Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sick of the job market

Default Re: Sick of the job market

Have you ever think to upgrade the skills (may be) to show the employer that you're the right candidate that they've been looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by dancemania View Post
    Whilst some of us are happily enjoying working life or finding it easy to get from one job to the next, others like me are struggling like crazy. Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by tan131 View Post
    Lastly, when ppl screw you, part of it is cos they care. If they don't bother, they could have just kept quiet.
    Some people screw you for fun, seriously

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...31505846055184

Quote Originally Posted by tan131 View Post
    When you face setbacks, remember this. Frustration and complains will make you feel better but they do not solve anything. The problems will still exist. Focus not on the process of achieving your dream, its also about how u lead your life. Lastly, when ppl screw you, part of it is cos they care. If they don't bother, they could have just kept quiet. Do a youtube search on "The Last Lecture" and perhaps the video can renew your believe and strength. Below are his words, extracted from his last lecture.

"The Brick walls are there for a reason. They are not there to keep us out, they let us prove how badly they want things. Brick walls are there to stop people who didnít want it badly enough. They are there to stop those people.

Itís not how you achieve your dreams, itís how you live your life. If you live your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself, your dreams will come to you.

When you are doing a bad job and nobody points out to you, thatís when they have given on you. When somebody ride you for two hours, it just mean that they care, to make you better."

quoted: Dr Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by photofreek View Post
    Have you ever think to upgrade the skills (may be) to show the employer that you're the right candidate that they've been looking for?
    Yes, I have thought of upgrading skills. Intially I thought of trying to go into the HR line but if you note that most HR jobs require relevant experience or they prefer fresh grads. I felt that I could get a job in this line then I will go and pursue that Grad Diploma. This does not seem to be working. These days alot of ads say : fresh or relevant experience. Very difficult!

I do know what I want but am not getting it. This is frustrating!
    No matter what, wait for the right job (if possible). Don't just accept any job for the sake of getting a job.

I bummed (worked temp jobs) 2 years before getting one I really wanted. Still in same company till now (since 1999).

Quote Originally Posted by lovells19 View Post
    I agree with you. They are so sickening.
    Last edited by dancemania; 20th June 2008 at 10:51 AM.

[QUOTE=NitroTech;4106746]No matter what, wait for the right job (if possible). Don't just accept any job for the sake of getting a job.

I bummed (worked temp jobs) 2 years before getting one I really wanted. Still in same company till now (since 1999). [/QUOTE

Good for you. You have found something you like.

I changed 4 jobs in 8yrs of working, and each time i discover more about myself and where are my strengths and weaknesses, and balancing work n play does make it better.

I don't think there's a perfect job for one, every job has its up and down.

So the last thing you want to do is dwell on your frustration, maybe you should stop, and rethink your direction. HR is a very frustrating and challenging job, you'll get screwed by just about everyone.

I changed 4 jobs in 8yrs of working, and each time i discover more about myself and where are my strengths and weaknesses, and balancing work n play does make it better.

I don't think there's a perfect job for one, every job has its up and down.

So the last thing you want to do is dwell on your frustration, maybe you should stop, and rethink your direction. HR is a very frustrating and challenging job, you'll get screwed by just about everyone.
    Wow! You changed jobs so many times. Just curious: did any of your jobs last less than 1 year?
    Last edited by dancemania; 20th June 2008 at 11:00 AM.

nope min 1year

Whilst some of us are happily enjoying working life or finding it easy to get from one job to the next, others like me are struggling like crazy. Any advice?
    Its a job we all do to make a living and contribute to society. You have to sit down and think about why you are struggling like crazy. There is no perfect job, so you learn to look on the bright side, instead of focusing on why the job sucks.

It would also help to think about what your goals and aspirations are, your strength and weaknesses, and what you want out of your life. Once you are clear, it makes it easier to find something you want to do.

Where you are now is a result of the choices and effort you put in in the past. So think about where you want to be in twenty years time, and then work towards that. And don't just think that you want to be a millionaire. You need something concrete.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

since when work can be forever happy one ? any job after doing for sometime.. it will become boring.

This does not seem to be working. These days alot of ads say : fresh or relevant experience. Very difficult!

I would say it depends
    Some companies (IT industries as I'm aware of) need an experience people to work in some big project.
    That's the reason why one needs to upgrade the skill (knowledge).
    By knowing several topics will enhance the profile and bigger chance to get the position.
    My 0.02 cent

Quote Originally Posted by photofreek View Post
    I would say it depends
    Some companies (IT industries as I'm aware of) need an experience people to work in some big project.
    That's the reason why one needs to upgrade the skill (knowledge).
    By knowing several topics will enhance the profile and bigger chance to get the position.
    My 0.02 cent
    And I forget to add.
    These "companies" are willing to pay well for the right candidate.

Screw them back for revenge, honestly

how about those without a job... ever spared a thought at how they felt?

"!@#$ here i no job everyday eat sand.. my buddy with job only know how to complain..."

A trip to Geylang will be good for them .
    Last edited by Sion; 20th June 2008 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    Its a job we all do to make a living and contribute to society. You have to sit down and think about why you are struggling like crazy. There is no perfect job, so you learn to look on the bright side, instead of focusing on why the job sucks.

It would also help to think about what your goals and aspirations are, your strength and weaknesses, and what you want out of your life. Once you are clear, it makes it easier to find something you want to do.

Where you are now is a result of the choices and effort you put in in the past. So think about where you want to be in twenty years time, and then work towards that. And don't just think that you want to be a millionaire. You need something concrete.
    You make things sound so simple. Of course I have sat down and thought why am struggling. That's why am asking you guys for advice.

Of course, am not aiming to be a millionaire. Like some of you, I just want a comfortable life.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Red face Re: Sick of the job market

Let me assure you alot of ppl have been through this phase, its all part of working life, cant get it move on and learn from your mistake.
    Which part of the interview you need to improve, where you are not satisfy with how u answered the question etc... keep thinking ways to improve. Last but not least u must have a strategy, what are you gona do to get the relvant experience require for your line of work. Then your objective should be getting the exp first etc...
    my 2 cents worth

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    ...And don't just think that you want to be a millionaire.
    You can be one if you have the right combination of numbers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast