Thread: Posting people's shot for crit?!

Default Posting people's shot for crit?!

So someone posted my pics up for crit in another forum, without telling me, without saying its mine. When I asked him, he still since alot of ppl liked it and not as if he's going to get a prize for a good photo. And that he was promoting my shot, and "not as if I'm stealing it".

I won't give anymore details. First time I encountered such a unique thing. Comments?
    Last edited by redstone; 24th June 2008 at 01:21 AM.

Default Re: Posting people's shot for crit?!

If i were you, i will be very mad and tell him off in that other forum.

can show the link?
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

Quote Originally Posted by eow View Post
    can show the link?
    The link had, thankfully been deleted by mods. It's not in CS

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    The link had, thankfully been deleted by mods. It's not in CS
    That's good. Did you confront him on rights of usage and such? Was it established in wherever you posted the photo on?

Maybe you can use incorporate you name or ID into your Photos
    like some of the people is doing or even use a watermark.
    In this way people can't claim the photos as their own
    Downside is that it may degrade the photos somehow.
    Futhermore if someone use your photos to earn money, you can sue them as more likely they won't be able to provide evidence that the photos are taken by them.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    That's good. Did you confront him on rights of usage and such? Was it established in wherever you posted the photo on?
    Yes I did but he brushed it off saying he's not stealing and "not as if I'll sue him". Didn't bother to debate with him more.

I can very well show him the link to the Statutes online. And he's not a youngster.

Blog Entries

shame him in the other forum
    and here as well

I would like him to know, if he is reading this, that it's no small matter doing something like this. If you didn't know, now you do.

A lawsuit can be filed against you. Not only by companies, but civil suits by individuals as well. It is a legal offence, an infringement of copyright. A work is automatically copyrighted to the author (unless working under a contract with says otherwise).

It's not a matter of whether one makes money or gains reward from it. It's a matter of ethics.

I would like him to know, if he is reading this, that it's no small matter doing something like this. If you didn't know, now you do.

A lawsuit can be filed against you. Not only by companies, but civil suits by individuals as well. It is a legal offence, an infringement of copyright. A work is automatically copyrighted to the author (unless working under a contract with says otherwise).

It's not a matter of whether one makes money or gains reward from it. It's a matter of ethics.
    hi redstone
    just to share my experience, I've had my work posted up on over 20 sites without my permission
    almost all have been kind enough to link back to me, and I've learnt to take this as a form of compliment, which might be a good way to approach things (if it doesn't hurt you financially, public sharing of your work is a good word of mouth)

I believe in asking before posting someone's work of course this is never going to always be the case.

I've learnt that if I don't want something spread I don't put it online for viewing (or at least embed the file in some way that can't be easily ripped off the web)
    Ultimately like MP3s we can be legal about things as copyright owners but the general trend of the internet age is the free flow of information.

If it's a big no-no for you you'll have to request for the images to be taken down. Unfortunately that's the way things work, even companies do such things, not just individuals. Poor us

I think we must spread and educate others that doing so is actually infringement of copyright.

I think we must spread and educate others that doing so is actually infringement of copyright.
    as long as he is not making money off your work and you aren't losing income because of his actions there is no act of copyright infringment. There is such a thing as fair use. Which sounds exactly like what his happening here even though his subsequent reaction to your demands were prob meant to annoy you considering that you're kicking up a big fuss over something that happens all the time. It's unforunate you kanna this but you have no case. Just make sure people know its your work and not his and let it you. After all this is a clear cut case of a breach of ethics. Right now you can go to any lawyer screaming copyright infringment you'll prob get told no case or even laughed out of the office.
    Last edited by TheQuestion; 25th June 2008 at 06:22 PM.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    as long as he is not making money off your work and you aren't losing income because of his actions there is no act of copyright infringment. There is such a thing as fair use. Which sounds exactly like what his happening here even though his subsequent reaction to your demands were prob meant to annoy you considering that you're kicking up a big fuss over something that happens all the time. It's unforunate you kanna this but you have no case. Just make sure people know its your work and not his and let it you. After all this is a clear cut case of a breach of ethics. Right now you can go to any lawyer screaming copyright infringment you'll prob get told no case or even laughed out of the office.
    Recall the case a few years ago on CS. This user by the name of "roti prata" put people's shots in his gallery, and got flamed by everyone. It is copyright infringement even if no money is made/lost.

Blog Entries

did he pretend that he took the photo?

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    did he pretend that he took the photo?
    No.

He didn't say he took it, he didn't say its mine, he didn't link it back to me, he didn't say anything. That's why i'm asking for everyone's view on this.

Recall the case a few years ago on CS. This user by the name of "roti prata" put people's shots in his gallery, and got flamed by everyone. It is copyright infringement even if no money is made/lost.
    He stole the photos and claimed them as his own and used them to promote himself. Vastly different from what has happened to you.

Its not copyright infringement, its fair usage. If you disagree, get a lawyer, stop complaining on a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    He stole the photos and claimed them as his own and used them to promote himself. Vastly different from what has happened to you.

Its not copyright infringement, its fair usage. If you disagree, get a lawyer, stop complaining on a forum.
    WS is right back then the people had a case coz the thief claimed it was his work. Your case he never made that mistake. Copyright law is very tricky to enforce and unless you can prove what i said earlier you're boned. And remember even when you can prove that you lost income or he made money off you you still have to prove that it IS the accused who stole the image and posted them. Burden of proof is on you not the accused. So as WS said you disagree with whatever's been said to you go engage a lawyer and sue the person who you think stole you work.

Here's the Copyright Law of Singapore.

It's very important to state the purpose and intention of duplicating someone else work. It's even more important to credit it back to the creator.

Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    Here's the Copyright Law of Singapore.

It's very important to state the purpose and intention of duplicating someone else work. It's even more important to credit it back to the creator.
    then let ts go sue the fellow and set the precedent esp considering the fellow might not even be within the jurisdiction. Well and easy to bring up the statutes. but can you make the case in court? If that was the case then Odex will be very rich right now.
    Last edited by TheQuestion; 25th June 2008 at 08:12 PM.

Taken from something similar I saw someone do here before.....

Create an action on ps that has your signature and applies it across the middle of your photo....

But the pixels that it covers are 2/3 brightness of the original pixels.

Not easily seen unless looked for but hard to remove if known to be there !

Just a thought if you need proof that it is yours
    Time, is an effortless construction :)