Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Any forum on videography?

Originally posted by viix
    You mean Asustek? Anyway, if u need specs, me and Wai can give u information on the specs of the PC to built.

dun worry, me and Wai are regular hardwarezoner (saw his nick in that forums) and avid computer builders! SLS is literally my second home LOL!

To be safe, I can give u a list to follow and the estimated price costs so if ur uncle should source for them in SLS for the best price ya!
    That'll be great!!! Really need advice on what to buy for a good system..
    Asustek? Should be...

I was quoted $820 by my friend's friend for the following combo:

- Pentium 4 2.4C
    - 64mb GEForce Graphic Card
    - 2 x 256mb DDr Ram
    - dunno what sound card

I'm using back my 40GB HDD and Iomega 40X CDwriter.

Is that cheap?

Originally posted by S40
    I was quoted $820 by my friend's friend for the following combo:

- Pentium 4 2.4C
    - 64mb GEForce Graphic Card
    - 2 x 256mb DDr Ram
    - dunno what sound card

I'm using back my 40GB HDD and Iomega 40X CDwriter.

Is that cheap?
    I can't tell whether it's cheap as he didn't specify what 64mb Geforce 4 graphic card it is. Some has TV out, some has DVI, some dual monitor support so he must specify. Geforce 4 has many versions ranging from $100 - $400 so I can't really say.

Same for the ram. They have many version too.

But since it's $800, it's probably a low end specification.

Originally posted by Wai
    where selling so cheap? last mth price is it??

if $103 for 2 x DDR400, I will buy half a dozen

now the price should be $150-160 each
    Me, I'm juz a regular low profile HWZer.. saw ur nick there so I juz quote it LOL

I downloaded bell's pricelist one.. probably outdated liao lol

Wai & Viix,

Thanks for the load of info. Think I should not be buying bundle from SLS after hearing the type of staff attitude, cheating out on a 5400rpm instead of a 7200rpm h/d and in-house warranty instead of distributor's warranty.

What I have in mind is a P4, 2.6Ghz HT m/bd, 256meg of ram, 2x40G h/d (one for my digital photos and video editing), 64meg GeForce4, AGP (for my son's games), SB Live compatible audio card. or if possible a compatible SB audio card with 5.1 o/p. M/bd should have 4 USB 2.0 ports with 2 x firewire ports.

What would you guys estimate such a system would cost at the current market rate?

Thanks

Originally posted by teerex
    Wai & Viix,

Thanks for the load of info. Think I should not be buying bundle from SLS after hearing the type of staff attitude, cheating out on a 5400rpm instead of a 7200rpm h/d and in-house warranty instead of distributor's warranty.

What I have in mind is a P4, 2.6Ghz HT m/bd, 256meg of ram, 2x40G h/d (one for my digital photos and video editing), 64meg GeForce4, AGP (for my son's games), SB Live compatible audio card. or if possible a compatible SB audio card with 5.1 o/p. M/bd should have 4 USB 2.0 ports with 2 x firewire ports.

What would you guys estimate such a system would cost at the current market rate?

Thanks
    around 1.7K +/- $200-$300 maybe.
    Most M/B have 4 USB ports nowadays. For the p4 with 800Mhz, the asus p4C800 would have the firewire inbulit with onboard 6channel sound which means no need to get the soundblaster card which is only 5.1.

Make the ram 2 sticks of 256mb (not 1 stick of 512) as it's the best for running at dual channel with HyperThreading. i stick of 256mb running winXp or win 2000 is a little laggy and slow on single channel .

Get a 2.4C with the ASUS p4c800 at ($662)
    as $80 for a 0.2Ghz increase isn't much of an improvement.
    + Ram (kingston ddr400 256mb x2 sticks = 2x$103)
    HDD make it 40G (system drive) and 80G (for video) since it's quite cheap and trust me, 40Gig fills up very fast with lots of video and photo shooting (ard $112 + $149 respectively - western digital hard disk drives which has 3yrs warrenty)

Inno 3d Geforece 4 FX5600 8X 256mb with TV out and DVI ($292)
    Throw in a TDK CDWriter and it adds up to $1520 minus the keyboard, mouse, speakers and monitor + casing.

