Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the kiss at pier 3

Default Re: the kiss at pier 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    came across this thread as i saw the highest view count. and thought this is a great work. there is probably little for me to critique since i can do no better or near this. great moment, stuitable slant, superb lighting, sufficient space and composition and good lines...

and since everyone is sharing their post processing and vision. here's mine. since the bulk of the exposure are bright, i did not attempt to increase the black areas to increase exposure, instead i make them lighter and more uniform and let the couple stand out by having them in darker midtone but not in shadows. i did two versions, one with the red color shirt denser and stand out, one with the red color shirt fade off with the glare but sufficiently red. i think maybe need safari browser (got color management) to accurately see the colors (esp red).

although i like the composition and the pattern of the ground are great, i crop the bottom a little to give a more panaromic aspect ratio.

denser red, i thought the darker subject stands out against its flared background.

fader red, probably blends in better, although it stands out less.

all in all, i won't say this processing is supposed to be better or an improvement, just my vision of what i like. Patryk, u must be a seasoned photographer. i hope to see u post a travel thread in travel and landscape, either on new york or other places u go.
    hi zoossh,

thanks for your comments, i'm quite humbled by your kind words..

as for your processing, i really like how it makes the couple just 'pop' out from the fore and background - great use of selective blurring.

just to explain my own PP, it seems that you and some others would like to make the couple stand out more. but i find, on the contrary, that having them blend in to the environment would convey better my vision of this being a more 'private' moment. this probably goes against the textbook formula of having the subject(s) stand out more, but i find that they are already amply lit to stand out just enough with the surroundings to compliment the entire image.
    if my camera is there at the right moment, click, all I have to do is accept it.
    -edouard boubat

Quote Originally Posted by Patryk View Post
    hi zoossh,

thanks for your comments, i'm quite humbled by your kind words..

as for your processing, i really like how it makes the couple just 'pop' out from the fore and background - great use of selective blurring.

just to explain my own PP, it seems that you and some others would like to make the couple stand out more. but i find, on the contrary, that having them blend in to the environment would convey better my vision of this being a more 'private' moment. this probably goes against the textbook formula of having the subject(s) stand out more, but i find that they are already amply lit to stand out just enough with the surroundings to compliment the entire image.
    yeh, it is al'rite. there is no one composition and no one exposure. sometimes one who like black shirt, like white shirt just as much, or maybe a lime green for a change of style.

as for the more private moment, then perhaps the high contrast or a cross processed mood may not work as good as a true good silhouette which will require the composition to be more clean. but if you got it, say from an angle (lower one too) that steers clear of other structures, you got great rimming and even better if got light breaking between a tiny crevice between them.... but of cos that is talking about perfect situation beyond our control.

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    yeh, it is al'rite. there is no one composition and no one exposure. sometimes one who like black shirt, like white shirt just as much, or maybe a lime green for a change of style.

as for the more private moment, then perhaps the high contrast or a cross processed mood may not work as good as a true good silhouette which will require the composition to be more clean. but if you got it, say from an angle (lower one too) that steers clear of other structures, you got great rimming and even better if got light breaking between a tiny crevice between them.... but of cos that is talking about perfect situation beyond our control.
    thanks for the input, well as you said yourself, getting all those elements is really difficult, but will keep it in mind next time i'm out shooting..
    if my camera is there at the right moment, click, all I have to do is accept it.
    -edouard boubat

The first photo is already great and tells the whole story.

Don't think there's a need for all the other versions.

Dig the original the most. I think we have a similar aesthetic sense.

For a scene like that, the loose crop gives the shot context and a real sense of space.
    For me, it imparts a sense of being there and standing there.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

I was in NYC recently too, wasn't quite as blessed with a moment as heavenly as this

Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    Dig the original the most. I think we have a similar aesthetic sense.

For a scene like that, the loose crop gives the shot context and a real sense of space.
    For me, it imparts a sense of being there and standing there.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

I was in NYC recently too, wasn't quite as blessed with a moment as heavenly as this
    hi kandinsky, glad that someone shares the same thoughts for how the image should look like..

and yes, was blessed and lucky to have this scene presented to me.. just so happens to be my last day there when i took this..
    -edouard boubat

Hey Patryk,

The original is great on its own. You should have shared the pic with the couple and mailed it to them. I would definitely like to have a moment captured like that!

Quote Originally Posted by wainism View Post
    Hey Patryk,

The original is great on its own. You should have shared the pic with the couple and mailed it to them. I would definitely like to have a moment captured like that!
    lol, i was already pretty afraid that the couple would be pissed with me nosing in with my camera if they found out - what more if i actually buntly tell them that i took the shot... it would have been great sharing it with them, but kinda risky if they didn't like their privacy being invaded

thanks for your compliments though =)
    -edouard boubat

Quote Originally Posted by wainism View Post
    Hey Patryk,

u would'n't get the address at that point of time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12