Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any forum on videography?

No problem

BTW how are you coming along with editing, background music, voice over, etc with your video clips?

Which s/w r u using?

Allen
    Guests

Originally posted by viix
    [B]TRV 33E is fine. It's how you shoot the video that makes a difference. I used to use a PD150, loaned.

Most mini DV cameras are quite good nowadays. The PD150 I had used on the other hand is for broadcast. They have accurate
    Maybe I am wrong but the PD150 is NOT broadcast quality. Its merely using 3 x 1/3" (or is it 1/2") CCD. (after all DVCAM is still compressed video and 4:2:0)

Most higher-end cameras use 2/3" CCD. Even Sony's DXC-637 or D30 with PVV backs are considered "Industrial Grade" not broadcast.

Example of an old broadcast format: BVW400AP or the DVW700.

Allen
    Guests

Originally posted by viix
    A good prosumer camera is of course the panasonic MX500. It's a 3CCD camera, compact, and is almost as good as the sony PD150 in picture qualtiy. Else, the newer 24P cameras coming up might be worth a look. It's shoots video that looks a little more like film.
    How true, I've yet to see a demo footage myself.
    Cheers!
    Is there a 24P Consumer, Prosumer grade camera? How then are you able to playback 24P on standard PAL (25 frames) monitors?

Pardon my ignorance on this, I am really curious. I do know some "DV" cameras can shoot 25-Progressive.

Originally posted by teerex
    BTW how are you coming along with editing, background music, voice over, etc with your video clips?

Which s/w r u using?
    I'm still on a learning stage. Tried Pinnacle Studio 8 and it is quite easy to use. But my pc P3 450 is a bit too slow to cope with it....

OT a bit:

Anybody knows where to rent camcorders? From low-end to say something like the Canon XM-1 , Sony TRV-900 etc.

Can try using Videowave 4/5 which came with my firewire card.

i use a lousy Digital8 videocam... no difference in video quality only the Digital 8 videocam is very big and bulky... had it for years liao...

Videowave is easy to use and can automatically use mp3 songs (it converts mp3 to wav on the fly).

Titling is also easy although i have not managed to do 'logo on the corner trick' yet....

i think breaking the video project into smaller segments of 10 mins each is better... and remember home videos are normally not interesting to anyone else unless the person is also in the video... so must edit and cut out a lot to really have the punch in the video...
    Canon 40D 17-55mm/f2.8 IS, 50mm/f1.8, 70-200mm/f4 IS

S40 - like you, I'm also in the learning stage. Pinnacle does not seem to be able to work with my firewire card. Unable to get into capture mode with that s/w. So still go back to Ulead Video Studio 6. Perhaps we can learn from each other, and maybe from urban too.

urban - I've not tried Videowave. Very satisfied with Video Studio. It works very well with another of Ulead's software called Cool 3D. This does animated titling which can be used for intros and ends of clips. Video Studio also allows insertion of JPEG files, so you can insert digital photos into the clips as well. Background insertion is easy, drag and drop mp3 files and able to control volume level of foreground and background audio.

You're right, video viewing is BORING for people who are not in the clips. So breaking up the video into segments is a good idea, iso t does not bore the audience. But then on the other hand, if it is a trip video and you've captured all your travels. Then I think it would only be appropriate to keep everythig intact so that you can have a remembandce of the trip.

Happy Shooting, both still and video

Allen
    Guests

Default Auto-EDITING software...

There is this software called Muvee, a spin off from KRDL. Quite nifty, takes all your clips and it "edits" them based on the music you provide.

Of course by itself, it doesnt make logical cuts, you'll have to spell out the sequence. Go google and search for it, I'm sure some of you may enjoy it.

Thanks for you info Allen. I've had it for some time, it also came with the video cam package. Have not used it, perhaps as you suggested I'll give it a try.

"muvee autoProducer Cobalt ver 2.1"

is this it?

S40 - like you, I'm also in the learning stage. Pinnacle does not seem to be able to work with my firewire card. Unable to get into capture mode with that s/w. So still go back to Ulead Video Studio 6. Perhaps we can learn from each other, and maybe from urban too.

U mean certain capture cards will work with certain software only? Gosh....luckily I haven't bought the capture card yet. Previously I was just capturing video thru USB. But after a while, I realise that the captured video looks bad...so intended to capture thru firewire.
    Anyone has tried Pinnacle Studio 8? What firewire card works with it? Still prefer Pinnacle as there's lots of special effects and u can just add in a song directly from your CD.
    The worst thing I hate about burning to CD is the rendering stage.... for my P3 450 it takes 1 day and night...

My capture card from Convergence was not able to capture with Pinnacle s/w. But ok with muvee and video studio.
    I think the Dazzle card works with Pinnacle. You should confirm with vendor when you purchase the firewire card.
    Maybe someone else here could shed some light on firewire cards and their compatibility with s/w.

Yes, rendering sure does take a lot of tiime. I'm using a P4, 1Ghz. Rendering a 55min. mpeg1 video takes abt 3hrs.

Sorry, it P3, 1Ghz not P4

the_tick
    Guests

Have you tried searching the newsgroup rec.video.desktop

There's a wealth of information for both beginners and experts.

Originally posted by the_tick
    Have you tried searching the newsgroup rec.video.desktop

There's a wealth of information for both beginners and experts.
    Thanks for the link

Originally posted by S40
    Hmmm....seems there's a lot to be done to my PC.....

Which camcorder are u using at the moment?
    I'm currently using the Sony TRV-33E, previously I was using a Digital 8 handycam.
    I am also looking for a Camcor. How does Sony TRV-33E perform for indoor shot and night shot? How about the audio recording?

Is the still photo shot good enough for photo developing?

I am also considering Panasonic GX7EN and GS70. Have anyone tried these 2 camcor?

Sorry for so many qns.
    Thanks

Originally posted by Allen
    Maybe I am wrong but the PD150 is NOT broadcast quality. Its merely using 3 x 1/3" (or is it 1/2") CCD. (after all DVCAM is still compressed video and 4:2:0)

Most higher-end cameras use 2/3" CCD. Even Sony's DXC-637 or D30 with PVV backs are considered "Industrial Grade" not broadcast.

Example of an old broadcast format: BVW400AP or the DVW700.
    Yes, PD150 was used in broadcast and still is.. not that high end, but still broadcast. Used commonly for news coverage.

Originally posted by Allen
    Is there a 24P Consumer, Prosumer grade camera? How then are you able to playback 24P on standard PAL (25 frames) monitors?

Pardon my ignorance on this, I am really curious. I do know some "DV" cameras can shoot 25-Progressive.

These shoot 24p but converts back to progressive into DV. The 24p is the actual capture that gives a more "film-ic" look.

My capture card from Convergence was not able to capture with Pinnacle s/w. But ok with muvee and video studio.
    I think the Dazzle card works with Pinnacle. You should confirm with vendor when you purchase the firewire card.
    Maybe someone else here could shed some light on firewire cards and their compatibility with s/w.

Yes, rendering sure does take a lot of tiime. I'm using a P4, 1Ghz. Rendering a 55min. mpeg1 video takes abt 3hrs.
    I've intended to upgrade to P4 2.4Ghz, but gotta see how the economy goes 1st....

Originally posted by freeworld
    I am also looking for a Camcor. How does Sony TRV-33E perform for indoor shot and night shot? How about the audio recording?

Is the still photo shot good enough for photo developing?

I am also considering Panasonic GX7EN and GS70. Have anyone tried these 2 camcor?

Sorry for so many qns.
    Thanks
    The best way is go to any Best Denki Store and try them out yourself.
    Pros of TRV-33:
    1. Ultra fast zooming - about 1 sec from 1X to 10X.
    2. Touch screen panel - makes it easier to scroll thru all the fuinctions.

Cons :
    1. Minimum light is 7 lux, most camcorders is about 5 lux. Compomised by getting a video light as a standby.

IMHO, all camcorders are about the same... the diff is how u gonna edit, capture and burn.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast