Thread: AF assist and external flash qns

Default AF assist and external flash qns

hi everyone,

would appreciate some help.

i own oly e500. the AF assist shoots out flashes of bright light from the built in flash whcih is quite glaring and distrubing if i use it to shoot people. is it the same for other oly models? or which other cameras uses this for AF?

would also like to know if any external flashes by olympus uses infrared beam for AF assist. or any other compatible 3rd party flash.

thank you so much

Default Re: AF assist and external flash qns

Quote Originally Posted by moimoi View Post
    hi everyone,

would appreciate some help.

i own oly e500. the AF assist shoots out flashes of bright light from the built in flash whcih is quite glaring and distrubing if i use it to shoot people. is it the same for other oly models? or which other cameras uses this for AF?

would also like to know if any external flashes by olympus uses infrared beam for AF assist. or any other compatible 3rd party flash.

thank you so much
    Basically,all models except E-1 does that,You can use the Olympus flashes FL36/R and FL50/R to use the red light for auto focus
    A wise man said, "Any available light is good light"

Yeh it's rude to point it at someone's face with the beam. I either point it somewhere or use a small torch to assist my focus anyways. But if it needs AF I'll use full manual focus+settings anyway.
    Last edited by dennisc; 25th June 2008 at 12:29 PM.

Possible to turn that off in the menu??

I know my camera supports that. But mebbe you can check your manual to see if you can switch it off.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

hi thanks for the reply.

yar it can be turned off. just that i need it sometimes. manual focus is a bit difficult cos the viewfinder is quite small.

am also thinking of using a small torch actually.

another qn. any 3rd party flash compatible with oly cameras that have the IR AF beam? with a good auto sensor for the falsh intensity