*P/S based on BELL SYSTEMS pricelist at SLS. Reliable shop

You can also get from SuperPet at the 6th floor but price is alittle steeper but they can fix up the PC for u too! And did I mention they are friendly and have very good service!!

Originally posted by viix
    I can't tell whether it's cheap as he didn't specify what 64mb Geforce 4 graphic card it is. Some has TV out, some has DVI, some dual monitor support so he must specify. Geforce 4 has many versions ranging from $100 - $400 so I can't really say.

Same for the ram. They have many version too.

But since it's $800, it's probably a low end specification.
    I've got the specs from him 2day:

- Intel Pentium4 2.4C FSB 800Mhz
    - 256MB DDR 400Mhz X 2Pcs(kingston)
    - Intel 865PERL Mainboard
    - Geforce 4 FX5200 128MB DDR
    - 1.44MB FDD
    - Casing 400W Psu

The price is $950.

Is that a good buy?
    Getting more and more ex....

Once u see the difference in a 1CCD and a 3CCD cam, u probably won't want to go back.

Unless u're not on a mission critical assignment there's really no need to get a special video capture card that costs u $500 - $800. Just get a good enuf base system; P4 or Athlon XP system with lots of RAM and a FW card. The FW card is all u need, even the PD150s and XL1s hav FW input/outputs.

Unless u need pro sound, the VX2000 is gd enuf. Its the same specs except the PD150 got a better microphone and allows u to plug in 2 seperate mic if u need a extra sound recordist.

I was just reading the other day I think Panasonic has a prosumer HD cam on the market.

Originally posted by S40
    I've got the specs from him 2day:

- Intel Pentium4 2.4C FSB 800Mhz
    - 256MB DDR 400Mhz X 2Pcs(kingston)
    - Intel 865PERL Mainboard
    - Geforce 4 FX5200 128MB DDR
    - 1.44MB FDD
    - Casing 400W Psu
    The price is $950.

Is that a good buy?
    Getting more and more ex....
    $950 can get u a good casing, PSU and Geforce 4 FX5200
    so I guess it is quite reasonable. But I noted that this intel board has no FIRWIRE.
    Why not change another motherboard with firewire? I've notice that intel board tend to run slower than non intel boards like asus or abit.

Be sure to get a good PSU and a casing with good ventilation also. A Good PSU is a must as the p4 are power hungry! (Go for good brands like black cube, HEC, enermax and dun settle for anything else. I have had lousy el cheapo PSU burnt my motherboard before so trust me on this!!)

Ventilation is a must since these p4 can run hot! A good casing would be HEC 6A6U. (or ICUTE, Coolermaster(expensive but nice) and antec)

Well, these are the few important points to note if u want the PC to run trouble free for years!
    As of today, my PC has been running 24x7 for 2 years straight!!

Motherboard with firewire? Gosh.....gotta ask him for another quotation again....and more money again....

Thanks Wai & Viix for all the advice and reccommendations.

I was quoted $750 by another guys for the following spec:
    PC2100 266Mhz 512Mb DDR RAM
    PSU sould be 350W
    Motherboard ECS brand w/o firewire

Originally posted by S40
    I was quoted $750 by another guys for the following spec:
    PC2100 266Mhz 512Mb DDR RAM
    PSU sould be 350W
    Motherboard ECS brand w/o firewire
    The ECS boards are slower and running pc2100 rams ain't helping. Stick with the $950 one which has dual channel rams.
    Well, actually it boils down to budget..
    Do you know how to install/format a computer? If u noe, it actually isn't that hard to fix a computer up yourself!! Serious! I only took like 20mins to learn!! Sourcing the parts urself would cut down the budget as u get to pick the specs u need urself. Ask someone who knows computers (and SLS shops well) to get the parts with you. or better if u get everything from a shop and they fix it up for free! U'll juz have to go back and install the OS urself!

I'm too lazy to source for the parts myself. Furthermore, as prices for assembling pcs are very competitive, doubt they are making a lot from my sales.

Maybe I'll stick to dat....

Thanks

I've finally got my new system!!!!!!

After 2 days of troubleshooting, I'm finally able to log on to the net again!!!!

Thanks to Viix and Wai for their advices, I've got a pretty impressive system now.

Wai, I've got the D865PERL board that you've advice me to go for, + 2 256mb DDR SDRAM 400mhz.

So far has not really experience the speed of the system. Sometimes I find that the system is a bit retarded... e.g I click on the Ethernet connection and nothing is displayed. Clisked on a few times also the same. But after a while, all the clicks showed up.

BTW, anyone knows where to download the Java virtual machine? Installed the Windows XP Pro, while surfing the net, was prompted to download the VM. Was directed to Windows website, but no download was found.

Originally posted by S40
    I've finally got my new system!!!!!!

After 2 days of troubleshooting, I'm finally able to log on to the net again!!!!

Thanks to Viix and Wai for their advices, I've got a pretty impressive system now.

Wai, I've got the D865PERL board that you've advice me to go for, + 2 256mb DDR SDRAM 400mhz.

So far has not really experience the speed of the system. Sometimes I find that the system is a bit retarded... e.g I click on the Ethernet connection and nothing is displayed. Clisked on a few times also the same. But after a while, all the clicks showed up.

BTW, anyone knows where to download the Java virtual machine? Installed the Windows XP Pro, while surfing the net, was prompted to download the VM. Was directed to Windows website, but no download was found.
    Hey! Good for you!
    Yes, p4 can be a little not as reponsive when compared with an AMD system, but do try the HT functions when u do video and awe at the amazing speed man!

Java VM is no longer free by M$, u can get it from Sun's website
    http://www.java.com/en/index.jsp
    try Sun's website?

Tried searching thru the net, and finally realsie that VM was not offered by Microsoft anymore, after a settlement between them and Sun's. But managed to source for a download page at Java's.

Hmm....issit me or my system's fault? The retarding is quite frequent...sometimes it's just like hanging.
    Anyone experience that before?
    Last edited by S40; 17th July 2003 at 11:15 PM.

Originally posted by lokety
    I just came back from trying out the Panasonic and Sony cameras.

I tried the Panasonic NV-GS and NV-DS series and find that they are comparable to the Sony TRVs. The amount of hardware controls are more, the tape loads at the top instead of the bottom, the resolution starts from 800K, and the GS30 is such satisfaction to hold! Does anyone have any opinion regarding these two brands and which one is better for a budget of S$1300? Would Sony be a better choice because of better battery design, lens/picture quality, or other features?

Another thing I'm thinking hard about is the promotional price of the DS series. They have the LED light feature which the GS series do not have, but are priced less than S$1000 currently. Is this price difference because the GS50 has a remote control?

Thanks for any help.
    I went down AP last friday to get TRV-33 but was told out of stock and new stock may not come so soon due to some problem with TRV-33. Quite disappointed.
    I turned to try TRV-60. Quite like it feature but size is a bit big for my wife and the price quoted was quite Ex compare to another quote I got.

In the end, the salesman of AP recommended Panasonic GX7. He said Leica len is better than Car Zeiss. Don't know true or not but I know Leica produces very good lens. Tried and think its zoom is much smoother than Sony as Sony tends to jump.

Guess what... in the end I got a Panasonic.

But somehow quite disappointed that they are not willing to give a single cent of discount though they did give me a mini DV tape

Originally posted by S40
    Tried searching thru the net, and finally realsie that VM was not offered by Microsoft anymore, after a settlement between them and Sun's. But managed to source for a download page at Java's.

Hmm....issit me or my system's fault? The retarding is quite frequent...sometimes it's just like hanging.
    Anyone experience that before?
    Is your harddisk's light keep blinking or lighted up during the hang? If yes, it may be due to some applications(e.g Antivirus) running.

Try turn on the Task manager to see what application/process is utilizing the most CPU resource.

Some problem with TRV-33?
    Gosh....dunno whether mine will be affected..
    But at the moment, no problem for me.

The harddisk was not active when the pc hanged. Also, did check the Task manager and the CPU usage for all was 00.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast