Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any forum on videography?

Originally posted by S40
    I've intended to upgrade to P4 2.4Ghz, but gotta see how the economy goes 1st....
    Was at SLS yesterday. Saw some shops selling P4, 2.6Ghz with 40G HD, 64meg GeForce4 graphic card, 256meg ram and CDRW, without monitor - abt S$900/-. Plus on site service. Is this cheap?

Prices at SLS are very tempting, but not sure of what their service/guarantee is like. How much do they honor what they claim to provide.

Originally posted by S40
    The best way is go to any Best Denki Store and try them out yourself.
    Pros of TRV-33:
    1. Ultra fast zooming - about 1 sec from 1X to 10X.
    2. Touch screen panel - makes it easier to scroll thru all the fuinctions.

Cons :
    1. Minimum light is 7 lux, most camcorders is about 5 lux. Compomised by getting a video light as a standby.

IMHO, all camcorders are about the same... the diff is how u gonna edit, capture and burn.
    Did test out at Plaza Singapura, quite satisfy with the zoom.

However no chance to try out night shooting or in poor lightling leh. Unless there is a sudden black out in the shop

Where did you get your TRV-33? Can disclose how much you got it?

Recently I found a website where there is some reviews and forum on video cam. Try it out
    www.simplydv.com

Originally posted by teerex
    Was at SLS yesterday. Saw some shops selling P4, 2.6Ghz with 40G HD, 64meg GeForce4 graphic card, 256meg ram and CDRW, without monitor - abt S$900/-. Plus on site service. Is this cheap?

Prices at SLS are very tempting, but not sure of what their service/guarantee is like. How much do they honor what they claim to provide.
    My relative is in the pc industry. I can get a P4 2.4Ghz at $700 from him. Not sure of the specs though. But, since it's my relative, he should be giving all reliable stuffs. Just by upgrading the motherboard, ram, and intel chip is about $400.

Originally posted by freeworld
    Did test out at Plaza Singapura, quite satisfy with the zoom.

However no chance to try out night shooting or in poor lightling leh. Unless there is a sudden black out in the shop

Where did you get your TRV-33? Can disclose how much you got it?

Recently I found a website where there is some reviews and forum on video cam. Try it out
    www.simplydv.com
    For total darkness, Super Nightshot will come into use. However, whatever you shoot will be in green color...
    There is also a colour slow shutter, which allows you to capture subjects in low lighting with colour at a slow shutter. There is a lower end model TRV-22E, same as the TRV 33E, except that it is 800,000 pixels. The minimum light is 5 lux. But for still images, it is about 300,000 pixels only. So you gotta give and take....

I got mine at Alan Foto for $1280 excluding GST.

Originally posted by S40
    lower end model TRV-22E, same as the TRV 33E, except that it is 800,000 pixels. The minimum light is 5 lux. But for still images, it is about 300,000 pixels only. So you gotta give and take....

The listed price of the TRV33E is $1599. When did you buy it at Alan Photo? Is it cheaper there than those Sony Gallery shops?

I'm shopping for the TRV19E.

Originally posted by S40
    For total darkness, Super Nightshot will come into use. However, whatever you shoot will be in green color...
    There is also a colour slow shutter, which allows you to capture subjects in low lighting with colour at a slow shutter. There is a lower end model TRV-22E, same as the TRV 33E, except that it is 800,000 pixels. The minimum light is 5 lux. But for still images, it is about 300,000 pixels only. So you gotta give and take....

Thanks

Now I am some sort of confirm getting a sony. In my shortlist, there is still TRV-33, TRV-38 and TRV-60.....personally I prefer compactness of TRV-33 but feature of TRV-60. However budget is really a headache

Originally posted by lokety
    The listed price of the TRV33E is $1599. When did you buy it at Alan Photo? Is it cheaper there than those Sony Gallery shops?

I'm shopping for the TRV19E.
    It is definitely cheaper to get from small retail shops than those electrical giants like Harvey Norman and Best. Once you have tested the equipments at these giants, go to SLS and get your quotations.
    As I'm used to dealing at Alan Foto with Ah Tan, I always go directly there without asking around.

Originally posted by freeworld
    Thanks

Now I am some sort of confirm getting a sony. In my shortlist, there is still TRV-33, TRV-38 and TRV-60.....personally I prefer compactness of TRV-33 but feature of TRV-60. However budget is really a headache
    No prob, I chose the TRV 33 'cos it is a newly launched model. Like the design and ease of gripping. DCR-PC101 was actually on my list while shopping for a camcorder. It used to cost $2199 last year, but Sony reduce the price to $1699. Specs is the same as TRV 33. But, it can only support memory stick and not memory stick pro. Also, it is quite difficult to grip. My hand got tired of holding it after a while.

Originally posted by S40
    It is definitely cheaper to get from small retail shops than those electrical giants like Harvey Norman and Best. Once you have tested the equipments at these giants, go to SLS and get your quotations.
    As I'm used to dealing at Alan Foto with Ah Tan, I always go directly there without asking around.
    Agree with that!
    I also got quoted $137x w/gst by a shop at Holland V for TRV-33. Looks like I have to go down AP one of these day

I just came back from trying out the Panasonic and Sony cameras.

I tried the Panasonic NV-GS and NV-DS series and find that they are comparable to the Sony TRVs. The amount of hardware controls are more, the tape loads at the top instead of the bottom, the resolution starts from 800K, and the GS30 is such satisfaction to hold! Does anyone have any opinion regarding these two brands and which one is better for a budget of S$1300? Would Sony be a better choice because of better battery design, lens/picture quality, or other features?

Another thing I'm thinking hard about is the promotional price of the DS series. They have the LED light feature which the GS series do not have, but are priced less than S$1000 currently. Is this price difference because the GS50 has a remote control?

Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by S40
    My relative is in the pc industry. I can get a P4 2.4Ghz at $700 from him. Not sure of the specs though. But, since it's my relative, he should be giving all reliable stuffs. Just by upgrading the motherboard, ram, and intel chip is about $400.
    before you get your CPU, make sure it is the latest P4-2.4C and not 2.4B or 2.4

2.4C uses 800Mhz FSB and feature hyperthreading (turn your single CPU into 2 logical CPUs), couple with a i865PE board that has dual channel ddr400 support (need to buy 2 x identical 256/512MB DDR400 modules), they are best for video-editing

dun get the older 2.4B or 2.4 which runs at 533 and 400Mhz FSB respectively. They do not have hyperthreading too

sorry for the OT

Originally posted by lokety
    I just came back from trying out the Panasonic and Sony cameras.

I tried the Panasonic NV-GS and NV-DS series and find that they are comparable to the Sony TRVs. The amount of hardware controls are more, the tape loads at the top instead of the bottom, the resolution starts from 800K, and the GS30 is such satisfaction to hold! Does anyone have any opinion regarding these two brands and which one is better for a budget of S$1300? Would Sony be a better choice because of better battery design, lens/picture quality, or other features?

Another thing I'm thinking hard about is the promotional price of the DS series. They have the LED light feature which the GS series do not have, but are priced less than S$1000 currently. Is this price difference because the GS50 has a remote control?

Thanks for any help.
    AFAIK, the DS series is not made in Japan. No doubt the GS series is easy to hold, looks nicer than Sony models. But try scrolling thru the menus and selecting functions. It is more difficult to scroll.

Sony uses touch screen, which allowa u to select functions faster. Try the zooming also, and you'll see the difference. Another sepcial feature is the memory mix function, which allows you to add graphics on the spot to your current recorded scene.

Originally posted by Wai
    before you get your CPU, make sure it is the latest P4-2.4C and not 2.4B or 2.4

2.4C uses 800Mhz FSB and feature hyperthreading (turn your single CPU into 2 logical CPUs), couple with a i865PE board that has dual channel ddr400 support (need to buy 2 x identical 256/512MB DDR400 modules), they are best for video-editing

dun get the older 2.4B or 2.4 which runs at 533 and 400Mhz FSB respectively. They do not have hyperthreading too

sorry for the OT
    Never know about that..... I'm really lost when it comes to computer hardwares.... What graphic card should I get also?

Originally posted by S40
    Never know about that..... I'm really lost when it comes to computer hardwares.... What graphic card should I get also?
    doesn't matters if you dun play games

Originally posted by Wai
    doesn't matters if you dun play games
    I've just checked with my uncle. He's not sure whether it is 2.4c, but the brand is Azutech, and he say this board can support 2 rows of RAM, I'm confused....
    As for the sound card and graphic card, it's all built in....is it a good idea to get this motherboard?

Do u know how much it cost to get a full system w/o HDD and CDrom?
    What about just upgrading from P3 450 to P4 2.4?

Originally posted by S40
    I've just checked with my uncle. He's not sure whether it is 2.4c, but the brand is Azutech, and he say this board can support 2 rows of RAM, I'm confused....
    As for the sound card and graphic card, it's all built in....is it a good idea to get this motherboard?

Do u know how much it cost to get a full system w/o HDD and CDrom?
    What about just upgrading from P3 450 to P4 2.4?
    You mean Asustek? Anyway, if u need specs, me and Wai can give u information on the specs of the PC to built.

dun worry, me and Wai are regular hardwarezoner (saw his nick in that forums) and avid computer builders! SLS is literally my second home LOL!

To be safe, I can give u a list to follow and the estimated price costs so if ur uncle should source for them in SLS for the best price ya!
    Last edited by viix; 13th July 2003 at 01:45 AM.

Originally posted by teerex

Normally such SLS bundles are only entry level. Although cheap, these boards in the computer are slower and NOT value for money. Also, some SLS shops gives cheap price but has hidden cost and rude staff.. not to mention complaints of bad or even no after sales service once they sell u the products. Some shops has been said to give u a lousier product than what you've bought, (eg. someone complaint that he bought a 7200rpm hard disk and was given a 5400rpm harddisk with in store warrenty, which means he can't go back to manufacter to replace and the shop didn't warrant it as the recipt stated 7200rpm hdd and not the 5400rpm hdd)
    Last edited by viix; 13th July 2003 at 01:44 AM.

Originally posted by viix

dun worry, me and Wai are regular hardwarezoner (saw his nick in that forums) and avid computer builders! SLS is literally my second home LOL!
    you are....

anyway, Asustek is a good brand...with 3 years of warranty somemore (only Intel and Asustek give 3 years) but these two brands are also the most expensive

I suggest you to get the 2.4C CPU which is capable to 800MHz FSB and hyperthreading, and also 2 x DDR400 ram to run in Dual channel mode. These combo is best for Video editing

make sure you get a board that can run at 800MHz FSB, either i865 or i875 chipset.

If you get a i845 or other chipset, your CPU can only run at 533Mhz FSB.

the price for the CPU + board should be around $500-$600
    add 2 more pieces of DDR400 RAM will be another $300

lastly, a 120GB hard disk such as IBM 180GXP - $200 for 8MB cache version.

sound, graphic, LAN all can use onboard one first, unless you are particular abt the sound quality and want to play the latest 3D games, then you can buy a PCI card and add in
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Feeling itchy about building a comp... well, here's some reccomendation:

Abit IS7-E with 2.4C $513
    or ASUS p4C800deluxe with FIREWIRE and 2.4C $662

Western Digital 80Gb (3 year warrenty) $149

2x Kingston DDR400 pc3200 $103 x 2 = $206

TDK 48x24x48x (48x speed CDRW) $95
    or TDK dvd+/- R writer $439

HEC casing with 300W power supply $88

Any graphic card ~$100 - 200
    any monitor, (AOC not bad and cheap) ard $400 for a 19" monitor

++can use back old parts++
    floppy drive
    mouse
    keyboard
    speakers

Originally posted by viix

2x Kingston DDR400 pc3200 $103 x 2 = $206
    where selling so cheap? last mth price is it??

if $103 for 2 x DDR400, I will buy half a dozen

now the price should be $150-160 each

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast