Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saved by DVD writer....

Default Saved by DVD writer....

Had my first harddisk crash of the year... the third or fourth IBM Deskstar that crashed over the past few years.... and just happened to have backuped all my pics using a newly bought DVD writer.... phew....

still in the process of recovering system now. was lucky with email (eudora) which did not need re-installation.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Lemme guess, 75GXP?

I've been using the Deskstars from my first computer till now and never had a problem (including the ill-fated 75GXP, mine only failed becoz my sister kicked my computer and the whole computer fell on the floor, which damaged the 75GXP).

Now I'm using 2 x 60GXP (IBM replaced my 75GXP with a 60GXP) and a 120GXP without any problems. IBM's support is really fantastic!

owned a deathstar?

a few batches of them were destined for death.

congrats

if the HDD still got warranty...hope IBM will gives u a 180GXP, this drive ROCKS! fastest 7200rpm IDE u can find

It's a replacement drive for one which failed last year.... will check out the warranty status.

*** It's under warranty till next year. Will send in for replacement
    Last edited by mpenza; 3rd July 2003 at 02:28 AM.

Originally posted by Wai
    congrats

if the HDD still got warranty...hope IBM will gives u a 180GXP, this drive ROCKS! fastest 7200rpm IDE u can find
    I simply loveeeee the 180GXP..

I just returned from a US Business trip where I continued on with a tour of LA. Shot digital all the way. I managed to burn those which I shot near my office there, but not those LA ones as the company laptop does not have a burner and I do not have access to one in LA.

When I came back, it won't boot. On a desktop PC, the harddisk is unrecognisable. Swapped PCBs, no help. So I lost like 1GB of images.

Regards
    CK

Try recovering the images by using the hdisk as a secondary hdisk?

Originally posted by Wai
    congrats

correction, it's HITACHI will give u a replacement.

IBM's Storage Division was sold to Hitachi already

Originally posted by ckiang
    I just returned from a US Business trip where I continued on with a tour of LA. Shot digital all the way. I managed to burn those which I shot near my office there, but not those LA ones as the company laptop does not have a burner and I do not have access to one in LA.

When I came back, it won't boot. On a desktop PC, the harddisk is unrecognisable. Swapped PCBs, no help. So I lost like 1GB of images.

Regards
    CK
    You can always pay $$$ for professional recovery service...

Regards
    CK
    vulnerability of digital.... film is better
    at least, the images on film never lost suddenly without any good reason...

Originally posted by tsdh
    vulnerability of digital.... film is better
    at least, the images on film never lost suddenly without any good reason...
    Very true. But film has its problems too, like the lab screwing up. Like your camera shutter not working and you don't even know (the latter is true, my sis + bro-in-law shot 12 rolls in Turkey which came out blank. Later they found their EOS 500 shutter not opening)

Try recovering the images by using the hdisk as a secondary hdisk?
    No help. PC just won't recognize that harddisk, master or slave. Even tried a PCB replacement.

You can always pay $$$ for professional recovery service...
    I know.... $400 and up....

Regards
    CK

Default A faulty Mainboard??

Hiee...

Have you ever thought of a faulty MAIN BOARD or part of it....interface or connectors......on the main board?

The problem that you have been facing looks like an intermitent latent failure which may have induced the HDD errors.

OR in some cases due to "PIRATED Beta softwares".

Well.....i have an experience with a laptop whickh killed a couple of CF card. I thought its the CF card problem but its actually the PCMCIA interface on the Mainboard that was faulty.

Got it replaced and problem never came back.!!!!!!!

So try to look at other areas rather than only loooking at the HDD.

Regards,
    Sulhan

Very true. But film has its problems too, like the lab screwing up. Like your camera shutter not working and you don't even know (the latter is true, my sis + bro-in-law shot 12 rolls in Turkey which came out blank. Later they found their EOS 500 shutter not opening)
    Surely film has its own problem, but the chances to lost the images is lower than digital, especially for those photographers on the field. The digital storage system is always fragile, while film will be robust after it was developed.
    Dropping a hard-disk means disaster. A few corrupted bytes in the filesystem means everything lost.

the tHinker
    Guests

Have a IBM 30GGb hdd, only 2.5 years die liao, lost my warranty and receipt, the shop selling the Hdd is also gone, dunno what to do

Anyone knows if they can still exchange hdd without warranty and receipts? After all the manufacture date is printed on the hardisk...

check the warranty online. If it's still valid, you could create an RMA to send back for replacement.

Default Re: A faulty Mainboard??

Originally posted by sulhan
    Hiee...

Have you ever thought of a faulty MAIN BOARD or part of it....interface or connectors......on the main board?

The problem that you have been facing looks like an intermitent latent failure which may have induced the HDD errors.

OR in some cases due to "PIRATED Beta softwares".

Well.....i have an experience with a laptop whickh killed a couple of CF card. I thought its the CF card problem but its actually the PCMCIA interface on the Mainboard that was faulty.

Got it replaced and problem never came back.!!!!!!!

So try to look at other areas rather than only loooking at the HDD.

Regards,
    Sulhan
    Definitely the harddisk, coz it won't be recognized even on a desktop. Changed the 2.5->3.5" adaptor too, won't work. Another one worked fine. Swapped the harddisk's PCB with the working one, no go. Swapped back, the original works fine.

check the warranty online. If it's still valid, you could create an RMA to send back for replacement.
    I don't think can RMA anymore. I wrecked the original PCB while trying to remove it.

It sure pays to invest in a laptop with a CD burner.

Regards
    CK

IBM 75GXP reliable? I was returned this particular model after I sent in for RMA.... willing to let go too if anyone's interested. warranty expires in Feb 2004.
    Last edited by mpenza; 16th July 2003 at 08:34 PM.

Originally posted by mpenza
    IBM 75GXP reliable? I was returned this particular model after I sent in for RMA.... willing to let go too if anyone's interested. warranty expires in Feb 2004.
    it's not!!
    don't ever use it man..
    It's the worst series HDD that IBM produced.

vince123123
    Guests

anyone knows what is a good brand for a 120GB drive to buy? IBM 120GXP is it?
    got a maxtor but it seems to be giving some werid noises...am goign to exhchange it but need to knwo what to exchange for.

thanks

Originally posted by SNAG
    it's not!!
    don't ever use it man..
    It's the worst series HDD that IBM produced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast