Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How is your photography unique?

Default Re: How is your photography unique?

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    Thanks. I am also aware of what the TS is asking, but I am also asking why everyone wants to be unique. The thing is photography is an art. It is about your perception of the world and the story you want to tell. Would having a unique picture tell your story better? Which angle or composition or setting it is depends on the situation and the story.

If it looks unique in terms of angle or composition or subject/pose, it can only mean that the viewer hasn't seen enough photos to notice the similiarities.

Every picture is a capture of a moment in time, and therefore is unique itself, as it is often difficult to create exactly the same condition. If TS want to be unique, he only need to scrutinise the photos to find the difference, and not focus on the similiarities.
    You have raised some very important points:

1. Why everyone wants to be unique?
    Because it is an expression of the photographer's identity. It's very human thing in wanting to feel special, to stand out, to be separated from the crowd. Hence having a unique picture (in idea, 'feel', post processing, angle, lighting, etc) marks the photographer as being unique. Sure, other folks can copy the idea later on but the creator has the status of being the 1st person to do that. Note that this doesn't just cover photojournalism, but in all areas of photography like fashion, food, architecture, etc.

2. Would having a unique picture tell your story better?
    This is where I have to split hairs. 'Better' is not a good word in art. By doing so, it makes some pictures 'worse'. Another word that is more appropriate in art is 'different'. So having a unique picture tells the story differently. Especially a unique idea in a picture. In a simple example, Helmut Newton's nudes are very recognizable not because of the photography technique but the idea that the women are empowered and in control in his images. Actually, till this day there are very few photographers who have copied his viewpoint.

3. If TS want to be unique, he only need to scrutinise the photos to find the difference, and not focus on the similiarities.
    This is a very good point. It's about the idea of perceivable difference. You are right in that every image is different (and unique itself) but the question is how perceivable the difference is. By and large, there will be images that stand out even more because of perceivable difference.

i suppose the question is whether a photo can be beautiful and unique at the same time!

think about it. Those 'postcard photos' at ...say....Merlionby the Esplanade Bridge! Most of them are "beautiful" (composition...contrast...lighting all great).

But they're clichéd and boring so i'm not attracted to them at all!

Any one feel this way?

Quote Originally Posted by k9sparx View Post
    you would give it a look and know that it is YOUR shot.
    one can only ensure that his shot is original by having your own idea and preference. he cannot ensure that it is definitely unique becos he cannot control other people and prevent coincidence. somewhere out there on earth there will always be somewhere doing exactly the same as you.

and besides, it is more important to be good than to be different, in most instances. there is no point selling chicken wings that taste like rubber and can't sell to a single soul. it is different if the chicken wing tasting like rubber is supposed to be a statement, and that is art. so it depends on how conventional you want to be, which in the former, they has to be good works that works, with limited subjectivity, and in the latter, your very own expression that dun have to work, dun have to be accepted and possibly dun have to be shown to a second soul. and in the former, you need to be within the scope and you can't stop someone else if he or she has found the same success factor. in the latter, there is no limit and there is a higher chance of being different, becos you can choose to do things that dun work and other people avoided it becos they dun work.
    Last edited by zoossh; 30th June 2008 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zoossh View Post
    one can only ensure that his shot is original but having your own idea and preference. he cannot ensure that it is definitely unique becos he cannot control other people and prevent coincidence. somewhere out there on earth there will always be somewhere doing exactly the same as you.

and besides, it is more important to be good than to be different, in most instances. there is no point selling chicken wings that taste like rubber and do not sell to a single soul. it is different if the chicken wing tasting like rubber is supposed to be a statement, and that is art. so it depends on how conventional you want to be, which in the former, they has to be good works that works, with limited subjectivity, and in the latter, your very own expression and dun have to work, dun have to be accepted and possibly dun have to be shown to a second soul. and in the former, you need to be within the scope and you can't stop someone else if he or she has found the same success factor. in the latter, there is no limit and there is a higher chance of being different, becos you can choose to do things that dun work and other people avoided it becos they dun work.

This is what I meant. Echoed the sentiment, Zoosh. I think that's also what aphotoeditor.com was preaching in a lot of his posts. It's kinda sad (in a way) but true. It's more important to be in the legions of the good, than be.. say.. 'unique'.
    ---
    "again!" www.rhetoriques.com

My viewpoint. Photography is just like painting or say it is the modern way how people paint. Look at those quite popular paintings say the one call Before & After. How many versions are there by different artists? The main elements are there but of course some elements are changed. It is easier to be more original in paintings though. In photography, it is very easily and unintentionally your photos are similar with other photos from other people.

My photography is unique because I say so.

Quote Originally Posted by johndzite View Post
    My viewpoint. Photography is just like painting or say it is the modern way how people paint. Look at those quite popular paintings say the one call Before & After. How many versions are there by different artists? The main elements are there but of course some elements are changed. It is easier to be more original in paintings though. In photography, it is very easily and unintentionally your photos are similar with other photos from other people.
    I tend to agree on this point. I personnally feel that the idea is to bring out what the photographer feels at that point in time when taking the photo. How to achieve that on the other hand, is subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    My photography is unique because I say so.
    Umm. It doesn't work that way, saying your photography is unique doesn't make it so. Like it or not, there's a tacit standard of what constitutes uniqueness.

The Zohan.

Quote Originally Posted by Zohan View Post
    Umm. It doesn't work that way, saying your photography is unique doesn't make it so. Like it or not, there's a tacit standard of what constitutes uniqueness.

The Zohan.
    i agree with your statement.

I think what makes a photo unique to the photographer is the fact that no matter how hard you try to copy another photographer's style, you still do certain things "your way", whether consciously or not, which gives your photo a unique "taste". while it isn't unique in the full sense of the word, its not the same as the photographer you were trying to simulate. i hope i make sense.

my signature on them , like really. i've never seen them on anyone else's.
    HOHO, lame.

But onto the serious stuff ;
    mine is unique cause its very vulnerable since its a fusion of realism and conceptualism. I like my photos to evoke emotions even to the unliveliest subjects like buildings. Plus, I love to infuse poetry into my works and how they corelates, I believe that makes it unique.

Do I sound braggish? No way!
    Last edited by velasco; 30th July 2008 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    HOHO, lame.

mine is unique cause its very vulnerable since its a fusion of realism and conceptualism. I like my photos to evok emotions even to the unliveliest subjects like buildings. Plus, I love to infuse poetry into my works and how they corelates, I believe that makes it unique.

yours sounds damn cheem and arty farty. haha

any1 uses expired films or fungus filled lenses for to be unique?

sometimes those trying to be unique try too hard. just enjoy photography, why so competitive (1 2 be this or that)?

HOHO, lame.

mine is unique cause its very vulnerable since its a fusion of realism and conceptualism. I like my photos to evoke emotions even to the unliveliest subjects like buildings. Plus, I love to infuse poetry into my works and how they corelates, I believe that makes it unique.

I took a look at your deviant site. Some of your images are strong and they are really good, they have crossed over from photography into art. Congrats! That said, a few points:

1. If you are doing poetry. You need to get your grammar right. I am no spelling/grammar Nazi but bad grammar is not a good thing for a poet.

2. Visually, your body of work in deviant art is not strong. Your images say different things. There doesn't seem to be a strong coherent train of thought. If you would like, perhaps you could take a look at photographers like www.johnclang.com or www.martinparr.com . Hence your work is not unique in that sense.

Please note that this is not a personal attack, just some observations about your work.

The Zohan.
    Last edited by Zohan; 30th July 2008 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zohan View Post
    I took a look at your deviant site. Some of your images are strong and they are really good, they have crossed over from photography into art. Congrats! That said, a few points:

1. If you are doing poetry. You need to get your grammar right. I am no spelling/grammar Nazi but bad grammar is not a good thing for a poet.

2. Visually, your body of work in deviant art is not strong. Your images say different things. There doesn't seem to be a strong coherent train of thought. If you would like, perhaps you could take a look at photographers like www.johnclang.com or www.martinparr.com . Hence your work is not unique in that sense.

Please note that this is not a personal attack, just some observations about your work.

The Zohan.
    If thats not personal attack, that is offensive constructive criticism at its best.[s] Maybe[/s] I'm just overtly sensitive.

But hmm, care to share which part of my grammar skills need a little brushing up? On a side note, poetry is really not about the technicalities of it all (alike photography),it is a craft of expression.Imperfections themselves are forms of expressions.I am certainly not saying that I possess a remarkable portfolio but wow your words really rubbed me the wrong way.l

Perhaps, you are shedding some light into my oh so delusional world. I just enjoy playing with words and images,sir, I certainly do not want this silly pleasures of mine to be taken too seriously.

Secondly as much as I love coherence in my body of work, I truly believe every picture is unique & frankly I don't envision and pursue uniformity in concepts of my works. So truly sorry if you do not see a coherent train of thoughts.

Hence your work is not unique in that sense.

That line really pricks my little fragile esteem. My intention of replying to the thread starter is simple ; summing up my own perspective of my style. I did not expect such a meticulous observation from you. Don't get me wrong I sincerely accept your point of view as I myself is trying to learn. I hereby apologize once more if my reaction is unacceptable by you or any other posters happen to lurk around.

Oh if i may, my Flickr account would be a much refurbished examples of my work.

Peace and much love.
    Last edited by velasco; 30th July 2008 at 09:48 PM.

velasco, i hope u take things easy. i believe zohan didn't really brush in a rude way although i'm not in the position to agree or disagree with his observation. setting a friendly environment in the forum is everyone's business and opening up is a good way to rethink about one's photography.

It's unique because its how I see things.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    It's unique because its how I see things.
    oni if the pics come out the way you envisioned them. how successful has a pic/s translated/conveyed that vision.

in the end, the proof is in the pics- the finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    any1 uses expired films or fungus filled lenses for to be unique?

i have quite a few rolls of expired film but no fungus filled lenses to be unique. maybe i will vaseline up some filters for effect.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    sometimes those trying to be unique try too hard. just enjoy photography, why so competitive (1 2 be this or that)?
    i agree with this. being competitive and wanting to be unique is good for any photographer but most important is to enjoy it. what's the point of having a hobby that becomes stressful.

If thats not personal attack, that is offensive constructive criticism at its best.[s] Maybe[/s] I'm just overtly sensitive.

But hmm, care to share which part of my grammar skills need a little brushing up? On a side note, poetry is really not about the technicalities of it all (alike photography),it is a craft of expression.Imperfections themselves are forms of expressions.I am certainly not saying that I possess a remarkable portfolio but wow your words really rubbed me the wrong way.l

Perhaps, you are shedding some light into my oh so delusional world. I just enjoy playing with words and images,sir, I certainly do not want this silly pleasures of mine to be taken too seriously.

Secondly as much as I love coherence in my body of work, I truly believe every picture is unique & frankly I don't envision and pursue uniformity in concepts of my works. So truly sorry if you do not see a coherent train of thoughts.

Hence your work is not unique in that sense.

That line really pricks my little fragile esteem. My intention of replying to the thread starter is simple ; summing up my own perspective of my style. I did not expect such a meticulous observation from you. Don't get me wrong I sincerely accept your point of view as I myself is trying to learn. I hereby apologize once more if my reaction is unacceptable by you or any other posters happen to lurk around.

Oh if i may, my Flickr account would be a much refurbished examples of my work.

Peace and much love.
    Hello

I apologize if I have hurt your feelings. I don't mean to as I am talking about your work, not you.

Grammar is one of the foundational things about communicating effectively. Interpretation of poetry is subjective, grammar is not. Here's an example from the flickr site, the word between asterisks should be 'lives'. The phrase between [] is not grammatically correct:

maghribi
    your faith hanging by the ledge
    if let it slip [then no one to catch]
    I rather you hand them to that lone sparrow
    that like you, *live* by her sorrows
    but unlike you she has wings to fly
    to return faith back to the sky.

A coherent set of images shows the person's train of thought and therefore his style. About showing your unique style, I have to disagree with you, I cannot see it. On the other hand, you have used many styles.

The Zohan.
    Last edited by Zohan; 31st July 2008 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jfoo View Post

i have quite a few rolls of expired film but no fungus filled lenses to be unique. maybe i will vaseline up some filters for effect.

i agree with this. being competitive and wanting to be unique is good for any photographer but most important is to enjoy it. what's the point of having a hobby that becomes stressful.

i'll pass, thanks. i've moved on to digital liao, not that hung-up on being unique. i focus on enjoying taking pics, other people focus on other things. live & let live. unless those pics are unlawful, i see no need to explain them in minute details.

Just Do It!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast