Thread: Death of the incandescent bulbs?

Default Death of the incandescent bulbs?

NZ, Oz to ban use of incandescent bulbs
    WELLINGTON — New Zealand will ban traditional light bulb sales from October
    next year to cut greenhouse gas emissions and save up to half a billion dollars in energy
    costs over 12 years, the government said yesterday.
    Energy Minister David Parker said incandescent bulbs would be phased out
    and replaced with compact fluorescent bulbs across the country.
    “The traditional light bulb is very old technology and inefficient,” said Mr Parker
    in a statement.
    “Only 5 per cent of the energy it uses generates light — the rest is wasted as
    heat,” said Mr Parker in a statement. The sales ban will take effect next
    year, the same time as neighbour Australia introduces a similar ban.
    Unlike Australia, New Zealanders will be allowed to import old-style light bulbs
    into the country for personal use. Government spokeswoman on energy
    efficiency and conservation Jeanette Fitzsimons said: “New Zealanders will be able
    to save almost NZ$500 million ($514 million) by 2020, just by changing the lights.” AP

Default Re: Death of the incandescent bulbs?

we've switched out traffic lights to LEDs years back!

& why not LEDs for a change? they're lumen output is increasing by leaps & bounds too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenscapes View Post
    ...“Only 5 per cent of the energy it uses generates light — the rest is wasted as
    heat,” said Mr Parker in a statement.
    New Sealand is going to get a lot colder.

and the Incandescent Bulb WB setting in cameras is of no use anymore

The only trouble with Compact Fluorescent Bulbs is that they contain Mercury, so you have to dispose of the bulbs more carefully.

We can't have batteries with mercury but people are being pushed to use light bulbs with them. Interesting, that.

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    and the Incandescent Bulb WB setting in cameras is of no use anymore
    Wrap the flourescent bulbs with yellow cellophane and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    The only trouble with Compact Fluorescent Bulbs is that they contain Mercury, so you have to dispose of the bulbs more carefully.

We can't have batteries with mercury but people are being pushed to use light bulbs with them. Interesting, that.
    I read that technology is catching up in this area. Low mercury CFs will be available soon. Don't remember the source of that information...so take it with a pinch of salt.

I am using daylight balanced CFs in my room and it looked really good. Cannot stand the warm incandescant lights. In my office, I also changed the fluorescent tubes to daylight ones.

LEDs are really great, but I am not away of full spectrum ones yet. And they are too expensive now to replace main household lighting.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh View Post
    I read that technology is catching up in this area. Low mercury CFs will be available soon. Don't remember the source of that information...so take it with a pinch of salt.

I am using daylight balanced CFs in my room and it looked really good. Cannot stand the warm incandescant lights. In my office, I also changed the fluorescent tubes to daylight ones.

LEDs are really great, but I am not away of full spectrum ones yet. And they are too expensive now to replace main household lighting.
    I hope you're right. It seems that we're getting rid of mercury everywhere else so that we can just introduce it somewhere else. Of course, since the lifetime of these bulbs is much greater, the risk isn't so bad, I suppose.

It's great that there is more than one brand of Fluorescent full spectrum lighting now. I've been using Ott-Lite lamps since the early 1990s and their replacement bulbs are really expensive. Unfortunately, most places I've been have the yellow-ish bulbs and they're still not cheap because they're something relatively new.

Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    I hope you're right. It seems that we're getting rid of mercury everywhere else so that we can just introduce it somewhere else. Of course, since the lifetime of these bulbs is much greater, the risk isn't so bad, I suppose.

It's great that there is more than one brand of Fluorescent full spectrum lighting now. I've been using Ott-Lite lamps since the early 1990s and their replacement bulbs are really expensive. Unfortunately, most places I've been have the yellow-ish bulbs and they're still not cheap because they're something relatively new.
    Anyway, there is mercury in the standard fluorescent tubes also, which are already in popular use.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Anyway, there is mercury in the standard fluorescent tubes also, which are already in popular use.
    Right, and all these LCD computer displays we've been using until just recently use fluorescent tubes. Now, I'm starting to think about watches, mp3 players, phones, and just about every other electrically-powered item...ugggggh.

reason may be that its discreet size meant a whole new line of electronics to be reworked. currently there are LEDs that are as efficient as fluorocent bulbs. they are now more widely used as signal lights in automotives, decorative lightings (eg. City Hall MRT), safety lights for stairs, bulbs for flashlights, plug-in dimmers (commonly found in DIY shops) for domestic applications among others.

i wonder why those decorative Christmas lights dun use LEDs yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    i wonder why those decorative Christmas lights dun use LEDs yet.
    I saw such lights in the stores last Christmas but they were about 4 times the price of the incandescent strands.