Thread: Picture quality degrade for close up filters?

Default Picture quality degrade for close up filters?

Hi all, as mention above, will the picture quality degrade for close up filters? Is the more the "+" will degrade the picture quality? Which mean "+4" is worse then "+1"?

Thank you very much in advance~

Default Re: Picture quality degrade for close up filters?

In general the higher the diopter the more degradation the image quality.

Single element close up filters with poor coatings can cause more significant degradation over the periphery of the image, and also unwanted flares if unwanted light is incidental.

But for highly corrected double element close up filters ( the ones that are more pricey ) , the degradation is almost negligible. Canon 250D / 500D for example are one of the many double element close up filters. Zork makes a really expensive +12 close up filter that you are better off getting a dedicated macro lens.

Ryan

oic... thanks for the info... thought of getting a "+4" hoya closeup filter....

i recently got hold of hoya +4 and i bought 2 from Buy and sell, seems okay..

Quote Originally Posted by liionel View Post
    i recently got hold of hoya +4 and i bought 2 from Buy and sell, seems okay..
    As long as you do not stack them , qualities of dual element close up filters should give pretty good results.

I got myself a Hoya +10 dual element close up filter for my 50mm prime ( since i am too lazy to bring a dedicated macro lens for holidays, a small close up filter for the occassion is much lighter ) . The results are pretty good too.
    ( At least for me .. )

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by oTaRu View Post
    Hi all, as mention above, will the picture quality degrade for close up filters? Is the more the "+" will degrade the picture quality? Which mean "+4" is worse then "+1"?

Thank you very much in advance~
    probably. more extreme = more degradation usually, for add-ons.

but it also depends on your tolerance for image degradation. sometimes, personally, if you must use the add-on.. then just bite the bullet. you will get image degradation, but hardly something which will be seen unless you make large prints.