Thread: Large aperture in bright daylight /w flash

Default Large aperture in bright daylight /w flash

While experimenting with using flash outdoors in daylight, I came across this problem... With flash the highest shutter speed I can go is 250, which means that even at ISO100 I will not be able to use my lens wide open or even 2-3 stops down. This is a bummer when I want a shallow DOF.

Is using a ND filter the only way? Is IQ affected usually? What about using 2 x polarizers?
    Sony NEX 6 16-50 35/1.8 55-210 /w Metabones Speed Booster + EF35L EF135L
    Capturing the Moment

Default Re: Large aperture in bright daylight /w flash

Doesn't matter what one uses as long as it cuts the amount of light going through the lens. With or without distortions is a different issue.

Oh... I was thinking 2 x polarizers cos will allow me to change the amount of light by twisting them... Can save on buying the various ND filters... But then again 2 pieces of dual piece glass which costs more than double that of one ND filter... maybe buy ND filter still better choice lol
    Sony NEX 6 16-50 35/1.8 55-210 /w Metabones Speed Booster + EF35L EF135L
    Capturing the Moment

Quote Originally Posted by justanut View Post
    While experimenting with using flash outdoors in daylight, I came across this problem... With flash the highest shutter speed I can go is 250, which means that even at ISO100 I will not be able to use my lens wide open or even 2-3 stops down. This is a bummer when I want a shallow DOF.

Is using a ND filter the only way? Is IQ affected usually? What about using 2 x polarizers?
    your 580ex flash should be able to give you high speed flash > 1/250. check your manual.

Yes, use high speed sync flash
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

As I know, 580EX has a "hight speed" mode, which allow you to should with flash focal plane syncronize, therefore, you are not restricted below the flash syncrozine speed anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Zohan View Post
    your 580ex flash should be able to give you high speed flash > 1/250. check your manual.
    in HSS, depends on camera body also, maybe can even achieve 1/8000...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    in HSS, depends on camera body also, maybe can even achieve 1/8000...
    Only Nikon can. TS uses Canon - effectively, the highest he can hope for is 1/320 even tho manuals state 1/250.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Only Nikon can. TS uses Canon - effectively, the highest he can hope for is 1/320 even tho manuals state 1/250.
    But HSS can! Can't it?

Hawt peeeenk
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com