Thread: Ruins of St Paul

Default Ruins of St Paul

Hi, I took this shot of the Ruins of St Paul and decided to give it some lighting effects to fill the void on the top right and also to try to bring the focus to the intricate details of the wall.

As I am working in Macau, I thought that posting my first picture of one of the most famous sites of Macau would be a good start. I am hoping this shot would not be too "cliche" though. Also are the words too "tacky"?

I appreciate all genuine comments and crtiques.
    Last edited by moby; 22nd June 2008 at 11:11 PM.

Default Re: Ruins of St Paul

IMHO, the vignette (what you call lighting effect) is overdone, and you've ordered your layers wrongly, as your text is eaten into by the vignette.

The colours look good, and I suppose the exposure and slightly cool white balance do lend a calmness to the scene, if that was intended. However, if you do want to tell the story of the fire razing it to the ground, perhaps a more gritty, acid-esque feel might work better.

yes, vignette is way overdone.

i am going to say that the angle taken here is weird, there are many distortions apparently present to me, and while you probably do not have to be anal about everything, what i am certain is that this is not a flattering angle of the ruins. the inclusion of the treeline to the bottom right is also very distracting. there are angles and ways to avoid having that in the picture. go lower, i suspect that will help next time.

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    IMHO, the vignette (what you call lighting effect) is overdone, and you've ordered your layers wrongly, as your text is eaten into by the vignette.

The colours look good, and I suppose the exposure and slightly cool white balance do lend a calmness to the scene, if that was intended. However, if you do want to tell the story of the fire razing it to the ground, perhaps a more gritty, acid-esque feel might work better.
    Hi Calebk, thanks for the invaluable comments. I will take note of the vignetting added on, I was experimenting with Photoshop and I think I should be able to control that better next time.

Thanks for pointing out the layer process. Again, will note the work flow process.

If you could illustrate how i can achieve the gritty, acid-esque feel in the picture, I will try to get that next time.

Quote Originally Posted by moby View Post

Hi, I took this shot of the Ruins of St Paul and decided to give it some lighting effects to fill the void on the top right and also to try to bring the focus to the intricate details of the wall.

As I am working in Macau, I thought that posting my first picture of one of the most famous sites of Macau would be a good start. I am hoping this shot would not be too "cliche" though. Also are the words too "tacky"?

I appreciate all genuine comments and crtiques.
    Welcome to Macau! I'm Singaporean and working in Macau too.

The photo is a little too dark, see if you can brighten it up a little with Photoshop - try the shadow/highlight command.

The ruins of St. Paul is always so crowded, the best time to go is actually early in the morning (it's bright enough even at 6am in the morning) where you get the morning sunshine on the wall, and no crowd.

The weather has been great the past few days, try going up the Macau Tower to take some aerial shots, and then you can try the bungee jump from the tower.
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Welcome to Macau! I'm Singaporean and working in Macau too.

The photo is a little too dark, see if you can brighten it up a little with Photoshop - try the shadow/highlight command.

The ruins of St. Paul is always so crowded, the best time to go is actually early in the morning (it's bright enough even at 6am in the morning) where you get the morning sunshine on the wall, and no crowd.

The weather has been great the past few days, try going up the Macau Tower to take some aerial shots, and then you can try the bungee jump from the tower.
    Hi Hitman, thanks for the welcome and tips on when to take the location. I agree with you on the timing because when i was there, it was evening and the sun was behind the wall. So early morning should be great time.

Erm........dont dare to do the Bungee jump leh. Have u done it before?

Quote Originally Posted by moby View Post
    Hi Hitman, thanks for the welcome and tips on when to take the location. I agree with you on the timing because when i was there, it was evening and the sun was behind the wall. So early morning should be great time.

Erm........dont dare to do the Bungee jump leh. Have u done it before?
    I want to try but my CO say 'NO!'
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    yes, vignette is way overdone.

i am going to say that the angle taken here is weird, there are many distortions apparently present to me, and while you probably do not have to be anal about everything, what i am certain is that this is not a flattering angle of the ruins. the inclusion of the treeline to the bottom right is also very distracting. there are angles and ways to avoid having that in the picture. go lower, i suspect that will help next time.
    Hi Nightmare, thanks for your constructive suggestions. I will take what you have said into consideration when i make my next attempt on the same subject. See if i can nail it this weekend early in the morning as suggested by Caleb.

I tried editing the picture (even though not considered a good picture) to see if this effect is better.

like to visit macao one day..... :P

hi,

i am visitng HK next month.will like to go macau 1D tour F&E.
    How do i go Ruin of St Paul from the macau ferry terminal?
    Does macau accept HKD?

Thanks
    OLympus EP3 17mm..

tacky, if you really ask for an opinion...

taxi would be the best although i have not tried taking their bus there....

a word of caution. macau is a very messy place in terms of currency. see if u can understand. sorry my england not powderful:

1) all places (shopping centres, roadside stalls) accept macau currency (MOP)
    2) bigger establishments (shopping centres) accept HKD according to prevailing exchange rate but smaller establishments (small shops, roadside stalls) accept HKD as an equivalent to MOP
    3) some big establishments also accept china currency (RMB) according to prevailing exchange rate

hope i din rember wrongly