Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which LCD Monitor to buy

Default Re: Which LCD Monitor to buy

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    At the recent PC show...... I was looking for the 20" UltraSharp, but they are selling the 22" version at the same price. So, grab the 22" one lor.

I think you could order Dell's LCD on their website..... The price of $459 was PC Show price.... not sure how much they selling on the internet.
    went down to the Dell showroom at FUnan yesterday and saw the Dell E248WFP ( @S$609 ) there were suppose to be the ultrasharp series. They look sharp and seems vivid in color for photo work to me.How's your monitor now? any FR review? =)

Quote Originally Posted by horizon_grazer View Post
    Yup, had got myself a 27in Samsung 275T at the IT fair

Everything look nicer on the new big monitor screen (Viewing angle is good)

Beside photo-editing, had interest in gaming as well
    therefore S-PVA panel is a good compromise between speed & viewing angle

My personal opinion is that you won't go back to TN panels after having
    owning S-PVA or IPS monitor panels

But be prepared to burn a hole in your pocket
    Sometimes, have to bite the bullet

All the best to TS monitor search
    wow 27" love to have that too but monetary constrains does not allows that at the moment. but I did compare the 245T @S$1035(S-PVA) mentioned above with the TN of 2493mh ( @S$899). NOw I know the differences between a TN and S-PVA. =) but they both out of my budget at the moment.... =(

no chanceto view the LG L246WH though. Found the showroom but it's not on display, the fellow told me I can purchase it and he can bring it out for me.....well, I guess I am not ready to purchase something that I have not had chance to see.. but the price was 599.

I am also considering Philips 220CW at S$459. Any comments of Philips monitor? I can't seem to find ANY information on this monitor online Anyone has this monitor? can share?

Below are afew on my mind currently, love to have some comments on them

- Samsung 2493MH ( if I can get it at 599 )
    - LG L246WH ( @ S$456 )
    - Dellultrsharp E248WFP ( @609 )
    - Philips 220cw ( @459 )

Quote Originally Posted by fabianaino View Post
    went down to the Dell showroom at FUnan yesterday and saw the Dell E248WFP ( @S$609 ) there were suppose to be the ultrasharp series. They look sharp and seems vivid in color for photo work to me.How's your monitor now? any FR review? =)
    I don't have any experience with the E248WFP, just want to point out that it is not an Ultrasharp, and it uses a TN panel (6 bits). The 24" Ultrasharp is the 2408WFP and has a S-PVA panel.

For those who are interested in the NEC and do not wish to pay the price, NEC uses Philips-LG panels, and I believe there are a few models from these two companies which offer similar performance.

Sorry.... I don't think that E248WFP is the ultrasharp model..... I'm not very good at 'reviewing'.... since every body have very much a difference point of view. All I can say is that I'm really in love with my new 22'' LCD.

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
    I don't have any experience with the E248WFP, just want to point out that it is not an Ultrasharp, and it uses a TN panel (6 bits). The 24" Ultrasharp is the 2408WFP and has a S-PVA panel.
    Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Sorry.... I don't think that E248WFP is the ultrasharp model..... I'm not very good at 'reviewing'.... since every body have very much a difference point of view. All I can say is that I'm really in love with my new 22'' LCD.
    arrrh...just found out that E248WFP is NOT an ULTRASHARP .. =(
    the 2408WFP is S$959. It looks pretty good while I was at DELL showroom at Funan.

Arrgghh....

Dell E248WFP 24" or Dell UltraSharp™ 2208WFP 22"

which is better? or other brand?

My budget is about 650 for a 24inch... or 500 for a 22inch.. if there is a 22inch with a higher grade... i dun mind paying more..

can help advice? getting this end of mth..
    *~EDMW behkan Photography club~* Visit My Gallery!

1 important thing to note......

A 22'' LCD is 'quite' wide...... since I sit only at around half a metre from the LCD.... sometimes you will have this feeling that you can't 'see' both corner at the same time. Much like sitting in the front roll while watching a movie in GV.

I think the problem would be much worst if I gotton myself the 24" version

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by Dearboy87 View Post
    Dell E248WFP 24" or Dell UltraSharp™ 2208WFP 22"

which is better? or other brand?

My budget is about 650 for a 24inch... or 500 for a 22inch.. if there is a 22inch with a higher grade... i dun mind paying more..

can help advice? getting this end of mth..
    if can, save abit more and get Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP, it got all the connectors you need too, you can change it if got only 1 dead/bright pixal. I got mine at PC show for 889 with 5yrs next business day 1 to 1 exchange, too good to resisted

24" can be abit wide/big for some and me, now I can't sit too near already

if you are seriious about getting better results from your editing, preferrably go for SPVA or IPS panels.
    LG and Philips "PRO" series will have IPS panels - but they are really a rare find cause most shops in SLS will only carry consumer grade ie TN panels. a couple of months ago i was searching for a monitor as well and chanced by a (the only one left in their stock) 19" 4:3 philip pro IPS panel going for like under $600.
    Dell used to have a pretty good panel Ultrasharp 2007FWP which is a IPS panel (the one i ended up buying). Its a pity they don't have it anymore.

For SPVA, look to Samsung. If your budget is limited, i suggest getting a smaller but better monitor like a 20" PVA/IPS rather than a 24" TN panel.

good luck on your hunt!

Hi guys, sorry if this is a noob qn... but can anyone explain what are IPS, TN and SPVA panels? Am looking for new LCD for photo editing and gaming as well.

Looking at samsung 225Mw or 2253BW. The 2493HM is tempting esp if its 599!
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

LCD Panel Technology Explained

I do notice my Dell 2407 (SPVA panel) really have colour shift problem when view at different angle
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Thanks... found that link too... so are all samsung panels TN based?

Colors on most Samsung monitors are not accurate enough for critical graphic/photography applications. Most of the time images turn out too magenta or too cyan.
    Last edited by photobum; 27th June 2008 at 06:52 AM.

Oooh... so what monitors do you guys use?

Quote Originally Posted by zonerx View Post
    if can, save abit more and get Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP, it got all the connectors you need too, you can change it if got only 1 dead/bright pixal. I got mine at PC show for 889 with 5yrs next business day 1 to 1 exchange, too good to resisted

24" can be abit wide/big for some and me, now I can't sit too near already
    Hey...I came to the same conclusion !

Well, figured the 5 year on-site, next day service was worth a lot more than it seems. I have a Viewsonic VP930B which I have had to send in for servicing 2 times already due to some component burning out and created a fantastic magenta colour shift on high contrast areas.

Also, perhaps by the end of 5 years, OMLED Monitors would have hit mainstream prices already!

Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    Oooh... so what monitors do you guys use?
    I use both the NEC 2090uxi and Eizo ColorEdge CG221. The NEC is really value for money consider that it covers about 96% of the Adobe RGB gamut when calibrated properly.

my god ..after two weeks I am still deciding which monitor to buy

I have short listed two so far .. stretching my budget alittle

the two options are below :
    1) Dell 2408WFP
    2) Samsung 245T

Just wanna check is the samsung 245T a TN or VA panel. I got alittle confuse when I found their brochure and on page two, it seems to indicate that it's a TN panel. Can anyone confirm?
    The link : http://www.samsung.com/us/pdf/C07009...t_final_LR.pdf

The Samsung 245T is a S-PVA panel. The brochure is wrong apparently. I would get the 245T in a blink of an eye if I had the budget.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_245t.htm

Just wanna check is the samsung 245T a TN or VA panel. I got alittle confuse when I found their brochure and on page two, it seems to indicate that it's a TN panel. Can anyone confirm?
    According to Anandtech it uses a S-PVA panel, but manufacturers sometimes switch panels without switching model name.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3221

some comments:-

- a 22" monitor has 1680X1050 pixels while a 24" has 1920X1200. other than photo editing, the higher resolution will allow you to run full HD DVDs/Blu-ray Discs through a HDMI cable (HDMI is rare on 22" monitors).

- for photo editing S-PVA would be better than TN. IPS is the best but even more expensive than S-PVA.

- check for 1:1 pixel mapping. the Dell 2406, LG246 and BenQ G2400W all have it but not the 24" Samsungs or the Phillips.

- another comment on the Samsungs - make sure you try out the monitor controls and see if you like them. I hated them - difficult to differentiate by touch and way too sensitive

- overall, unless you can afford the Dell 2408, I would recommend the BenQ if you can get it at the PC show price of $629; 2nd choice is LG at $599

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast