Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Canon 860 IS

  1. #1

    Default Canon 860 IS

    Hi, I am a noobie here and will like to inquire is there any star filter available for the model ( Canon IXUS 860 IS ) stated above?

    If not, how can I change the camera settings in order to take a better star-like effect photo?


    The picture which I took was using long shutter, the effects not say very defined. Any tips or advice?
    Last edited by eflash; 22nd June 2008 at 03:38 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Canon 860 IS

    use a smaller aperture, ie larger aperture no. like f/8.. anyway, there are star filters out there but don't think the IXUS 860IS has a filter thread? you've to handhold the filter infront of the lens..

  3. #3

    Default Re: Canon 860 IS

    How do i change the aperture in canon 860 is?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Choa Chu Kang
    Posts
    440

    Default Re: Canon 860 IS

    frm wat i found online, u hv no way to control ur aperture manually... any night mode setting?
    Pentax K100D Super

  5. #5
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Canon 860 IS

    you can change the shooting mode to landscapes, the camera will try to get more DOF and thus will reduce the aperture
    a tripod will be needed

    as for the star filter, you will need to hold it in front of your lens

  6. #6

    Default Re: Canon 860 IS

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    you can change the shooting mode to landscapes, the camera will try to get more DOF and thus will reduce the aperture
    a tripod will be needed

    as for the star filter, you will need to hold it in front of your lens
    where do i find landscape mode?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Canon 860 IS

    Quote Originally Posted by eflash View Post
    where do i find landscape mode?
    Not too sure about your camera model, but I'm quite certain the instruction manual has it covered.

  8. #8
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Canon 860 IS

    Quote Originally Posted by eflash View Post
    where do i find landscape mode?
    i don't have my camera with me now, so cannot spoon feed you
    but i am very sure that it has scene modes

    http://site-sg.canon-asia.com/index....type=ixus860is

    Unlimited Creativity Possibilities

    Shooting Modes
    Auto, Camera M (Manual), Digital Macro, Color Accent, Color Swap, Stitch Assist, Special Scene *, Movie
    * Portrait, Night Snapshot, Kids & Pets, Indoor, Foliage, Snow, Beach, Fireworks, Aquarium, Underwater

  9. #9

    Default Re: Canon 860 IS

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i don't have my camera with me now, so cannot spoon feed you
    but i am very sure that it has scene modes

    http://site-sg.canon-asia.com/index....type=ixus860is

    Unlimited Creativity Possibilities

    Shooting Modes
    Auto, Camera M (Manual), Digital Macro, Color Accent, Color Swap, Stitch Assist, Special Scene *, Movie
    * Portrait, Night Snapshot, Kids & Pets, Indoor, Foliage, Snow, Beach, Fireworks, Aquarium, Underwater

    Yea, I tried out all the scene modes but cannot get well defined spokes for the star like effects. In fact the long shutter did slightly better job but still the star like effects appear for very very strong and big lights only. I tried changing my ISO to 80, but when the camera take photos, it automatically increased by itself to ISO 800.

  10. #10
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Canon 860 IS

    can try get cokin filters for compact cameras.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: Canon 860 IS

    you should set it on Manual mode or else the Auto ISO will kick in. Dont expect too much from your camera, it is still a consumer PnS.

  12. #12
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Canon 860 IS

    yes set to manual and select ISO 80
    you need to spend some time reading the manual and fooling around with the buttons

  13. #13

    Default Re: Canon 860 IS

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    yes set to manual and select ISO 80
    you need to spend some time reading the manual and fooling around with the buttons

    It was in manual when I set to ISO 80. In auto modes there are only ISO auto and ISO high to choose from.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Canon 860 IS

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    can try get cokin filters for compact cameras.
    wow, the cokin filters are interesting.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: Canon 860 IS

    Quote Originally Posted by eflash View Post
    It was in manual when I set to ISO 80. In auto modes there are only ISO auto and ISO high to choose from.
    I dont see why you can set to ISO80 in manual and still have the camera switch to ISO800. I managed to get ISO80 and 15" exposures out of mine.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Canon 860 IS



    Yea, can liao. This taken with ISO80 and 2"5 exposures.
    Last edited by eflash; 8th July 2008 at 11:05 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •