Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDTV?

Default HDTV?

What's the use of putting money into HDTV, without increasing the quality of the home made tv programs?

I'll rather watch a normal definition show which is of great quality than a crappy HDTV show.

Default Re: HDTV?

You can also watch dvds...the colours are quite good...but i still think HDTV is still expensive,perhap should just get HD ready for the time being...

Starhub and Singtel Mio offers some HD channel packages at some costs, and HD5 is currently free-to-air at the moment. Still too few HD channels to choose from though.
    My **flickr Album

If you buy HDTV, will you buy LCD or Plasma? What's the different?

Quote Originally Posted by cckue View Post
    If you buy HDTV, will you buy LCD or Plasma? What's the different?
    Each of the techs have different properties, though it is generally accepted that LCD is now the better, more advanced technology. The advantage of Plasma screens used to be the fact that they could display higher contrast due to their ability to render black correctly (something that LCDs had distinct trouble with). Now-a-days LCD tech has improved to the point where the picture is as good, and in some cases much better, than the equivalent Plasma tech. Also, with the ability to now print LCD screens of much larger sizes at affordable prices Plasma is definitely on the way out. Add to that the fact that Plasma screens suffer badly from the effects of "screen-burn" and you can pretty much see why so many main-stream manufacturers are phasing out Plasma production.

LCD is the way to go. No question.
    Cameras: Rollei 35, Rolleiflex-T, FinePix F700, Nikon D60, D300
    Pics: Churchwolf's Album.

Churchwolf, plasma screens still suffer from screen burning in? I thought that they have mitigated/resolved this problem already.

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Churchwolf, plasma screens still suffer from screen burning in? I thought that they have mitigated/resolved this problem already.
    They have a mechanism that cleans up the screen-burn after it's happened... But the other problem is the lifespan of the gas in the Plasma. Like it or not, after 3-4 years the screen will already be noticeably dimmer.
    Alpha

aiya, stick to CRTs la. wipe the glass often & images will be tack sharp! polymer screens wipe liao will get microscratches wan (not soo HD with foggy screen).

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    aiya, stick to CRTs la. wipe the glass often & images will be tack sharp! polymer screens wipe liao will get microscratches wan (not soo HD with foggy screen).
    CRT is not so good for watching "300" on Blu-Ray.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    They have a mechanism that cleans up the screen-burn after it's happened... But the other problem is the lifespan of the gas in the Plasma. Like it or not, after 3-4 years the screen will already be noticeably dimmer.
    Mechanism to clean up screen burn? Wow! Can share a link to explain such mechanism?
    Plasma start to dimmer with 3~4 years? What about the lamp of the LCD, wouldn't they start to dimmer about that time too?
    TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Mechanism to clean up screen burn? Wow! Can share a link to explain such mechanism?
    Plasma start to dimmer with 3~4 years? What about the lamp of the LCD, wouldn't they start to dimmer about that time too?
    TIA.
    LCD lamps don't fade; they just die, and then you just replace the lamp and it's back to new. As for the mechanisms, every manufacturer has a different technique. Depends which one you're looking at.
    Alpha

LCD lamps don't fade; they just die, and then you just replace the lamp and it's back to new.
    Ah! Learnt another thing today. All the while I thought that LCD lamps will fade as the operational hours increase.

CRT is not so good for watching "300" on Blu-Ray.
    ah, not all CRTs r the same LCDs too. same specs but reality-wise the proof is in the pictures. then a decent sound system paired together to complete the movie experience.

Old is gold? Haha.

I think now is the time to get HDTV... one word Olympics.

I would love to see it in High Definition, wouldn't you?

../azul123

ah, not all CRTs r the same LCDs too. same specs but reality-wise the proof is in the pictures. then a decent sound system paired together to complete the movie experience.
    True enough. CRT is actually the most robust tech, but something that really works against CRT TVs is the weight. Nobody on earth will want to lend you a crane to haul your 3 tonne 60" CRT TV up to your lounge room. If you really want this kind of tech then SED TVs are your only option. Virtually the same principle as CRT TVs without the bulk. Then again, at the moment it looks like SEDs are going to be dead on arival. Also they are likely to suffer the same "burn in" problems that CRTs do. Certainly the "screen shift" functions incorporated into these TVs helps, but it still doesn't work in instances where you have a constant larger logo displayed on the screen (like many video games and damn sports channels).

For simplicity LCD is the way to go.
    Cameras: Rollei 35, Rolleiflex-T, FinePix F700, Nikon D60, D300
    Pics: Churchwolf's Album.

Like it or not, after 3-4 years the screen will already be noticeably dimmer.
    So bad meh..actually they're rated to have far better longevity when compared with standard CRT television. CRT also dims but we hardly notices. Plasma should last much much longer. Of course those old generation plasma dont say lah..

Quote Originally Posted by Churchwolf View Post
    True enough. CRT is actually the most robust tech, but something that really works against CRT TVs is the weight. Nobody on earth will want to lend you a crane to haul your 3 tonne 60" CRT TV up to your lounge room. If you really want this kind of tech then SED TVs are your only option. Virtually the same principle as CRT TVs without the bulk. Then again, at the moment it looks like SEDs are going to be dead on arival. Also they are likely to suffer the same "burn in" problems that CRTs do. Certainly the "screen shift" functions incorporated into these TVs helps, but it still doesn't work in instances where you have a constant larger logo displayed on the screen (like many video games and damn sports channels).

For simplicity LCD is the way to go.
    for the undetered can have things custom built, owners of screens that big could well afford wad. how does 20mm 60" shatter proof B&W multi-coated glass panel for TV sounds?

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Old is gold? Haha.
    of course! mine kicks butt wan okie! dun play-play...

haha i dun bother with local FTA programmes. use my Full HD LCD for gaming and Cable.. and EURO CUP!

not bad laa, bought a 42" SHARP LC42G7M for $1399 from audio house, i think it was worth it.

i think LCDs are just as good as plasma, if not better now. and LCDs are improving.. with bigger and better models coming out. while the trend and demand for plasmas are going downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by anglejn View Post
    haha i dun bother with local FTA programmes. use my Full HD LCD for gaming and Cable.. and EURO CUP!

not bad laa, bought a 42" SHARP LC42G7M for $1399 from audio house, i think it was worth it.

i think LCDs are just as good as plasma, if not better now. and LCDs are improving.. with bigger and better models coming out. while the trend and demand for plasmas are going downhill.
    correct me if i'm wrong...u mean u bought a full HD Sharp 42" LCD for $1399? thats a real steal...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast