• Have both, mainly shoot Digital

85 29.31%
  • Have both, mainly shoot Film

42 14.48%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Demographic Survey #2: SLR users - Film or Digital

Default Re: Demographic Survey #2: SLR users - Film or Digital

Quote Originally Posted by doug3fflux
    hmm what a wellwritten paragraph about film and digital. maybe those camera shops out there wanna make this deal for amateur users...to compliment both mediums..something like...

Buy F5 and get d100 free!
    or
    Buy 300d and get 1v free!
    Haha i doubt so...digital is digital and film is film.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle
    Haha i doubt so...digital is digital and film is film.
    Well.. there is the Leica R8 and R9 which can be fitted with the Digital Modul-R.

In fact, there was speculation whether Nikon will come out with a similar thing for F6 then.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 13th February 2006 at 09:15 AM.

Yes so i've to save more money for slides before i can use them. Correct, digital can trigger happy while film can't. The reason why i didn't change to DSLR cos i prefer the quality of film but yet didn't have enough for digital. Was targetting the 20D but it's still very expensive.
    A stop gap solution would be to get an entry level DSLR. I would say that the images can be quite stunning and definitely better in quality than digital PnS because you get full control. If you don't make large prints all the time, I can very safely say that a 6-8mp DSLR is good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Well.. there is the Leica R8 and R9 which can be fitted with the Digital Modul-R.

In fact, there was speculation whether Nikon will come out with a similar thing for F6 then.
    Yes i know...if only my EOS 30 have the same then i won't have to bring out 2 cams.

But the digital module for Leica's super expensive...but it also gives full flexibility between digital and film.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

A stop gap solution would be to get an entry level DSLR. I would say that the images can be quite stunning and definitely better in quality than digital PnS because you get full control. If you don't make large prints all the time, I can very safely say that a 6-8mp DSLR is good enough.
    I usually don't print anything above S8R. I have a Sony digicam compact at 3.2MP and can give very gd results at A4 size paper, but that's the max it can go.

I don't like entry-level DSLRs like the 350D cos there're no custom functions. Now though 350D kit costs as low as $1.5K but still don't tempt me.

I usually don't print anything above S8R. I have a Sony digicam compact at 3.2MP and can give very gd results at A4 size paper, but that's the max it can go.

I don't like entry-level DSLRs like the 350D cos there're no custom functions. Now though 350D kit costs as low as $1.5K but still don't tempt me.
    Oh, the Canon 350D doesn't allow custom functions? I thought it was on the same price range as Nikon D70 and would probably be quite similar.

Oh, the Canon 350D doesn't allow custom functions? I thought it was on the same price range as Nikon D70 and would probably be quite similar.
    I just double checked and sorry for my mistake...the 350D has custom functions but not enough....only 9. The 20D has more. hehe

I just double checked and sorry for my mistake...the 350D has custom functions but not enough....only 9. The 20D has more. hehe
    Aiyoh.. good enough lah.. What you need? ISO, WB, Sharpness, Contrast, M, S(Tv), A(Av), P.. Not enough meh? Got custom curves?

You use film you got do customize processing? Dun have right? Standard C-41 process and lab printing right?

Aiyoh.. good enough lah.. What you need? ISO, WB, Sharpness, Contrast, M, S(Tv), A(Av), P.. Not enough meh? Got custom curves?

You use film you got do customize processing? Dun have right? Standard C-41 process and lab printing right?
    I'm not a digital user so i'm not sure abt the DSLRs. ISO, WB and those others u mentioned are standard functions. Custom function IMO for my EOS 30 included options to mirror lockup, high speed or silent film rewind, AF but which buttons to activate, whether to rewind the film entirely into the canister or leave the film leader outside, how the AF on the speedlite behaves, 2nd curtain flash on or off, etc.

Customised processing nope, it's a standard process but i always ask them to scan into digital format and burn into a CD with index.

I'm not a digital user so i'm not sure abt the DSLRs. ISO, WB and those others u mentioned are standard functions. Custom function IMO for my EOS 30 included options to mirror lockup, high speed or silent film rewind, AF but which buttons to activate, whether to rewind the film entirely into the canister or leave the film leader outside, how the AF on the speedlite behaves, 2nd curtain flash on or off, etc.

Customised processing nope, it's a standard process but i always ask them to scan into digital format and burn into a CD with index.
    Hey, then all the more you should consider digital. Custome functions like 2nd curtain flash, red eye reduction should also be standard, so should exposure compensation. On the D70, some of the buttons like AE/AF-lock can be asssigned. Mirror lockup may or may not be available and may be different from the mirror lockup we know in film because it may just be for sensor cleaning. Film rewind? I don't think you will need to rewind anything. There should also be some functions to format the CF card, protect an image from accidental deletion etc etc. Much more functions than what a film camera would ever have. But I am quite sure you won't really need most of those functions anyway.

A 16Base film scan is only equivalent to 6Mpix!
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 13th February 2006 at 04:08 PM.

Hey, then all the more you should consider digital. Custome functions like 2nd curtain flash, red eye reduction should also be standard, so should exposure compensation. On the D70, some of the buttons like AE/AF-lock can be asssigned. Mirror lockup may or may not be available and may be different from the mirror lockup we know in film because it may just be for sensor cleaning. Film rewind? I don't think you will need to rewind anything. There should also be some functions to format the CF card, protect an image from accidental deletion etc etc. Much more functions than what a film camera would ever have. But I am quite sure you won't really need most of those functions anyway.

A 16Base film scan is only equivalent to 6Mpix!
    Digital not anytime soon cos have to go work first. But of cos i'm happy with film (other than processing costs) as it gives very gd image quality and colours, especially with slides. Custom functions are subjective as for films and digital have each of their custom functions.

Digital not anytime soon cos have to go work first. But of cos i'm happy with film (other than processing costs) as it gives very gd image quality and colours, especially with slides. Custom functions are subjective as for films and digital have each of their custom functions.
    Yeah. Most important is to enjoy the shooting first.

Yeah. Most important is to enjoy the shooting first.
    That's right...but i only reserve my film SLR for events and special occassions, other than that i use my compact digicam for triggering happy!

I had a thing for SLR's when I was a kid. The sound of the shutter going off was amazing. It brought you into the photography. Be it PNS or whenever I got the chance to use my dad's SLR, it gave a special kick to it.

I too went digital (consumer PNS). only to revert back to SLR very recently as my budget allowed me to. This is my first personal SLR and the love for it will never end.

DIGITAL is convenience. Period. You shoot, view, select, print. Its an avenue for beginners who wish to learn about photography as fast as they can without the hassle/cost of finding out their mistakes.

The downside is- Technology. As it advances, what makes you think that your pictures in your PC/format/camera will last? If you dont print it, and your PC crashes, all your praying will not help. You not only loose the photos, you loose what is most important - the MEMORIES.

Scrolling through the PC with your mouse browsing through your photos is so unemotional. Unlike flipping through old prints that were taken 10-20 years ago that are yellow around the edges and came in 3R with rounded edges.

Each format has its own merits, but film is still favoured for me.
    The sooner you get it, the longer you enjoy it.
    I welcome you @ www.benaw.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Benji77
    I had a thing for SLR's when I was a kid. The sound of the shutter going off was amazing. It brought you into the photography. Be it PNS or whenever I got the chance to use my dad's SLR, it gave a special kick to it.

I too went digital (consumer PNS). only to revert back to SLR very recently as my budget allowed me to. This is my first personal SLR and the love for it will never end.

DIGITAL is convenience. Period. You shoot, view, select, print. Its an avenue for beginners who wish to learn about photography as fast as they can without the hassle/cost of finding out their mistakes.

The downside is- Technology. As it advances, what makes you think that your pictures in your PC/format/camera will last? If you dont print it, and your PC crashes, all your praying will not help. You not only loose the photos, you loose what is most important - the MEMORIES.

Scrolling through the PC with your mouse browsing through your photos is so unemotional. Unlike flipping through old prints that were taken 10-20 years ago that are yellow around the edges and came in 3R with rounded edges.

Each format has its own merits, but film is still favoured for me.
    Yes....the shutters of film SLRs are really true and amazing. IMO, the shutter sound of DSLRs are rather fake.

Yes....the shutters of film SLRs are really true and amazing. IMO, the shutter sound of DSLRs are rather fake.
    I think it shouldn't sound much different except if you have an automatic winder, then you get the buzz sound after the click. You'll get used to it.

As for storage wise, I beg to differ. you can always make copies of digital because it's just numbers. But for film, if you do ever keep them and tried reprinting you will find that the dyes would have changed. You will lose contrast and the colours will no longer be correct. I will always regenerate copied of my treasured digital photos. Yes, there may come a day when the format will not be compatible anymore, but there will also be transition phases, then you just have to convert the images to the new format.

You can always say you can keep a copy of the film scan, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose? Why would anyone want to image from a piece of plastic when you can directly image from the actual scene? I have shot enough film to know the pros and cons, the strengths and weaknesses of each of them. Will I still shoot film? The answer is still Yes, but only if I have a strong need to.

Deregistered

Last time, when using the good old SLR, I was wishing that one day, the DSLR will be affordable for hobbyist like us.... that time, before the d300, DSLR was like buying a ferrari... ........... nothing wrong with film, in fact, like the many diff tyoe of film for diff occasion.... but alas, the cost of developing is going higher, esp B & W, slides etc... and worst of all, you got to wait for a few days before you know how the pic turn out.... now is a diff story with more affordable DSLR on the market... ......... just hope that lens are not too ex....

I think it shouldn't sound much different except if you have an automatic winder, then you get the buzz sound after the click. You'll get used to it.

As for storage wise, I beg to differ. you can always make copies of digital because it's just numbers. But for film, if you do ever keep them and tried reprinting you will find that the dyes would have changed. You will lose contrast and the colours will no longer be correct. I will always regenerate copied of my treasured digital photos. Yes, there may come a day when the format will not be compatible anymore, but there will also be transition phases, then you just have to convert the images to the new format.

You can always say you can keep a copy of the film scan, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose? Why would anyone want to image from a piece of plastic when you can directly image from the actual scene? I have shot enough film to know the pros and cons, the strengths and weaknesses of each of them. Will I still shoot film? The answer is still Yes, but only if I have a strong need to.
    The buzz sound is almost inaudible in my EOS 30.

Quote Originally Posted by SEXiao
    Last time, when using the good old SLR, I was wishing that one day, the DSLR will be affordable for hobbyist like us.... that time, before the d300, DSLR was like buying a ferrari... ........... nothing wrong with film, in fact, like the many diff tyoe of film for diff occasion.... but alas, the cost of developing is going higher, esp B & W, slides etc... and worst of all, you got to wait for a few days before you know how the pic turn out.... now is a diff story with more affordable DSLR on the market... ......... just hope that lens are not too ex....
    Developing slides are ok, Ruby is doing a roll unmounted for $4.50 and $7.50 mounted. I think the price of film developing are still around the same as last time.

The buzz sound is almost inaudible in my EOS 30.
    Yeah.. The sound of Canon's film advance is more more muted than Nikon's and it has been like that since the FD age. Nikon's is quite distinctive and has remained very similar and I think it is something that keep people going back to the same brand, it's the familiarity of the sound it produces.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast