Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to change lenses fast???

Default How to change lenses fast???

Hi guys, i was shooting an event today for the first time with my Nikon 70-200 and i've got 1 huge burning question. How do you guys change lens fast with that lens and let's say a tamron 28-75?? I cant do it the way i normally do it which is to hold 1 lens with my index finger and thumb and remove the lens on my camera using my remaining 3 fingers! The lens is simply too heavy! In fact, i can barely change it without needing a surface to put the lens on. help pls!

Default Re: How to change lenses fast???

Fastest way is to get a second camera body.

Quote Originally Posted by Leong23 View Post
    Fastest way is to get a second camera body.
    double tt

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGod View Post
    Hi guys, i was shooting an event today for the first time with my Nikon 70-200 and i've got 1 huge burning question. How do you guys change lens fast with that lens and let's say a tamron 28-75?? I cant do it the way i normally do it which is to hold 1 lens with my index finger and thumb and remove the lens on my camera using my remaining 3 fingers! The lens is simply too heavy! In fact, i can barely change it without needing a surface to put the lens on. help pls!
    Get a empty pouch to keep the lens in. Slot in the lens first before you unmount it and let it slide in. Grab the 28-75 and mount it.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Get a sling bag and dump the 70-200 in while you change to another lens.

keep your lens face down in the bag, remove all caps during the event, makes changing easier. lean back alittle to support the camera on your tummy

Get a couple of lens pouches. Fix them onto your belt. Keep one of them empty and the rest put the lens you want to use. When change over, unmount the lens from the camera, drop it into the empty lens pouch, fix the lens onto from the other pouches. There are few modulus belt system available in the market. Lowepro and Think Tank, take a look.

Other way, which is the dangerous way. Is to clamp the lens between your arms and body while you change over.

Best is to hold two cameras with the lens of your choice.
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

Second body seems to be a fantastic option but it sure requires $$$! I like the multiple pouch idea and i'm actually sorta using it now but i think the prob is tt i've got just enuf pouches to hold all the lenses so i'll always have to take 1 out before i can put 1 in. No guts to remove rear lens cap yet, damn, if dust goes in....

don't be overly paranoid. these lenses are built tougher than you think.
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

yea camera too right? seen those Nikon youtube vids? The one where this guy dropped his D3 and poured stuff all over it. Anyway, it's still kinda scary u knw,.... what if it just fails lol.

yea camera too right? seen those Nikon youtube vids? The one where this guy dropped his D3 and poured stuff all over it. Anyway, it's still kinda scary u knw,.... what if it just fails lol.
    that guy is alittle lame imo..lol

I got an offtrail, basically a waist with modular pouches. get the essential lenses u got on u, the changing is much faster after a few rounds

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    keep your lens face down in the bag, remove all caps during the event, makes changing easier. lean back alittle to support the camera on your tummy
    thats what i do! hahaha. nearly dropped my lens before though, so do becareful!

I always change slowly in my bag.

Cant change lenses slowly during events... Think im gonna seriously consider the modular pouches.

i use a pouch to change lenses in the field, and it works well. But from my limited experience, the 70-200/2.8 class (300/4, 400/5.6) does not hang comfortably off the waist. It is too heavy and too long. It just bounces clumsily around and restricts movement quite a bit. My solution was a compromise; i replaced the 70-200 with a 135/2 and have not looked back since.

Yes i agree with the clumsy part, the bag provided by nikon does kinda suck. Gonna go look for some lowepro ones today....

I think the fastest is have 3 assistants beside you......one left and one right. One left holding wide angle lenses and the right one hold the tele lenses.

The third assistant will be downloading your wireless data from your camera......

I am sure there is always newbies who is more than willing to lend a helping hand just to learn from the experience photographers.

Anyway jokes aside, if you are thinking of keeping your lenses spanking clean without any dust and scratches then you cannot change it fast. When I use to work in a news agency, my lenses never had a lens cap for both front and back. Bags are clumsy. A vest is more preferred as there are pockets to store your lenses.

Second body will help as well.

Another thing to notice is to have a sharp eye on the events you are covering. Anticipate the next step or speak to the organisers on the program of the event itself so you are more prepared as this will let you change your lenses quicker and more efficient.

Blog Entries

change lens fast
    worry about dust
    worry about dropping camera/lens

best option is to get another camera and mount lens ready for shoot

look more pro also

if it is a paid events, it's better to get a 2nd camera as you might miss the most important parts while changing lens. Do not take for granted that the host and guests will wait for you to change the lenses.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast