Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to change lenses fast???

Default Re: How to change lenses fast???

2 body with different lens.....but abit heavy.

also, use hands, not legs hor.... as hands faster then legs to change lens, if u are asking this question on how to change lens fast.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by khtee View Post
    if it is a paid events, it's better to get a 2nd camera as you might miss the most important parts while changing lens. Do not take for granted that the host and guests will wait for you to change the lenses.....
    Ya man...I have never seen any paid pro shooting event will only have one camera with them. If you want to do this cheap or free and you at the same time don't want to lose the shot well...you have to do with you HAVE to do to get the shot. A paying client is not going to want to hear excuses. You do this free also ...people would expect that you deliver. they may not like it alot but they will still be not happy you did not do a good job...and rather you did not voluteer. Just as bad if you did this to further your career at the office or you did it to help or gain favor. You STILL have to deliver the shot.

When I was shooting friend's weddings and events for my company now...I do what I have to since I only have one body and 3 lens to work with. If I have to put the lens on the table, side platform or even the floor I am standing on just so I can change to another lens quickly, I will. Sometime even with a pouch system is a waste of time. If you are rushing and looking at the scene you are shooting..you try to aim that lens you just took from your camera and poke that through the small pouch opening, also making sure it is in good enough it will not topple out, then grab another lens out of another pouch and then fixing it to your camera body and all this time...hopping you did not get too much dust going into the camera....eg. If it had to be a containment of some sort, I would rather it be a bag with a large opening that you could look into top down and just pick and choose what lens or accessories you need.

My lens casing have dirt on them, stain and some have scratches too as I laid them down on the ground, grass, plastic dustbin you see at the park, dinner table at restaurant, pedestal..etc. You have to ask yourself which is more important to you? You still thinking resell value on your lens (base on how mint it looks) while you are shooting...you ain't going to make a good photographer. At that moment or other times. Period.

You want to do the job...voluteer or paid...once you commit to it, then stay commited to it and get the job done one way or another. Professionally, buying a second body is a no brainer. If you are just shooting for fun and rather not see anything happen to your gear for one reason or another, I say stay away from event shooting. You screw up....there is no way anyone is going to come back another day or re pose that same shot just for you. So how fast do you want to change your lens in cases like this?

Well, I shoot with 2 bodies OR IF I AM SHOOTING WITH ONE BODY....

1. (Chant - One Thousand) Remove lens from camera
    2. (Chant - Two Thousand) Jam it between elbow and arm
    3. (Chant - Three Thousand) Retrieve second lens from camera vest
    4. (Chant - Four Thousand) Slam it onto camera body and dump the 1st lens into vest

If can, dun change so fast, slow and steady, dun drop it.

Changing fast does not gives u a title.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    Well, I shoot with 2 bodies OR IF I AM SHOOTING WITH ONE BODY....

1. (Chant - One Thousand) Remove lens from camera
    2. (Chant - Two Thousand) Jam it between elbow and arm
    3. (Chant - Three Thousand) Retrieve second lens from camera vest
    4. (Chant - Four Thousand) Slam it onto camera body and dump the 1st lens into vest
    thats how usually media guys in the past do it (with manual cams)...hehehehe...sometimes its between the legs
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    thats how usually media guys in the past do it (with manual cams)...hehehehe...sometimes its between the legs
    ooo that's my favorite spot hahahahah

Sometimes I jam it between my head and shoulder.
    And sometimes I will use this variation instead:

1. (Chant - One Thousand) Jam camera between left hand flexors and biceps
    2. (Chant - Two Thousand) Remove lens with right hand and hold in right hand
    3. (Chant - Three Thousand) Retrieve second lens from camera vest with left hand
    4. (Chant - Four Thousand) Dump first lens into camera vest using right hand
    5. (Chant - Five Thousand) Simultaneously transfer second lens from left hand to right hand and camera to left hand and slam the lens into camera mount from right hand

nowadays i wouldn't remove my kit lens much, fear of dust on sensors.
    It's troublesome (for me, coz by the time i go down from work, it will be like 7.30pm)
    to go down Nikon service center during their operating hours, even though on weds they open till 8pm.
    (might kena the "you come back in 3 days or 1 week" to collect....does it happen this way? lol)
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

nowadays i wouldn't remove my kit lens much, fear of dust on sensors.
    It's troublesome (for me, coz by the time i go down from work, it will be like 7.30pm)
    to go down Nikon service center during their operating hours, even though on weds they open till 8pm.
    (might kena the "you come back in 3 days or 1 week" to collect....does it happen this way? lol)
    Don't need to be afraid of dust lah. To me dust is an overated issue. How often do you shoot at apertures where diffraction sets in?

Even when shooting at critical events/incident scenes I shoot at f/8, as a rule of thumb. DOF is more than enough.

just a question, do you change your lens with the camera being on or off

Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    just a question, do you change your lens with the camera being on or off
    Best to turn it off.... but if you need the speed, then keep it on and point the camera body down to reduce the chance of dust entering.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12