Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HDTV?

Default Re: HDTV?

Quote Originally Posted by roDz View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong...u mean u bought a full HD Sharp 42" LCD for $1399? thats a real steal...
    yea, i thought so too, hence the rather impulsive buy. was supposed to go clarke quay for dinner but end up buying a hugeass LCD TV at audio house. hah!

but certainly not regretting it. the image and sound is really good, although its quite an old model.. my only gripe is the design of it.. not as sleek as the sony bravia or samsung ones, but tts one of the least impt factors la.
    Last edited by anglejn; 26th June 2008 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by roDz View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong...u mean u bought a full HD Sharp 42" LCD for $1399? thats a real steal...
    yea, i thought so too, hence the rather impulsive buy. was supposed to go clarke quay for dinner but end up buying a hugeass LCD TV at audio house. hah!

but certainly not regretting it. the image and sound is really good, although its quite an old model.. my only gripe is the design of it.. not as sleek as the sony bravia or samsung ones, but tts one of the least impt factors la.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    aiya, stick to CRTs la. wipe the glass often & images will be tack sharp! polymer screens wipe liao will get microscratches wan (not soo HD with foggy screen).

Now quite difficult to get a brand CRT leh,
    not talking about Akira 29" CRT @ $3xx...

Quote Originally Posted by jimbok View Post
    Starhub and Singtel Mio offers some HD channel packages at some costs, and HD5 is currently free-to-air at the moment. Still too few HD channels to choose from though.
    went to Best today, one of Full HDTV was tuned on HD5, to my surprise, the image was grainy, worse than my 29" CRT showing CH5! How come ah?
    Last edited by sstar; 26th August 2008 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Churchwolf, plasma screens still suffer from screen burning in? I thought that they have mitigated/resolved this problem already.
    It is almost a none issue in todays market and no LCD is still in many ways not as good. Go take a look at a KURO Plasma. You want to see black and contrast. You ain't seen nothing.

LCD is great for sure if lighting is a problem for you as in your viewing room. LCD has better contrast due to it's brighter intensity which is great as it makes watching tv in a room with the curtains drawn back. With a plasma you need to have the curtain drawn to appreciate the subtleties.

The last 2-3 generation already DON'T have that burn in effect and there are ways around the worst case abuse.

You have not seen the best in Plasma yet till you see coming soon the next generation from KURO. The Tv is less then an inche thick in depth ..almost edge to edge and held up but for mounting bolts at the four corners. You almost can't see where all the circuitries went. This was demo late last year or early this year and when it comes out...pricing is pretty good.

Alot of people have no clue to to watch or calibrate their TV. Alot always think the brighter, highest contrast and colouration is all that matters about how to tell what is good and not good. Google some of the best sites with reliable reviews about what truely is the latest factual article and you will know if what you read some of the stuff said here holds water. I am not saying it does not but easily 60 % are just old stories being rehashed over and over again ...not updated.

Quote Originally Posted by sstar View Post
    Now quite difficult to get a brand CRT leh,
    not talking about Akira 29" CRT @ $3xx...
    wah, quite some time liao still dig out this thread? u miss CRTs that much arh?

true, the premium models of brand name CRTs were phased out 2 years ago. they really went the way of the dinosaurs. can try 1 brand, but suffice to say the price u pay can get u an LCD 1 size biggerwith very good image quality.

try Loewe CRTs from Atlas Hifi, they no longer have any in showroom. must ask customer service to liaison. i paid $2400 for a 32" widescreen 2 years back. am i crazy or wad?

still keen?

hey Sammy, my sORe-EyEz think my pics colors are well optimized, free to come over to confirm?
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 26th August 2008 at 10:33 PM. Reason: additional text added

Bro
    I don't know which generation of plasma screens are you comparing, but the information you have is highly misleading.

LCDs cater to the smaller screen market and gamers more, and since there are more budget buyers, their market share is also higher.

LCDs are NOT superior to plasmas, even when comparing a Full HD 1080p LCD to a HD ready Pioneer Plasma (768p)

This whole thing about burn in is exagerated but sales personnel, and unless you use it like those commercial TVs in airports which are switched on 24 / 7 this is quite rare in the home situation.

The color rendition is much better and for moving objects, plasmas are still superior although great strides have been made by LCDs.

If your viewing diet is mainly High Definition, the Full HD LCDs are a nice choice, esp when you take into account the Viewing Distance, others a plasma can be a good balance for SD TV viewing and the venture into Hi Def.

I have reviewed both technologies and plasma, esp Pioneer rocks. But you decide based on your eyes and budget.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Churchwolf View Post
    Each of the techs have different properties, though it is generally accepted that LCD is now the better, more advanced technology. The advantage of Plasma screens used to be the fact that they could display higher contrast due to their ability to render black correctly (something that LCDs had distinct trouble with). Now-a-days LCD tech has improved to the point where the picture is as good, and in some cases much better, than the equivalent Plasma tech. Also, with the ability to now print LCD screens of much larger sizes at affordable prices Plasma is definitely on the way out. Add to that the fact that Plasma screens suffer badly from the effects of "screen-burn" and you can pretty much see why so many main-stream manufacturers are phasing out Plasma production.

LCD is the way to go. No question.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

I watched the whole series of Olympics via HD5 using MIO TV supplied HD box. MIO TV uses telephone line.

Picture clear and sharp, colours vibrant! 42 inch should be the norm for best viewing.

Also, I dun recommend playing games on your living room HD TV, it will shorten the LCD screen life. Should get a separate TV just for gaming, especially the hardcore gamers.
    Last edited by StarAlliance; 26th August 2008 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Bro
    I don't know which generation of plasma screens are you comparing, but the information you have is highly misleading.

LCDs cater to the smaller screen market and gamers more, and since there are more budget buyers, their market share is also higher.

LCDs are NOT superior to plasmas, even when comparing a Full HD 1080p LCD to a HD ready Pioneer Plasma (768p)

This whole thing about burn in is exagerated but sales personnel, and unless you use it like those commercial TVs in airports which are switched on 24 / 7 this is quite rare in the home situation.

The color rendition is much better and for moving objects, plasmas are still superior although great strides have been made by LCDs.

If your viewing diet is mainly High Definition, the Full HD LCDs are a nice choice, esp when you take into account the Viewing Distance, others a plasma can be a good balance for SD TV viewing and the venture into Hi Def.

I have reviewed both technologies and plasma, esp Pioneer rocks. But you decide based on your eyes and budget.

Cheers
    Man after my own heart heheh

Well for more info on HDTV, the myths etc there are local forums to help you along:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=1647542

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?board=12.0

I think the whole LCD vs plasma debate is moot, go with what your eyes tell you. But my eyes have confirmed that plasma is better.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Quote Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
    Well for more info on HDTV, the myths etc there are local forums to help you along:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=1647542

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?board=12.0

I think the whole LCD vs plasma debate is moot, go with what your eyes tell you. But my eyes have confirmed that plasma is better.
    and so have mine, especially after watching the Australian Open on a full HD LCD. the ball was just a blur most of the time, even when they were being bounced before the serve. that just spurred me on to save a bit more to get the Pioneer Kuro, and now I'm having nothing but bliss watching my programs. the recent Olympics was shown on HD over here in Australia (shoddy coverage though), and I was very VERY thankful I got the plasma Kuro over some LCD model that claims to give 100mhz motion rendering technology but made anything with fast motion in it look like a blur.

as for screen burn in... I've had no such issues with mine so far, even though I use it as a desktop monitor/games monitor for my PS3. and besides, if you're really pedantic about screen burn in, it's as easy as just switching to another channel for a couple of seconds, before switching back.
    chicken fight!

I have been using my current 42" plasma TV for more than 4 years already, fed with daily diet of TV programmes and occasional dvd movies. My TV never has any issue with screen burn.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12