Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Filters to recommend?

  1. #1

    Default Filters to recommend?

    Hi people

    I just bought a 400D recently
    And was wondering what are the filters that are most commonly use and the one that i can try with?
    And what are different filters for
    Please educate me

  2. #2
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Filters to recommend?

    Google is your BEST FRIEND

    Google = Camera filters
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  3. #3

    Default Re: Filters to recommend?

    Get these 2 first

    1) UV or skylight filter is almost a necessity to protect the lens.
    2)Circular polariser - get saturated blue sky, cut down reflection n glares

    The rest can wait but I find the graduated ND filter useful for landscape shots.
    :)

  4. #4

    Default Re: Filters to recommend?

    A couple of websites on this:

    http://www.naturephotographers.net/dw0502-1.html

    http://www.fotoart.gr/photography/te...ers/index.html

    Of these the two most useful would be the UV filter and the polarizer, as bedrock has already pointed out.

    raghu

  5. #5

    Default Re: Filters to recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by bedrock View Post
    Get these 2 first

    1) UV or skylight filter is almost a necessity to protect the lens.
    2)Circular polariser - get saturated blue sky, cut down reflection n glares

    The rest can wait but I find the graduated ND filter useful for landscape shots.
    is it possible to use both UV filter and polariser together without suffering image degradation?

    my main point is not to remove the UV filter, which will always be screwed on to the lens, whether in thunder, lightning or in rain.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Filters to recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaysquare View Post
    is it possible to use both UV filter and polariser together without suffering image degradation?

    my main point is not to remove the UV filter, which will always be screwed on to the lens, whether in thunder, lightning or in rain.
    sorry answer is found here.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389207

    please ignore my previous post.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Filters to recommend?

    Thanks for the advices guys
    I already got a UV filters
    Will try to get hold of a polarize filter soon


  8. #8

    Default Re: Filters to recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by asidie View Post
    Thanks for the advices guys
    I already got a UV filters
    Will try to get hold of a polarize filter soon

    You may want to take into account what kind of lens you have for the circular polarizing filter. If the front element of your lens rotates, then the CPL filter 'setting' will get affected.

  9. #9
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Filters to recommend?

    Only ND, GND, CP for me.

    Ryan

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sydney/Singapore
    Posts
    360

    Default Re: Filters to recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by asidie View Post
    Thanks for the advices guys
    I already got a UV filters
    Will try to get hold of a polarize filter soon

    be sure to get yourself one of better make and quality. there's no point cheapening out on a $40 filter in front of a lens that is way much more expensive. a poor piece of glass in front of a good glass only transmits poorer light to your sensor.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •