1. Nikon
    2. also Nikon
    3. got to be Nikon
    4. definitely Nikon
    5. Have i mentioned Nikon yet?
    6. well, definitely have to be Nikon
    7. Nikonos
    8. All the rest.

I don't like Nikon ..... or rather my wallet don't like Nikon, Nikon make my wallet alot thinner ..... whahahahahahaha

Minolta is more expensive in a certain way. The price of their G lens is almost similar to Canons L but without USM and IS!

But having said that i'm still a Minolta guy!

I like their optics. Among the finest as stated by independent test reviews in magazines and websites. I can vouch for it personally as well. Also the feel of all their cameras esp the 7 is incredible. Many who have held a minolta camera will vouch that it feels absolutely great. Haven't tried? Go down to CP and try it. Its a mind boggling sensational experience!

Of course those are not THE reasons you look for when you buy a cam la.

i would Prefer FUJI .. see the number of ppl using S602z...

Originally posted by tweakmax2
    i would Prefer FUJI .. see the number of ppl using S602z...
    How about looking at the number of people owning a 10D?

Btw, was your avatar taken by your Fuji? If yes, hehehh.... Fuji should not even come into the list. If no... hrm... stick to your Fuji then.
    Last edited by togu; 5th July 2003 at 11:13 AM.

Polaris
    Guests

Originally posted by KingKongChar
    Let me clarify these points:

1st, this is NOT a poll.

2nd, this is NOT a flame bait. Of course I can stop people from bickering because of the ranking.

3rd, I just want to find out the actual market share of various camera manufacturers and sad to those who maybe offended statistic is hard fact.

If you find this boliao, then sorry. Just want to see anyone got the statistics of the market share onlu.
    In the first place, you did not mention market share in your original post. You only said top five ranking but did not specify in which area. Whether or not you posted this as a poll does not make any difference. The topic is controversial and will obviously tempt a heated debate.

Which market are you interested in? Singapore, Asia, US, world wide, or just among members of ClubSNAP? Statistics as published by various market research companies is rarely a hard fact.

There are many companies that conduct consumer market surveys and they sell their reports for $1000 to $4000. Do a search in google for "camera market share" and then pick a company to buy the report from.

If you only want to know the market share amongst ClubSNAP members you can search the individual subforums to get a rough idea.

Originally posted by togu

Btw, was your avatar taken by your Fuji? If yes, hehehh.... Fuji should not even come into the list. If no... hrm... stick to your Fuji then.
    R U TRYING TO SAY ANITINS ABT MY GF??

It's seems that knowing the market share is pretty pricy for companies.

http://www.consumer-marketresearch.com/R104-11772.html

A copy of the U.S Digital Camera Market Share Review for 4th Quarter 2002 is on sale for US$3500!!!

(And it's only U.S not the entire world)

Makes me wonder how many took part in the survey and how accurate is this review to pay US$3500 for.

Default Re: Ranking of camera brands

Originally posted by KingKongChar
    Just want to find out the top 5 ranking of these popular cameras.

1st and 2nd spot is either Nikon and Canon, needless to say lah.

So from 3rd place onward, I dun know.

It is :

Olympus
    Minolta
    Fuji
    Contax
    Sony

or who have the statistics can share?
    How do you know Nikon and Canon are at the two top places? There are so many more digi cameras being sold maybe in Singapore that their numbers will dwindle the SLR numbers, these people are the ones who support the economy and don't probably come to Clubsnap.....you know I am talking about the main consumers.

Hong Sien

Originally posted by togu

and now who's the one not opening his eyes?

10D only has 46 ppl where s602z has 66 ppl...

Originally posted by blurblock
    Minotla expensive as compared to Canon and Nikon

Now that is news .... whahahahahahaha......
    i was referring to the list by westray, wif minolta n contax at the bottom of the list, wif no canon or nikon.

In pure terms of numbers sold worldwide I'd hazard an educated guess that either Pentax, Ricoh or Polaroid, Kodak or Fuji disposables etc may well top the sales charts as those are extremely popular brands with the P&S crowd. It should be remembered that digital and SLR systems only account for 10-15% of the total number of cameras sold.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Originally posted by Darren
    My ranking:-

1. Nikon
    2. also Nikon
    3. got to be Nikon
    4. definitely Nikon
    5. Have i mentioned Nikon yet?
    6. well, definitely have to be Nikon
    7. Nikonos
    8. All the rest.

sorry Darren but #8 on that list is wrong.....

it should be

8. See number 1

on a more serious note, my observation, based on consumer-level digital cameras, brand image and quality image, my selection:

1. Canon
    2. Nikon
    3. Olympus
    4. Fuji

just my dua sens worth

Originally posted by tokrot

10D only has 46 ppl where s602z has 66 ppl...
    If u really go abt checking who has sold their 602z to go to 10D and considering 10D is almost 3 times the price of 602z wld u consider 1 10D to be 3 602z(s)?

From what i have read in my earlier days in fim SLR photography, Canon/Nikon are the first two, with Minolta a firm third, then Pentax, then the rest. This is what i vaguely remember reading. If i can dig up some relevent links, i will post them. We're just talking about (SLR?) market share here.

Minolta's bodies beat Canon and Nikon hands down though. Maybe that's why they are third. They don't boast the same weather-sealing as Canon/Nikon, but seriously, they provide some amazing features, even in their lower end bodies. Like spot metering and flash master-slave w/o external accesories, among some others.

On clubsnap forums, Canon has about 15k posts, with Nikon at about 9k, and Olympus third at 7.5k. If this thread carries on in the same 'i like <this brand>' vein, not difficult to see who will 'win'.

Originally posted by Revo
    If u really go abt checking who has sold their 602z to go to 10D and considering 10D is almost 3 times the price of 602z wld u consider 1 10D to be 3 602z(s)?
    Hoho, that's why I don't even bother to reply.

I seriously don't think we can compare brands like this. There are far too many variables (focussing speed, build quality, optics quality etc ) in play here and each group of variables is preferable under different conditions (nature, close ups, photojournalism, street, sports etc) and each brand seem to champion some group of variables. I think Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Pentax are worth considering.

I am using Nikon, and I have no complaints, my F4 gives me plenty to use, and would not want to get an F5 or an F100. My next consideration would probably be D100 or 10D? Different manufacturers but who cares, the camera is a tool, right? The tool that suits me, I use.

1. Hasselblad
    2. Mamiya
    3. Leica
    4. Bronica
    5. Fuji

Originally posted by Revo
    of coz NOT! Canon pricing is ridiculously high!! so u mean If I upgrade my bicycle to a Car and since a car is 100 times more expensive, so go by your logic you mean there should be 100 persons owning cars whereas it is just me who upgrade?

Hoho, that's why I don't even bother to reply.
    Of coz u dun, u will be next laughing stock!

Originally posted by rapidmax
    I seriously don't think we can compare brands like this. There are far too many variables (focussing speed, build quality, optics quality etc ) in play here and each group of variables is preferable under different conditions (nature, close ups, photojournalism, street, sports etc) and each brand seem to champion some group of variables. I think Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Pentax are worth considering.
    Some folks don't believe in statistics, but i do, to a certain extent. Knowing the market share is helpful to me in a few ways. Some companies have better lenses, some have better bodies, some focus on looks, or service, or whatever. The market share is like a reality vote: we, as consumers, vote with our wallets. You can argue till you drop about the wonders of your LOMO/KIEV, but i think the market does speak for itself.

Also, if i invest into a company with strong market share, i feel more secure knowing they'll be around for a while, they have money for R&D, they have the ability to stay competitive, etc.

Before the digital age, some companies were famous for their optics: Canon, Nikon, Contax, Hassy, Leica, Pentax, etc. Their names were synonymous with cameras. You didn't find SLRs or rangefinders from Casio, Sony, HP, Toshiba, Panasonic and the like. i'm not saying their optics are inferior, but i would still prefer to buy from a camera-brand with a borrowed digital sensor than a non-camera brand with a borrowed lens. i think folks who have been in the camera line for a while still know how to make better cameras. That's just me, of course.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12