Thread: Is Ebay safe?

Default Is Ebay safe?

Anyone got experience buying via Ebay?
    Is it safe and reliable?
    But I was wondering with their bidding system, there are many items which end bidding/or are near the end of bidding, with rather low prices... so will the sellers realli let go at tt price assuming they have no reserve price?

Default Re: Is Ebay safe?

Originally posted by weg
    Anyone got experience buying via Ebay?
    Is it safe and reliable?
    But I was wondering with their bidding system, there are many items which end bidding/or are near the end of bidding, with rather low prices... so will the sellers realli let go at tt price assuming they have no reserve price?
    nothing is safe when buying used item especially u dont get to see the item.

If there is "No resev" on the item , the seller have to sell it at the end of bidding at which ever highest bid price .

Some item are too good to be turth so becareful. i enjoy buyin there

Compared to Yahoo! Auctions, eBay is much safer. The better bets will be those sellers who have been pretty active in the past and present, and have an outstanding record of satisfied buyers. Sellers with low ratings, auctions with no guarantees of the condition of the item, auctions with little description, auctions with no photos of the actual item, inactive sellers, sellers who do not reply to your questions etc etc are those whom you should be careful of.

Unlike Yahoo! Auctions, sellers have some kind of record with eBay i.e. credit card details. Whenever a seller lists something on eBay, he/she is liable to pay eBay a listing fee, and if the item is sold, an additional fee based on the selling price. As such, there is an element of seriousness on the seller's part.

Items without a reserve price are sold to the highest bidder at the end of the auction, even if the item is bidded at a dirt cheap price. Sellers can only withdraw their items if the reserve price is not reached.
    Last edited by Parchiao; 4th July 2003 at 04:37 PM.

In addition, to have a reserve price or buy now price, seller needs to pay additional fee ... again ...

Originally posted by Parchiao

Unlike Yahoo! Auctions, sellers have some kind of record with eBay i.e. credit card details. Whenever a seller lists something on eBay, he/she is liable to pay eBay a listing fee, and if the item is sold, an additional fee based on the selling price. As such, there is an element of seriousness on the seller's part.

Yahoo Auctions also required sellers to give credit cards records one ...

Many of my friends actually prefer Yahoo Auctions simply because Yahoo dun charge a transaction fees ... well ... maybe my friends and I are too stingy to let them charges fees bah ... ~~

As always, Emptor Caveat.

A very very very good read of an example how a ripoff (or potential ripoff) can occur on eBay.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/37885/0

Originally posted by Parchiao
    A very very very good read of an example how a ripoff (or potential ripoff) can occur on eBay.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/37885/0
    woah... poor guys....

I for one have never had a dud purchase or been ripped off on eBay and that's in a couple of hundred purchases

I follow a simple set of proceedures when buying from any online auction .. these are:

1) Research and know the word prices of the goods you are buying.

2) Never buy from new members or if the deal is 'too good to be true' this is especially the case with camera bodies, computer and other expensive items.

3) Scrutinise the sellers feedback. Spend time looking over their past sales, noting what items they have sold, and where they were shipped to. I won't ever purchase anything worth more than 50 bucks from a 0 feedback person.

4) Always ask a question before the auction ends. I do this to ensure the user is at least using a genuine email address, rather than a free (hotmail, yahoo etc) email address. For big ticket items I contact several people who have had prior dealings with the seller to find out how their purchases went.

5) I always trust my instincts, If I feel the slightest doubt about an item I won't bid.

General advice

The key is to research and know exactly how much you are willing to pay, learn the shipping costs and any duty or taxes you may be liable for.

Never bid if you don't feel 100% comfortable and never get in to a bidding frenzy, the same item usually shows up in a few days to weeks.

Spend as much time as you can reading eBay listings, the dodgy ones copy is often (but not always) lifted from the manufacturers website verbatim........

Finally consult with friends who are more experienced in online auctions than you are. For example there's a small group of friends whom I share links with on potential auctions, this is a mutual 'what do you think of this?' sort of affair that plays to the old saying that many heads are wiser than one.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

well Ian, I followed 1-4 of your list there. I bid on a US$1200+ laptop on ebay with a fellow seller that had 450+ transaction feedback with a rathing of 99%+ positive.

And I got ripped off.... along with a few thousand buyers, it's the biggest scam on Ebay thus far. I have to hand it to the con artist though, he really did a good job. The guy has been arrested, but the money is no where to be found.

But in general, if you follow the above poster's advice, you'll do ok. All my other 8 purchases went well.

http://liquidationscam.org/