Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saved by DVD writer....

vince123123
    Guests

A. - I had two rolls of very impt film screwed by the lab before, turned out werid color...and one of which was a very impt tcs press conference some more....

B - Older negatives change color...i have some few yrs old one which kinda turn a werid shade of yellow....

Originally posted by tsdh
    vulnerability of digital.... film is better
    at least, the images on film never lost suddenly without any good reason...

Originally posted by vince123123
    A. - I had two rolls of very impt film screwed by the lab before, turned out werid color...and one of which was a very impt tcs press conference some more....
    chances for film to screw up without any reason is less than digital.

B - Older negatives change color...i have some few yrs old one which kinda turn a werid shade of yellow....
    Film facing deterioration over time, but not "sudden total lost". Digital never degrade in quality, but may lost totally due to deterioration of its storage media.

vince123123
    Guests

chances for film to screw up without any reason is less than digital.

Digital doesn't screw up as much cos you can review the images. If u are talking abt memory card dying, there is always x drive. for film, u just cross ur fingers n hope that the camera took the pciture, the film never jam, the camera never leak light, the lab know how to add the right chemicals, the lab never use his dirty fingers to stain/scratch ur film, the lab never LOSE the negs themselves.

Film facing deterioration over time, but not "sudden total lost". Digital never degrade in quality, but may lost totally due to deterioration of its storage media.
    Film is a confirm deterioration over time no matter what steps u take, unless its very costly archivals. Digitial, if u take proper steps (not that costly), they last forever

Digital doesn't screw up as much cos you can review the images. If u are talking abt memory card dying, there is always x drive. for film, u just cross ur fingers n hope that the camera took the pciture, the film never jam, the camera never leak light, the lab know how to add the right chemicals, the lab never use his dirty fingers to stain/scratch ur film, the lab never LOSE the negs themselves.
    you're talking about possibility of problem at the time of taking the picture, while I'm talking about possibility of problem after the picture being taken.
    So we have different point of view here.

Film is a confirm deterioration over time no matter what steps u take, unless its very costly archivals. Digitial, if u take proper steps (not that costly), they last forever
    Here, I'm talking about the chances of losing the image: in digital the choice is either you lose the whole image or you don't, while in film you still have chances of "partial lost". Robustness of its medium is also an advantage. example: a sheet of film may fall on the road and stepped by elephant, but its image is not lost altough may be full of scratches. You don't have those kind of robustness with digital storage.
    The most popular storage for digital today is CD, but CD media itself deteriorate over time, so you have to always copy all of your files to a new CD every a few years to minimise the chance of losing some of the files. If you forgot to do it, or incidentally the CD deteriorate faster than expected, you will lost the image.

vince123123
    Guests

I simply quote from ur first n second thread

"vulnerability of digital.... film is better
    at least, the images on film never lost suddenly without any good reason"

and

"chances for film to screw up without any reason is less than digital."

Nowhere does it state ur perspective so I just assumed it to be in the general.

Besides, doesn't lab screwing up ur images (chemicals,scratches,loss) count as "AFTER the picture? :P

[B]you're talking about possibility of problem at the time of taking the picture, while I'm talking about possibility of problem after the picture being taken.
    So we have different point of view here.

Besides, doesn't lab screwing up ur images (chemicals,scratches,loss) count as "AFTER the picture? :P
    Yes, the lab counts as problems after the picture being taken.
    But your statement quoted below, sounds otherwise:
    Digital doesn't screw up as much cos you can review the images. If u are talking abt memory card dying, there is always x drive. for film, u just cross ur fingers n hope that the camera took the pciture, the film never jam, the camera never leak light

Deregistered

Mprenza you got DVD writer lucky lor. I also damn kiasu, backup 1 DVD-R version, and 2 CDR versions of my files. I'm running WD 120Gb hdd, wityh a 120Gb Seagate as a secondary backup.
    Then today lousy suay day - in day kena whack by clients, nite (just 10 mins ago) main working comp decided to crash its motherboard. Sigh. ADWESH - A day where everything **** happens.

Originally posted by darkness
    Lemme guess, 75GXP?

I've been using the Deskstars from my first computer till now and never had a problem (including the ill-fated 75GXP, mine only failed becoz my sister kicked my computer and the whole computer fell on the floor, which damaged the 75GXP).

Now I'm using 2 x 60GXP (IBM replaced my 75GXP with a 60GXP) and a 120GXP without any problems. IBM's support is really fantastic!
    search around for reviews - the IBM 60, 70+ series were super problematic. Some crashed in a week.

vince123123
    Guests

maybe u should review the whole thread again from teh beginning. all along i was talking in general terms, both before, during after...you were the only one who insisted you were talking abt problems after and that i was talking abt before. in any case quoting HALF of what i said is quoting out of context the other half clearly states the whole picture.

Yes, the lab counts as problems after the picture being taken.
    But your statement quoted below, sounds otherwise:

vince123123
    Guests

THen lidat u know whats a good brand for a 120GB drive?

Originally posted by shawntim
    search around for reviews - the IBM 60, 70+ series were super problematic. Some crashed in a week.

THen lidat u know whats a good brand for a 120GB drive?
    I'm honestly not sure, but it's true that that series of IBM harddisks were particularly problematic.

However, I still like IBM HDD alot. They dun get so hot and they are very very silent.

After my company's experience with IBM deathstar, we stopped buying them completely. Never again will I go near a deathstar, and doesn't matter if Hitachi has taken it over. Gotta wait for a few years before we can conclude anything from the Hitachi takeover, and also gotta wait till the problem reports come in from the field. Hope quality improves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12