

    Default Re: Travelling with camera gears

    Make sure the equipment you packed will not knock against one another if you happen to be checked by security who, for some unknown reason, threw your bag down ! Better to be safe than sorry. in some places, shopping mall also conduct security check and carried out by the unprofessionals...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •