Thread: What is the typical lifespan of a digital camera?

Default What is the typical lifespan of a digital camera?

Is it true that digital cameras has a 'mean time before failure' rating like many of those computer components?

Does it mean that once a digital camera has taken a certain number of shots, it will fail after that? Anyone knows typically how many shots? 10,000?

The typical lifespan of a digital camera is about 6 months before the fatal urge to upgrade kicks in.

Default Re: What is the typical lifespan of a digital camera?

Originally posted by astroller
    Is it true that digital cameras has a 'mean time before failure' rating like many of those computer components?

Does it mean that once a digital camera has taken a certain number of shots, it will fail after that? Anyone knows typically how many shots? 10,000?
    If it's 10,000, then I will have exceeded it before warranty expires.

I shot 3,500 shots in the first 3 months of getting my 717.

I think with proper handling and care (like dry box) and regular maintenence it can last a long time, (maybe 5-6 years or more)

Even PCs, I have seen some 486 and Pentium 75 still running and working perfectly in office, running Windows 95.

I think the 486 is about 9 to 10 years old (1993 or 1994) and the Pentium 75 at least 7-8 years.

Electronic equipments can last a long time if you use it properly.

all electronics items equipment have a MTBF.

mean time between failure is a statistical figure. it does not mean that once the MTBF is reached, the camera will fail. the camera can fail way before or way after the failure is reached.

failure just means that you need to get it repaired, it is not the end of the life span. probably it will, depending on whether it is worth to get it repaired.

Deregistered

Originally posted by StreetShooter
    The typical lifespan of a digital camera is about 6 months before the fatal urge to upgrade kicks in.
    Haha. Indeed.

Do they need to be stored in dry box? Heard that digicams are air-tight seal, so dry box storage is not necessary....wonder if its true?

air tight? put it in water n see loh hehe.

seriously i doubt so

Originally posted by shuy
    air tight? put it in water n see loh hehe.

seriously i doubt so
    air tight doesn't necessary means water proof mah, just that the lens portion is sealed since unremovable....correct me if I'm wrong...

Originally posted by nosaj
    Do they need to be stored in dry box? Heard that digicams are air-tight seal, so dry box storage is not necessary....wonder if its true?
    More for the lens... if not fungus grow on it

Especially if you don't shoot often and leave it in one corner of your home...

Solution:- Shoot everyday!