Thread: Any good books on photography to recommend?

Default Any good books on photography to recommend?

Any good books on photography to recommend?
    Been to alot of book stores to check out.... but so many titles.... dunno which are good....
    The ones at KInokuniya are sealed up... can't really see inside.... dun really wanna risk buying.....
    Looked through some of books on digital photography but they focus alot of PnS Digicams.... Not really the type I want....
    Wish for a book to discuss more in-depth about lenses, body, how to take pictures in different scenarios etc.....

Anyone can help?

Highly recommend you to try John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide. Great book in my opinion. If you want a more basic book, the National Geographic Photography Field Guide is good too.

go National Library, they got many reference books there.

for starters, Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" is a good read. after that you can branch out into the field of photography you're more interested in.

Me interested in Landscape and Cityscape.....

So long my subject dun have an attitude.... its good for me....

Hi xin!
    I was told to get this book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...I1CVWRNZ3JUGHP

I've placed an order for it. Thought it might be helpful for you too!
    My Photoblog
    Canon 350D,kit lens,Canon 100mm Macro,Coolpix 5000.

Photography for idoits (bk)

Default Re: Any good books on photography to recommend?

Originally posted by xin

...Been to alot of book stores to check out.... but so many titles.... dunno which are good....
    The ones at KInokuniya are sealed up... can't really see inside.... dun really wanna risk buying.....
    Wish for a book to discuss more in-depth about lenses, body, how to take pictures in different scenarios etc.....
    Hi Xin,

At Kino, if you are keen to read the inside of the book, bring it to the counter, and have the sales assistant open for you to browse. After you are done (always, always take your time, dont feel rushed, or intimidated), and you dont want to buy, return to her and say "thank you".

as with buying everything else in life, compare the stuff the different books are writing on. i.e. you want to learn more about lens and bodies, so if you have 3 books that are on film SLR, then compare the chapters where they talk about these items. Each book will deal with differing depth and scope for these items.

However, from what i have seen so far at Kino, you will not get much info on hardware comparison. That is always risky business. If you want to learn about such stuff, online is the best way to go. Perhaps you could try this?

http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/

It is a very good exposition on film SLR, particularly on Canon. Hope this starts you off. PART III is very good for lens knowledge.

Originally posted by Larry
    go National Library, they got many reference books there.

for starters, Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" is a good read. after that you can branch out into the field of photography you're more interested in.
    I would second this book! A very easy read and a comprehensive book on exposure basics and the intricates that you'd need to take note of... Not much on lens and bodies; just basic techniques.

You may like to consider "Learning to see Creatively" by the same author also.

Another two books that I would highly recommend to other's are

The Complete Guide to Night and Low-Light Photography by Lee Frost ISBN 0817450416

The Photographer's Guide to Filters by Lee Frost ISBN 0715314009